• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest updates on PPI Judicial Review and claims on hold

Originally posted by k77mss View Post
    Hiya

Well that does sound hopeful, but I know what your saying.

So are they saying they did have a copy of your agreement and now lost it?
    Sorry a bit muddled lol.
    If this is the case they should keep a copy on microfiche I would have thought.
    Did they give you any idea of when you should hear something, or is it a matter of awaiting of a decision on a appeal?
    they said my branch should have copy in their files as loan was done in branch but they can't find it and i don't have a copy of it either.concerns team guy said they will be able to get figures and amounts he did mention where they would get all my information but it wouldn't be a signed agreement.he said a few weeks am i right thinking they can't prove i wasn't mis sold if they don't have document. thanxs[/quote]

Hi hun

That rings the bell with mine when I was told to write to my branch direct, but then received a letter to say they do not longer hold them, still I have so much paperwork to know I was sold ppi, the amounts etc.

I understand if they've not got much or anything to go by, they will still consider your complaint, and its known that many have still been awarded.
    So with you being told its likely you will get a payout, maybe they do or don't hold much details but taking in consideration of your reasons......maybe.

Fingers crossed. x

Comment

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-...moretopstories

Will banks fight High Court over mis-sold PPI ruling?

Banks are holding crunch meetings with their lawyers this week to decide whether to carry on their fight to overturn hundreds of thousands of complaints about mis-sold payment protection insurance.

Comment

http://www.dac.co.uk/documents/resou..._judgment_Wire

INSURANCE
        APRIL 2011

THE IMPLICATIONS OF THE PPI MIS-SELLING JUDGMENT

The High Court has upheld the FSA's policy statement about mis-selling of payment
        protection insurance (PPI). In October last year the British Bankers Association (BBA)
        commenced judicial review proceedings against the FSA and the Financial Services
        Ombudsman (FOS) challenging the way that mis-selling of PPI should be assessed.

This decision, handed down last week, is a dramatic affirmation of the FSA's
        understanding of the statutory scheme under which it was established over 10 years
        ago and its ability to order firms to compensate victims of mis-selling.

Further details of the three grounds on link.

Comment

http://www.dac.co.uk/documents/resou..._judgment_Wire

The FSA estimate that since 2005 over
          £15.6bn of PPI has been sold. On the basis
          that 20% of customers who are contacted
          respond to the invitation to make a claim for
          mis-selling, the FSA estimate that the total
          cost of providing redress for PPI mis-selling
          will be £3.2bn. This estimate does not
          include the cost of providing redress for pre-
          2005 PPI sales which we understand make
          up a considerable percentage of current
          complaints.
          The BBA's estimate of the cost
          of providing redress is £4.5bn.
          So pre 2005 claims have got a mention

Sellers of PPI will
          need to carefully consider the effects of the
          evidential and guidance provisions in the
          policy statement regarding the root cause
          analysis of the complaints and the extent
          and nature of procedures for any
          subsequent customer contact exercise
          So the extent that the banks will go to to seek the consumers affected is still to be decided.

The implementation of the policy statement
          will also bring into focus issues between
          sellers of PPI and PPI providers about who
          bears the substantial cost of providing
          redress to customers.
          If the appeal goes in the consumers favour the above could futher dely redress in that the seller could enter long discussion with the insurer over who pays what percentage to the consumer

This is I believe a real possibility as we all know banks favour damage limitation and will want the insurance industry to bear some of the cost.
          Last edited by pompeyfaith; 4th May 2011, 00:02:AM.
          If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

FOS News

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...news/93/93.pdf
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Cheers for that, Charity. If nowt else, we can quote Natalie's open letter to those whom we are claiming from - and ask them to clearly state what reason they now have for putting - or leaving - our claims on hold.

In the end, we have the CPR protocol to be observed. If that is flouted, then it becomes 'negative Brownie points,' does it not ?

The Law MAY be an ass - and Justice herself MAY wear a blindfold - but she still holds the scales, surely, bless her. Thus - let the negative Brownie points be added to the balance.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post

So pre 2005 claims have got a mention

So the extent that the banks will go to to seek the consumers affected is still to be decided.

If the appeal goes in the consumers favour the above could futher dely redress in that the seller could enter long discussion with the insurer over who pays what percentage to the consumer

This is I believe a real possibility as we all know banks favour damage limitation and will want the insurance industry to bear some of the cost.

The £3.2b mentioned in the piece doesn't only apply to RCA customer contact exercises but to all the measures in the Policy Statement, so I'm still not convinced that RCA will definitely include pre 2005 sales. Having said that the FSA does recognise pre 2005 mis-selling so I hope you're right.

The issue of ultimate liability between the sellers and providers of PPI is not one that should have any bearing on the delay of consumer redress:

The role of insurers and lenders in mis-selling PPI
                Concerning provider/distributor responsibilities, where a firm is an authorised general
                insurance intermediary, it is not bound, unless by contractual terms, to offer a particular
                PPI policy provided by a lender. Indeed, in some cases, doing so may not be treating
                customers fairly.37 Distributors are responsible for maintaining a compliant sales process,
                and therefore should be responsible for redress, where a failing arose from the manner in
                which the product was sold. If brokers feel that undue pressure was placed upon them by
                lenders or insurers, they may separately have recourse to the courts if they so choose.

