• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
    two things really but was does SMDL mean?

the other thing is the significance of July/August since the decision on the JR was made in May?
    When was the August 31st Deadline announced?

I believe that from whenever that was announced anyone who was previously referring to FOS citing delays or judicial review would have likely held off until they got their final response.

Comment

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Originally posted by skv123 View Post
      When was the August 31st Deadline announced?

I believe that from whenever that was announced anyone who was previously referring to FOS citing delays or judicial review would have likely held off until they got their final response.
      That deadline was for the BANKS to have a decision, not the FOS. There is a distinction in that issue. The BANKS could no longer delay providing information to the FOS to decide cases anymore. In fact, Barclays supposedly was paying out no questions asked.
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

announced in mid/late may that banks would be paying back
        then it was announced that the backlog had to be cleared by aug 31st in early June
        so noone would have sent anything to fos in June/July/Aug until the final decision had come out,
        As the entire backlog had not been cleared and the time to submit a claim to Fos anyone in their right mind would have given the banks 3-4 weeks from the end of Aug to get their final decisions out

smdl is a final decision rejecting the claim giving 6 month fos rights. However a lot of the major lenders agreed that the 6 month time clock wouldnt start clicking until the JR decision had been released and that a claim would not be time barred.

Hence the low number submitted to FOS

Expect this number to explode when Jan/Feb / MArch 2012 figures are released due to the number of rejections being issued by capital one, black horse, barclaycard, lloyds etc . if the number doesnt explode, doesnt mean the number of ppi claims have been reduced, they are still increasing massively, means the lenders are settling more of them without the need to go to fos

p.s anyone with any experience of winning a fos claim v capital one - most dont win and wondering what you think makes the difference for fos to rule against cap one
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        p.s the point is there was no point sending a claim to fos during this period to get into a 2 year queue, you were better of waiting for the aug 31st deadline to pass and see if the lender would settle it themselves , which most have done
        Last edited by MBD23; 19th October 2011, 18:49:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

What is the current timescale for receipt of the acceptance form to payout with Lloyds?

I'm up to almost 7 weeks from the confirmed receipt of the acceptance form......

Comment

That deadline was for the BANKS to have a decision, not the FOS. There is a distinction in that issue. The BANKS could no longer delay providing information to the FOS to decide cases anymore. In fact, Barclays supposedly was paying out no questions asked.
            Yes and once consumers were aware the banks would have a decision by a set date the referrals to the FOS due to the delay would have significantly reduced...
            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
            What is the current timescale for receipt of the acceptance form to payout with Lloyds?

I'm up to almost 7 weeks from the confirmed receipt of the acceptance form......
            Lloyds are being awful with this. I phoned them yesterday with once that is 9 weeks from them providing the figures and they were unable to tell me whether redress had been sent or not. They really seem to be in a mess at present. I'd chase them directly to find out and be happy that they've finally taken Dido off their hold music.
            Last edited by skv123; 20th October 2011, 14:50:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

House of Commons Written Answer: PPI Mis-selling

Emma Reynolds (Lab: Wolverhampton North East) asked HMT what information the Department holds on the average waiting time for resolution of complaints by the Financial Services Ombudsman for cases involving the mis-selling of payment protection insurance. Responding, Mark Hoban stated:

''The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is operationally independent of Government. According to their annual review, 41% of all complaints (including payment protection insurance (PPI)) were settled within three months, 70% within six months, 81% within nine months and 87% within 12 months. Their latest published quarterly figures show that they received 56,025 new cases about PPI between April and June 2011. HM Treasury does not hold more detailed information on waiting times than the data the FOS publishes.''

''There is currently a large number of PPI complaints at the FOS due to a build-up of claims following the banks’ earlier refusal to deal with cases during the British Bankers’ Association’s judicial review of the FSA and the FOS’s approach to PPI. The FOS is currently working closely with the banks to ensure cases can be resolved as soon as possible.''

Comment

p.s anyone with any experience of winning a fos claim v capital one - most dont win and wondering what you think makes the difference for fos to rule against cap one

As a general rule you will not win at FOS against Cap One unless they are self employed (even then it depends upon when it was sold) or the client has a pre existing med.

It appears that the FOS is happy with there sales processes, as the product they offer is not a bad one and not badly priced.

Comment

FSA fines Capital One for PPI sales failures

The FSA weren't always happy with their sales process.

Comment

FSA fines Capital One for PPI sales failures

The FSA weren't always happy with their sales process.

Agreed, but the FOS only uphold 13% and the majority of those fit the criteria i have mentioned above.

http://www.ombudsman-complaints-data.org.uk/

Comment

It looks like the BBA have only just settled the FOS's Judicial Review costs - a good 4 or 5 months after they became due.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...dminutes11.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by seller 17 View Post

As a general rule you will not win at FOS against Cap One unless they are self employed (even then it depends upon when it was sold) or the client has a pre existing med.

