• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest updates on PPI Judicial Review and claims on hold

Brilliant work EXC.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1295917675269A

New PPI rules 'could cost £4.5bn'
    (UKPA) – 4 hours ago

New regulations to control the selling of payment protection insurance to borrowers could cost the industry £4.5 billion, a High Court judge has been told.
    Lord Pannick QC was launching the British Bankers' Association judicial review against the Financial Services Authority and the Financial Ombudsman Service over the principles and guidance which came into force in December.
    He told Mr Justice Ouseley that the FSA estimated that implementation of the proposals could amount to £3.2 billion based on a 20% take-up by those contacted who bought PPI policies since 2005. "If that assumption is an underestimate of the response rate, the costs are going substantially to increase," he said.
    The FSA estimates that PPI providers will have to pay out up to £1.3 billion in compensation for new complaints received during the coming five years. Lord Pannick said this could lead to 35 insurance companies failing with the resulting refunds to borrowers falling on the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
    The new regulations aim to ensure consumers are treated fairly, both when they buy payment protection insurance and when they complain about being mis-sold the cover.
    They require providers to talk potential customers through the key features of a policy, rather than just provide them with a document giving the information, while they will also have to be able to show that it was made clear to the consumer that the cover was optional.
    But the banks want the court to quash the regulations because they will not only apply to new policies sold after the beginning of December, but also to complaints relating to cover sold before the new regime was brought in.
    Lord Pannick said it was an "error of law" for the FSA to state that its new policy gave rise to obligations owed by firms to customers and to suggest in its guidance to lenders that it did so.
    "In any event it is an error of law for the FSA to state that a customer may be entitled to redress from the firm by reference to one of the principles that the FSA has made which regulate the sale of PPIs."
    He added: "Our case will be that in these circumstances general standards of conduct and principle cannot impose conflicting obligations to compensate customers."

Comment

Originally posted by anaellie View Post
      Thanks for this concise breakdown . Are you going tomorrow . If so i look forward to reading your report . Does it look to you that worst case ,complaints will be dealt with according to IOCBS guidelines. Have many people waiting for this result

The worse case scenario isn't really any worse than it was up until the Judicial Review as the vast majority of mis-selling was arleady captured by ICOB & ICOBS alone anyway. And even before the FOS published the online resource in November 2008 (the subject of the challenge to the FOS) the FOS were still achieving a healthy uphold rate of around 70%.

In fact the judge specifically asked Pannick if winning the JR ''would make any material difference to the banks' liability'' (in other words would it significantly reduce the amount the banks' shelled out in refunds & interest) and all Pannick had to say was that ''it is the principle that counts'' - essentially meaning 'no'. And this really exposes the artificial emphasis that the BBA has put on their case.

Although the BBA is asking the court to quash the entire policy statement, the reality is that their case is only disputing a relatively small element of it and so the FSA could almost immediately re-instate most of it in a new one. Also, Judicial Review procedure provides that if a decision by an authority its quashed the authority can revisit it and come to the same decision 'by other means'. So in theory there is nothing to prevent the FSA from re-formulating a policy that would have the same impact but via a different route. It's not the effect of a decision that counts, but the legality of the method by which it was reached.

I can't go today as I'm away but Tom is attending on Beagles' behalf and on Friday. As a barrister he'll be able to understand and articulate what transpires far better than I ever could.
      Last edited by EXC; 26th January 2011, 04:26:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
        FSA and FOS barristers are quite boring to be honest so prediction for me is a BBA win to be honest....
        Actually they're not at all. Although they only spoke briefly yesterday, both Brindle and Malek are really good - authoritive, charismatic, good speakers and have much more zing about them than Pannick who by contrast was sleep-inducingly dull - judging by the amount of people I spotted nodding off.

Comment

Here's a timely article from Ian Cowie in the Telegraph yesterday, in case anyone hasn't seen it...

Comment

Originally posted by HaliMac View Post
            Here's a timely article from Ian Cowie in the Telegraph yesterday, in case anyone hasn't seen it...
            Nicely worded article
            There are many ways to achieve the same result - careful consideration and planning are the key to getting the result that you want!

