• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Strange letter from Santander.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi thanks for the reply.

I only have a business account with them my personal is with another bank.

They want copies of company accounts and tax returns etc also.

I will I’ll call them but it sounds like they will just fob you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearsos99 View Post
      Hi thanks for the reply.

How long have you been banking with them? and do they ask for personal information, or just business related information

Comment

Been with them for 4 years. They are asking for both.
        all business And also the personal about loans property etc

Comment

do you think anything could have intrigue it? I spoke with Santander, they said they will eventually send out the form to all their customers

Comment

Not really no big transactions or anything out of the ordinary. Recently sold a property but funds from that went into personal account not with them.

Comment

If they ask all their customers to go through this there would be uprorar. There’s no chance.

Comment

I don't know, it is definitely a lot to ask. Did them say the account will be closed if you don't comply?

Comment

Originally posted by aralexiao View Post
                  I don't know, it is definitely a lot to ask. Did them say the account will be closed if you don't comply?
                  I ring ICO this morning and was advised to write a letter to Santerder to questions their lawful base of the request. The lady from ICO said it has to be something in writing if I want to complain. She also feel the information been asked for is far too much. She hasn't heard of this before, so it is under their radar. She said they might contact for more information. I think it might worth for you to give them a call as well. So they know this is happening. The number I have is 0201231113. I got the number from FCA. but they couldn't commit whether the request is lawful as it wasn't mentioned in the santander letter.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pearsos99;n1470308]Not really no big transactions or anything out of the ordinary. Recently sold a property but funds from that went into personal account not with them.

I ring ICO this morning and was advised to write a letter to Santerder to questions their lawful base of the request. The lady from ICO said it has to be something in writing if I want to complain. She also feel the information been asked for is far too much. She hasn't heard of this before, so it is under their radar. She said they might contact for more information. I think it might worth for you to give them a call as well. So they know this is happening. The number I have is 0201231113. I got the number from FCA. but they couldn't commit whether the request is lawful as it wasn't mentioned in the santander letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearsos99 View Post
                      Hi thanks for the reply.

Have you spoke with Santander, any updates?

Comment

Tried Tweeting Santander about it - got no response -- however I tagged in the ICO who replied thus...

More

Replying to

Hi, Legal obligation is one of the valid lawful basis, however if you feel the information requested is excessive or that their legal obligation doesn't apply then you should raise your concern in writing with the organisation.

0 replies 1 retweet 1 like

Not sure the iframe will work - but links to https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters...6749f20cf83ce8

So I guess first step is to ask Santander exactly what laws/regulations mean they must collect this data from you as per what the ICO said to aralexiao
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Rachelle123 View Post
                          Today I received a letter from Santander asking me to fill out the enclosed form.

I have been with Santander for 20 years and they’re stating they need some important information and it’s to meet UK legal and regulatory obligations if they don’t receive it they may restrict my account within 30 days?

They want I’d, figured of how much I earn/earned before retirement proof any incoming from land etc, is this just routine or should I be worried? I have epilepsy and suffer from depression I’m a natural whittled and don’t want to make the situation worse and have them stop my account from sending something back wrong
                          Santander are still sending out these letters. I received one recently and logged a post on this forum without even naming the bank and not seeing this thread from 2018. Someone replied and obviously guessed it was Santander and directed me to this thread. I'm going to open a new account elsewhere and withdraw all my money from Santander as I don't intend to provide so much info. Once I've done so I will complain to them. Has anyone else received the form since the last posting on the matter in June 2019?

Comment

Originally posted by Rachelle123 View Post
                            Today I received a letter from Santander asking me to fill out the enclosed form.

I have been with Santander for 20 years and they’re stating they need some important information and it’s to meet UK legal and regulatory obligations if they don’t receive it they may restrict my account within 30 days?

They want I’d, figured of how much I earn/earned before retirement proof any incoming from land etc, is this just routine or should I be worried? I have epilepsy and suffer from depression I’m a natural whittled and don’t want to make the situation worse and have them stop my account from sending something back wrong
                            Hi- I got this letter as well in March. I originally ignored it but now they are threatening to close my account. Did anyone get any up date on this after? I replied to the online form and completed it but its very worrying that they want this info

Comment

Change banks. All accounts sound not right.**

Comment

I have had a similar experience. Texts and phone calls that sounded like phishing and then a letter seven days in the post threatening a block on all out-going payments. All gave the same reference number and a telephone number to call. This looked like a possible very thorough scam based on available information but my account was to be frozen so I called the number. 'Steve' who answered it seemed to know about a property transaction and various transfers - to consolidate my savings into one account to pay solicitors handling the purchase. His inquisition included transfers to my current account that were suspicious from saving accounts in my name at Santander... The conversation became more and more concerning as he switched from querying the large transfers to querying regular payments: my occupational pensions from the NHS. He seemed to want it both ways: suspicious activity was both large one-off payments and also regular much smaller ones over years... I asked him for his full name: not given. I asked if I could go into a branch and present the information and he said it was not possible and I must use the link that he would email me. I asked exactly what documents were needed and over what time base and he said the email would state this. I told him that I would end the call and go to a branch and check his bona fides. He said that would not be of any help to me, only someone on the customer services team could help me and I must speak to them by phone and send documents by email...

I went into the branch and they confirmed the letter was genuine and that they could do nothing to assist me except let me call from their office but I declined because I did not know what information I would be asked for and could not possibly have it ready to send to them.

I called the number and spoke to 'Stefan'. He said that he would send the email and I confirmed my email address. He said in view of the fact that the letter had been so long in the post he would give me three extra days grace (actually a Saturday, Sunday and BH Monday). The email arrived but only had a link and no useful information about what to send. The link opened to show a number of headers for subjects like 'savings', 'pensions', 'Ebay trading', 'legacies' etc. I looked for some way to add a covering letter but there was none and when I tried to upload it into one of the available headers I found that they would not accept word but only various 'image' type formats like .pdf. I uploaded and am now awaiting a response almost a week later.

Short of trying to make payments I can't see if they have frozen my accounts. They were specific that they can still receive funds - more ill-gotten gains to confiscate should I prove to be a criminal? I did ask why not message me securely in the online banking app that I use and they said no-one ever reads their messages... More than this because I had heard horror stories about property purchase completion payments not being honoured I had been into my most local branch before the purchase to explain what I was doing: consolidating my life savings, inheritance, pension lump sums, redundancy payment and a generous legacy in order to purchase a property that I considered a more secure form of investment than having the funds spread across several different savings accounts with vanishingly low interest. My 'unusual' activity was not only not very unusual but Santander had been informed about it in advance. If they we so anxious about it why not query it then!

My faith in their ability to conduct day to day business with individual personal customers is pretty much rock bottom. I have no useful feedback about the status of my accounts.

P.S. Interestingly since just before the purchase, when I appeared 'rich I have received plenty of solicitations to consider their 'private' banking services though having made the purchase I am a lot cash poorer. It seems their profit-making algorithms are a lot more prompt in their consequences that the ones intended to prevent financial crimes like money laundering.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X