It appears that the FOS is happy with there sales processes, as the product they offer is not a bad one and not badly priced.
                        I have an ongoing complaint with the FOS about Cap One. The FOS rejected it despite my being able to illustrate that the mis-sale took place right in the middle of the period that the FSA fined them for poor practise and controls. Cap One were unable to provide any evidence to counteract my claim that they had mis-sold the policy over the phone in exactly the circumstances they were fined for. The FOS took their side! The adjudicator made reference to 'the balance of probability' throughout his rejection letter and when I had a heated discussion with him to point out that given the fact they had been fined for mis-selling in exactly these circumstances at that time then surely the 'balance of probability' should be weighted in the favour of the consumer. No. The complaint has now been escalated to the Ombudsman level and I wait with bated breath. I smell a rat.

Comment

Here is one for everyone, following the court ruling and the need for lenders to look at older cases. Please comment and let me know your thoughts. I have a claim in with Next. It is old, but PPI was applied to the account without the express consent of the client. I have received a letter from Next which very helpfully points out to me that they did mis-sell the insurance but that because of the age of it and that they were not covered by the FOS at that point there is nothing I can do. Their letter actually states about PPI that between 1988 and 1993 "When customers opened an account they paid into the scheme automatically, unless we received a letter asking for this not to happen." later it says " I need to let you know that while the policy was automatically added to the account, it could have been cancelled at any time."
                          They then say that the FOS won't/can't handle the complaint so go away. Surely with a blatant admittance of mis-selling like this there is some recourse other than the courts open to us?

Comment

Originally posted by roffster View Post
                            Here is one for everyone, following the court ruling and the need for lenders to look at older cases. Please comment and let me know your thoughts. I have a claim in with Next. It is old, but PPI was applied to the account without the express consent of the client. I have received a letter from Next which very helpfully points out to me that they did mis-sell the insurance but that because of the age of it and that they were not covered by the FOS at that point there is nothing I can do. Their letter actually states about PPI that between 1988 and 1993 "When customers opened an account they paid into the scheme automatically, unless we received a letter asking for this not to happen." later it says " I need to let you know that while the policy was automatically added to the account, it could have been cancelled at any time."
                            They then say that the FOS won't/can't handle the complaint so go away. Surely with a blatant admittance of mis-selling like this there is some recourse other than the courts open to us?
                            It is a matter for the FOS to decide if they can/will handle a complaint. Not Next.

Time barring and pre-2005 sales
                            Some firms argued that complaints about pre-2005 sales should not be included in the
                            scope of our Handbook provisions because they are all or mostly already out of time to be
                            considered on their merits (i.e. they are ‘time barred’ under our existing DISP rules).

We disagree with this view. Decisions concerning the time barring of individual
                            complaints are ultimately for the FOS to make, but in general terms, our view (as set
                            out in CP10/6 para 3.14), is that general media coverage of the PPI issue, including
                            comments or publications by us, would not be enough to have given a consumer the kind
                            of specific ‘constructive knowledge’ required by DISP’s time limits.

Accordingly, while some consumers who bought PPI before January 2005 may, on an
                            assessment of their individual circumstances and events, be deemed to have had appropriate
                            awareness before January 2008, such that they will be out of time by January 2011, our view
                            is that this is unlikely to apply to consumers generally (though that is ultimately a decision for
                            the FOS to make concerning complaints referred to it).

Conclusion on pre-2005 sales
                            There is nothing in firms’ responses which leads us to consider it necessary to retract
                            from our statement in the open letter concerning pre-2005 sales or to carve out
                            complaints about these sales from the scope of our final provisions. To do either would
                            leave substantially unaddressed the poor handling of a very significant proportion of PPI
                            complaints, and thus the significant potential consumer detriment caused by many of
                            these sales.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/policy/ps10_12.pdf

Why not call the FOS helpline (0800 023 4567) and ask them?

Comment

The FSA are acting on the mis-selling of packaged current accounts and, rightly, want to bring them in line with the selling of insurance:

They'll have to:

• Check whether the customer is eligible to claim under each policy and share that information with them;
                              • Provide customers with an annual eligibility statement prompting them to check whether their circumstances have changed and whether the policies continue to meet their needs, and;
                              • If the sales adviser is recommending a packaged account they must establish whether each policy is suitable for the customer and alert them if some are not.

FSA increases customer protection in packaged account market

Comment

They'll have to:

Check whether the customer is eligible to claim under each policy and share that information with them;
                                Provide customers with an annual eligibility statement prompting them to check whether their circumstances have changed and whether the policies continue to meet their needs, and;
                                If the sales adviser is recommending a packaged account they must establish whether each policy is suitable for the customer and alert them if some are not.

Oh dear I get a feeling this is another fine mess they have gotten their selves into pmsl

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X