• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Originally posted by JDEH View Post
    "In relation to the reference to the sales process in store, there is no requirement upon us to record the sales process and so we have no way of knowing what took place on (date)"

This would be true as the store would be responsible for the sales process.

As for policies sold not sold in-store, who was the distributor?

The Policy Statement states that ''Distributors are responsible for maintaining a compliant sales process, and therefore should be responsible for redress''

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/policy/ps10_12.pdf

Selling PPI is a regulated activity and as such anyone selling it is under an obligation to be able to demonstrate that their sales processes are compliant. Ignorance is no defence.

Comment

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Originally posted by EXC View Post
      This would be true as the store would be responsible for the sales process.

As for policies sold not sold in-store, who was the distributor?

The Policy Statement states that ''Distributors are responsible for maintaining a compliant sales process, and therefore should be responsible for redress''

Selling PPI is a regulated activity and as such anyone selling it is under an obligation to be able to demonstrate that their sales processes are compliant. Ignorance is no defence.
      My understanding was that the store sold its own brand store cards, which were probably funded by a third party - perhaps Abbey - (is that what you mean by a "distributor"?). This third party was subsequently taken over by Santander. The store cards are typically Debenhams, Evans and Monsoon.
      If my understanding is correct, who is respondible for the sale and does the FOS have any role to play when Santander and/or the FLA rejects the claim?
      JDEH

Comment

is it confirmed that HBOS are paying out no quibble then or is it just that they will be sorting it all by 31st august like everyone else... ?

don't wanna get too excited just yet..

Comment

Originally posted by Paul210 View Post
          MBD - I spoke with a team leader at lloyds about this (see my prev post), she said that the issue only effected the last 3 working days (if you beleive her) and that in due course they will be sent out. Under DISP rules they are supposed to correspond with 3rd parties where authority states so, I reminded them of this and requested copies immediately. She advised best to email customer.care.insurance@lloydstsb.co.uk and said they would provide. I sent mine over 3.30 y-day, no response yet but this seems the best option.

thanks , have you heard anything from the email address?

Comment

Originally posted by JDEH View Post
            My understanding was that the store sold its own brand store cards, which were probably funded by a third party - perhaps Abbey - (is that what you mean by a "distributor"?). This third party was subsequently taken over by Santander. The store cards are typically Debenhams, Evans and Monsoon.
            If my understanding is correct, who is respondible for the sale and does the FOS have any role to play when Santander and/or the FLA rejects the claim?
            JDEH
            The Debenhams store card site says that ''Debenhams acts as a credit intermediary and only offers credit products for Santander Cards UK Limited''. Credit and Store Card Information from Debenhams Personal Finance Debenhams Personal Finance

The FSA defines an insurance intermediary activity here Glossary Definition

The Policy Statement isn't particularly clear as to the liability of an intermediary in PPI mis-selling:

The role of insurers and lenders in mis-selling PPI
            Concerning provider/distributor responsibilities, where a firm is an authorised general
            insurance intermediary, it is not bound, unless by contractual terms, to offer a particular
            PPI policy provided by a lender. Indeed, in some cases, doing so may not be treating
            customers fairly.37 Distributors are responsible for maintaining a compliant sales process,
            and therefore should be responsible for redress, where a failing arose from the manner in
            which the product was sold. If brokers feel that undue pressure was placed upon them by
            lenders or insurers, they may separately have recourse to the courts if they so choose.

The issues in relation to agency law (e.g. whether the broker is acting (as agent) on the
            part of the insured or the insurer (as principal)) are complex and fact specific, depending
            on both the individual contractual arrangements between the parties and the specific
            facts surrounding a particular sale. Again, brokers may separately have recourse to the
            courts if they so choose.

Accordingly, we remain of the view that our Handbook text concerning PPI complaints and
            redress is appropriately positioned in its emphasis on the seller of the policy, and we are not
            making any changes to it in this regard.

Brokers have the right under DISP to forward PPI sales complaints to other firms
            DISP 1.7.1R permits a firm to forward a complaint to another firm where it has reasonable
            grounds to be satisfied that that other firm may be solely or jointly responsible for the
            matter alleged in the complaint.

Insofar as a complaint is about the failings set out in the open letter and our Handbook text
            we take the view that the ‘matter’ complained of is about the sale of the PPI, as opposed
            to a complaint about the underlying product. In our opinion, such a complaint is properly
            directed at the firm who sold the PPI and therefore firms are unlikely to have grounds to
            forward that complaint on under DISP 1.7.1R.

Santander took over Debenhams store card business in Jan 2009 when they bought GE Capital Bank.

In 2007 the FSA fined GE Capital Bank £610k for failings in PPI sales - largely Debenhams store card PPI. FSA fines GE Capital Bank

So it may be that the rule-of-thumb that mis-sales of PPI are the liability of the seller and not the insurer doesn't apply to a sole intermediary of store cards PPI.

If I were you I'd make a quick call to the FOS helpline who should be able to give you a definitive answer 0800 023 4567.