The issues in relation to agency law (e.g. whether the broker is acting (as agent) on the
                part of the insured or the insurer (as principal)) are complex and fact specific, depending
                on both the individual contractual arrangements between the parties and the specific
                facts surrounding a particular sale. Again, brokers may separately have recourse to the
                courts if they so choose.

Accordingly, we remain of the view that our Handbook text concerning PPI complaints and
                redress is appropriately positioned in its emphasis on the seller of the policy, and we are not
                making any changes to it in this regard.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/policy/ps10_12.pdf

Comment

Interesting BBC article here covering the lengths you could go to in your PPI claim to claim reperation, not just straight compensation

(Apologies if already posted!)

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
                    Interesting BBC article here covering the lengths you could go to in your PPI claim to claim reperation, not just straight compensation

(Apologies if already posted!)
                    Crikey - I'd say the BBC are a touch reckless recommending the court route at the moment!

What if you come up against Judge Waksman and lose with a cost order?

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                      they said my branch should have copy in their files as loan was done in branch but they can't find it and i don't have a copy of it either.concerns team guy said they will be able to get figures and amounts he did mention where they would get all my information but it wouldn't be a signed agreement.he said a few weeks am i right thinking they can't prove i wasn't mis sold if they don't have document. thanxs

Hi hun

That rings the bell with mine when I was told to write to my branch direct, but then received a letter to say they do not longer hold them, still I have so much paperwork to know I was sold ppi, the amounts etc.

I understand if they've not got much or anything to go by, they will still consider your complaint, and its known that many have still been awarded.
                      So with you being told its likely you will get a payout, maybe they do or don't hold much details but taking in consideration of your reasons......maybe.

Fingers crossed. x[/QUOTE]
                      Di, the one thing i noticed with Lloyds is that certainly last year(and I am not sure for how long previously that they did this) they scan the paperwork onto their system so that it is available immediately on the records. Branches may not necessarily hold years and years worth of paperwork, depending on the size of the branch and the storage space that they hold. Most banks will hold paperwork at a central location should it be required at a later point.
                      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                        ''Three or four years ago, as the PPI storm clouds were beginning to gather, the All Party Parliamentary Group on Insurance & Financial Services held a joint dinner with Alliance for Finance, a federation of trade unions with members in the financial services sector. One of the issues raised by the trade unions was how the counter staff in banks were being set unrealistic targets for sales of PPI, targets that they were adamant could be reached only by mis-selling the product. This shocked the MPs at the dinner and probably, at least partially, explains why very few political voices are raised in support of the banks on this issue.''

http://blog.appgifs.org.uk/2011/05/b...he-ppi-co.html
                        To be blunt with you the way you got sales further back than that was you asked the customer how much they could afford to pay and then quoted them a figure that was a "fully protected" loan at a price within their price range. PPI certainly with RBS meant that the points(and they worked and still do on a points based approach, ie a 25k loan was at one point 250 points yet with PPI when it was sold, it was doubled to 500 points--based on new money lent and not paying off old loans so you could suggest to someone that they could borrow more than they needed to reduce the interest rate again adding points to the branch total). Other things I heard of was cancelling DD's and SO's to effectively bump up the total amount of "free income" which helped loans to go through then reinstating the DD's once the loan was approved. The targets were heavy and not achieving it meant that advisors could be told by managers that they weren't doing their job properly, they were letting their branch down and of course the incentives on bonuses for hitting targets was effectively doubling their salary during the year.
                        On PPI, the profit margin was something like, 700-800 pounds per policy(Amethyst might remember that convo since I might have mentioned it to her at the time I was aware of it ).
                        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by cardinals View Post
                          Crikey - I'd say the BBC are a touch reckless recommending the court route at the moment!

What if you come up against Judge Waksman and lose with a cost order?

To be fair, I think they talk about Small Claims only in the article, though its open to interpretation

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                            Other things I heard of was cancelling DD's and SO's to effectively bump up the total amount of "free income" which helped loans to go through then reinstating the DD's once the loan was approved.
                            that brings back horrible memories of my own credit application days, when I could pick up the phone and someone could fix a loan by manipulating things like that Also agreeing to PPI on the phone in the belief that agreeing would increase my chances of getting a new card or personal loan. I recall one call centre op telling me that it would.

I hope, dearly hope, those days of indiscriminate lending do not return but I bet they will.

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                              that brings back horrible memories of my own credit application days, when I could pick up the phone and someone could fix a loan by manipulating things like that Also agreeing to PPI on the phone in the belief that agreeing would increase my chances of getting a new card or personal loan. I recall one call centre op telling me that it would.

I hope, dearly hope, those days of indiscriminate lending do not return but I bet they will.

they,ll find something else d.s

Comment

Originally posted by cardinals View Post
                                The recklessness is not the BBC's (they wouldn't know any different) but Marc Gander's.

In my opinion he has an irresponsible and dangerous obsession of encouraging people to litigate, coupled with a twisted bias against the FOS - although he appears to be alone in this amongst the rest his CAG site team.

I challenge anyone to read these threads and not be distressed at the copious dramatics bordering on arrogance and complete absence of any legal information.

The Consumer Forums - Get your PPI money now

The Consumer Forums - Banks continue to defy FSA, OFT, Courts and Public Opinion in PPI [problem]

It is fundamental to taking any legal action that you have a solid legal argument that you fully understand but even when asked what that might be, answer comes there none.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X