Comment

Talking of PPI, this was announced on MSE today:
              Kerobo Claims Ltd were a company that said that they could get back PPI for people.
              This company lost its licence in September 2010 and can no longer trade as a claims company.
              This is the directors info .... More info Legal Beagles Consumer Forum - View Single Post - Cumin v Cap One - CCA / Kerobo
              Last edited by Amethyst; 26th January 2011, 08:41:AM. Reason: Sorry debtisbad its twice on here already so have put link in place of text xx
              Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

Halifax (Lloyds) have just last week sent out an initial 8000 letters - they should have done that earlier and recorded to response rate - then the banks and BBA would have had a better argument and evidence why the 20% response rate was unjustified and why costs would increase substantially.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Ame,

do you really think response will be that low?

Would be interesting to get a copy of that letter up on here if anyone receives it!

Any idea why they have chosen Halifax customers from the LTSB group?

Comment

This is not the only Claims Management Company to sell their services based on being able to reclaim PPI and guess what to my knowledge no one has suceeded.

Paying these CMC's is like throwing money down the drain.
                    Originally posted by debtisbad View Post
                    Talking of PPI, this was announced on MSE today:

Kerobo Claims Ltd were a company that said that they could get back PPI for people.
                    This company lost its licence in September 2010 and can no longer trade as a claims company.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post

I can't go today as I'm away but Tom is attending on Beagles' behalf and on Friday. As a barrister he'll be able to understand and articulate what transpires far better than I ever could.
                      We'll have to have my ramblings based on my understanding of what Tom reports back at lunchtime (so probably 1ish) and directly after (4.30ish) ... but Tom has agreed to write something up based on the day for us this evening
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
                        This is not the only Claims Management Company to sell their services based on being able to reclaim PPI and guess what to my knowledge no one has suceeded.

Paying these CMC's is like throwing money down the drain.
                        I think that is a little unfair Tutts, lots of PPI claims companies are bonafide and do do their job well and obtain refunds for their customers. Bank charges and unenforceable agreements are an entirely different kettle of fish.

(have taken the text out as the Kerobo stuff is posted twice yesterday and again back in March 2010)
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
                          Ame,

do you really think response will be that low?

Would be interesting to get a copy of that letter up on here if anyone receives it!

Any idea why they have chosen Halifax customers from the LTSB group?
                          Tbh I have no idea, I suppose it depends how the letter is worded...the 20% is the figure the FSA came up with, BBA said it would be much higher but couldnt substantiate.

I think standard mailshots have a 1-2% response rate don't they, so 20% is a big leap from that - but then it is offering you money. I'll see if I can find where the figure comes from - there are probably comparable previous issues - such as endowment misselling where a pro-active approach was taken.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks EXC . Do you think it will be worth going on Friday . Will the judge pass judgement or will he wait do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              Tbh I have no idea, I suppose it depends how the letter is worded...the 20% is the figure the FSA came up with, BBA said it would be much higher but couldnt substantiate.

I think standard mailshots have a 1-2% response rate don't they, so 20% is a big leap from that - but then it is offering you money. I'll see if I can find where the figure comes from - there are probably comparable previous issues - such as endowment misselling where a pro-active approach was taken.
                              With regards to mailshots, it will depend on the wording and what is on the table. Branches used to have loclised "campaigns" with wording such as, please contact Bob(for example) at this branch so that you spoke directly to branch.
                              If it is an offer from a bank(I have received the marketing mail) then you do tend to consider those 0% balance transfers or their loan offers.

Just out of interest: Natwest made £750-£800 per policy sold(figure was correct as at 2007) from PPI policy sold(not sure if amethyst will remember the exact figure as I am sure I have told her that amongst many many many things).
                              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

@FT report on 1st day of BBA-FSA-FOS judicial review http://bit.ly/eOJBYP[IMG]chrome://searchshield/content/clock12.png[/IMG]

(from Twitter (Brian Mairs)
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X