Comment

Originally posted by MBD23 View Post
              thanks , have you heard anything from the email address?
              No response as yet, I chased up with them yesterday and they advised can take upto 3 working days to respond to emails depending on volumes received so may be monday.

I have however today received copies of response letters issued yesterday so it looks like the issue has been resolved going forward so thats something at least.

Comment

UPDATE FROM LTSB

apparantly when lloyds say they will deal with judicial review cases in chronological order they dont quite know what that means, I've seen responses on complaints lodged in dec and jan this morning while I still have complaints from oct/nov outstanding.

Upon speaking to LTSB about this it appears they place a loose interpretation on chronological, aparrantly if your account number starts with 100xxxxxxxx then its being looked at now, in date order, if however it starts with 1000xxxxxxxx then theyve not even started on it yet, even if it is one of the early ones. For the sake of an extra 0 it looks like there could be yet more delays.

Comment

I am not having much luck with M&S Money, having had a store card/credit card mis-sell refused earlier this week, I received a letter today regarding the complaint about PPI on a personal loan taken out in 1999.

I wrote initially in January 2011 and had a letter in March placing it on hold due to JR. Having emailed and hassled a bit they said last week they would look into it and get me a response this week.

Their response today was that they have no paperwork so cannot confirm I even had PPI. I can't quite understand why this was placed on hold as the JR would not have applied if what they are saying is true.

They have asked for any further information I can give them.

All I have is an M&S loan update. It shows
                  Original loan amount £7802.46
                  Total amount payable £12,008.54
                  Monthly repayments were for £200.15 for 60 months, final payment made 24th August 2004.

Is there anyone out that that can work out from that if they think I had PPI? I am sure I did but cannot find any interest rates applicable to loans in 1999 to work out any figures.

Do they really dispose of all paperwork once the loan is paid off. I have had accounts with M&S Money for the past 26 years either in the form of credit card or loan. Won't be for much longer now!

Comment

Original loan amount £7802.46
                    Total amount payable £12,008.54
                    Monthly repayments were for £200.15 for 60 months, final payment made 24th August 2004.

Can you remember or could you find out, how much you actually got put into your bank to spend..

It looks to me like if you had say 6500 into your account to spend then a single premium of 1302.46 which would have been added on top would give the figure of original loan amount which you have..

They lend you the money to cover both things upfront, 6500 to you, 1302.46 would have been sent to the insurance company...

If you remember getting over 7500 to spend then it would make me believe you didnt have the PPI on loan.. Knowing the interest isn't really gonna tell you anything

I got the interest rate from working backwards to 18.48% roughly by the way...

Comment

By way of an update on my PPI claims:

1. Cap One deny their credit card PPI was mis-sold, stating it was a non-advised sale on the 'phone and, as non-advised, "tough luck"
                      2. First Direct have sent yet another holding letter with no confirmed date for their Final Response - just that I'll get one eventually (frst complained about the PPI in December '10)
                      3. FOS have returned my First Direct Quezzy and Complaint Form, telling me to wait until i get my First Direct Final Response (despite the fact that the bank said I could go to the FOS if I wanted to, pre-JR)
                      4. Marbles have told me to complain to HSBC and HSBC have told me to complain to Marbles.
                      5. FOS have returned my Marbles PPI Quezzy and Complaint Form telling me I need to get a Final Response from HSBC, despite HSBC telling me to complain to Marbles.

So, all in all, frustrating, crap, pathetic, a total mockery of the JR.

Comment

Originally posted by mosten View Post
                        is it confirmed that HBOS are paying out no quibble then or is it just that they will be sorting it all by 31st august like everyone else... ?

don't wanna get too excited just yet..
                        I still believe this to be true, and what their legal department stated to me the other seems to be coming true.

We've now seen a few Halifax settlement letters (and Lloyds for that matter as well). They are very interesting reading and not quite what I was expecting from them.

If you grab hold of one of them - you'll see what I mean. They start off with a brief synopsis of the JR and then they go straight into 'here's your settlement figures'. There's no mention of whether they've investigated, whether they're upholding or whether they're making a gesture of goodwill - just here's your money.

Even though they won't confirm anything, I think Lloyds are doing the same thing.

Lloyds have, apparently, sent out over a 100,000 settlement letters in the past week. That's a lot of letters. My personal opinion is that it's highly unlikely that they can investigate that many complaints in such a short period of time.

Time will tell if what I was told is correct, however, I'm not even getting a sniff of a decline coming out of Lloyds at the moment.

TBD.

Comment

TBD, they can't because they have until the end of August to investigate and give a response. They are in a mess and I've heard that even their own staff are worried as to whether they will complete the task within that timescale.
                          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hi Does anyone have the email for the CEO of Barclaycard,thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Leucareth1971 View Post
                              Hi Does anyone have the email for the CEO of Barclaycard,thanks

david.chan@barclaycard.co.uk

Good luck

Comment

Thanks Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X