• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help Please with DCA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please with DCA

I have a debt that was with a lender. I have not paid since Sept 2007. The debt was sold to 1st Credit and now Connaughts are sending me letters. They do not know my present address, but have been sending letters to my Ltd company address. I am the sole director but do have people working here and I don't open the post. The letters are always sent to me personally marked private and confidential but to my Ltd company address. The debt is for £8,000.
    I am reluctant to contact them because of the SOL, but are they allowed to send it to my business address? The debt was a personal one.
    Tags: None

Re: Help Please with DCA

Hi H2Oman, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

Have you acknowledged the debt in writing since Sept 2007?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Charity,
      Thank you for your welcome. No, I have not had any tel calls or any communication since then.

Comment

If it were me, I would would just ignore them - it will soon be Statute-barred!

However, if this is causing you embarrassment, & you are prepared to open a line of communication with them, you could write to them, stating that you neither confirm or deny the debt is yours, but requesting that they cease sending any letters to your place of business.
        (Don't forget proof of posting)

The OFT has issued guidance to all the vultures...sorry, debt collectors, re unfair business practices.
        Page 27 is illuminating - enjoy! :tinysmile_grin_t:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/con...lection_g1.pdf
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks Charity. Would this then restart the 6 yrs SOL?
          Forgot to mention, they also call me at work but no-one answers them

Comment

Not if you do not acknowledge the debt.

Btw, are you in England/Wales, or Scotland?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Do they have your old address and could they be sending mail there as well.
              If this is an enforceable debt you need to be careful in case they decide to either issue a claim or even worse a SD. I am told that as a bankrupt you can not be a director of a company .

Another option , if you haven't already done it would be to send a CCA request (just when was the loan taken out) . My reasoning for that is that once sent they can not start action against you and it may buy enough time for it to become SB.

I think there is also case law about SB being 6 years after the cause of action and not when you stopped paying, so if they defaulted then teminated your agreement but that didn't happen until say July 2008 you have another year to go.

Do not take anything I say as gospel, it is just my understanding and may well be flawed

Comment

Originally posted by H2Oman View Post
                Thanks Charity. Would this then restart the 6 yrs SOL?
                Forgot to mention, they also call me at work but no-one answers them
                So, only if I acknowledge the debt , or mention the debt does the 6 yrs start again? If I write to them and tell them to stop sending letters to my works as per the OFT guidance, then this does not start the SOL again?
                Last edited by H2Oman; 1st July 2013, 13:15:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                  Do they have your old address and could they be sending mail there as well. I don't know if they send anything there
                  If this is an enforceable debt you need to be careful in case they decide to either issue a claim or even worse a SD. I am told that as a bankrupt you can not be a director of a company .
                  I do know that it is unenforceable as the agreement was a credit card application and did not comply with the CCA1974. ( No PT's etc..) I don't have it now as this was in 2007 I asked for a copy
                  Another option , if you haven't already done it would be to send a CCA request (just when was the loan taken out) . My reasoning for that is that once sent they can not start action against you and it may buy enough time for it to become SB. Good idea. Does that not trigger the SOL again though?

I think there is also case law about SB being 6 years after the cause of action and not when you stopped paying, so if they defaulted then teminated your agreement but that didn't happen until say July 2008 you have another year to go. That could be a possibility then. I do not recall having any Def notices sent though. Would the DCA also have to send one before any legal action?

Do not take anything I say as gospel, it is just my understanding and may well be flawed
                  I appreciate your help

Comment

Originally posted by H2Oman View Post
                    So, only if I acknowledge the debt , or mention the debt does the 6 yrs start again? If I write to them and tell them to stop sending letters to my works as per the OFT guidance, then this does not start the SOL again?
                    As long as you do not acknowledge the debt, no.

Could I refer you back to post #6?
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                      As long as you do not acknowledge the debt, no.

Could I refer you back to post #6?
                      Apologies, I am based in England

Comment

Ok.

SB in England means that the debt will still exist after the 6 years, but the creditor can't take you to court for it.

(In Scotland, the debt disappears completely after 5 years)
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                          Ok.

SB in England means that the debt will still exist after the 6 years, but the creditor can't take you to court for it.

(In Scotland, the debt disappears completely after 5 years)
                          Great, so my credit file is smashed forever then if the debt doesn't go away?
                          Time to rent a flat then or move to Scotland for 6 mnths

Comment

Hi H20 Man

There was a discussion on here (i think) a while ago about if a CCA request could restart the SB clock and I believe that the consensus was no, as long as letters were worded carefully.
                            My understanding of the law is that it needs to be a definite admission in writing such as re account No 123456 which I owe you
                            As you have already sent a CCA request you could just write to connaught saying the account is in dispute
                            Dear Sirs

ACCOUNT NO: XXXXXX

Your attention is drawn to the fact that this account is subject to a serious dispute. On XX/XX/XX, I requested that [ORIGINAL CREDITOR] supply me a copy of the credit agreement covering this account pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 section 77-79. To date [ORIGINAL CREDITOR] have failed to comply with my request. Without production of the said agreement I am unable to assess if I am indeed liable for any alleged debt to [ORIGINAL CREDITOR] , nor does it give me any chance to evaluate whether any original agreement was ‘properly executed’ as required by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
                            In line with recent OFT Guidance surrounding Unenforceability, I presume you're aware that the OFT has stipulated the following;
                            Sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 outline the information creditors must provide to debtors under fixed-term, running account & Hire Agreements. Under these sections a debtor can pay £1 to get:
                            • a copy of their agreement
                            • copies of some of the other documents mentioned in their agreement
                            • a statement of account.

If this information is not provided within 12 working days the debt becomes unenforceable. This means a creditor cannot:
                            • make the debtor pay the debt before they're supposed to
                            • get a court judgment against the debtor

As this account is clearly unenforceable, I expect you to write back and confirm that no further action will be taken and that the account is now closed and no further correspondence will take place. I require that you clarify your position on this point as failure to do so, even by omission or lack of a response, will be regarded as an attempt to deliberately misrepresent or conceal the legal position regarding this matter to which an appropriate complaint will be made to the OFT.
                            Consequently, any legal action you pursue will not only be fully and vigorously defended, it will also be averred as both unlawful and vexatious. As such I respectfully suggest that this account is returned to the original creditor for immediate resolution prior to my seeking legal advice; due to the fact you cannot lawfully pursue any enforcement activities as the account was already in dispute at the time you became involved.
                            Yours faithfully,
                            Remember to sign digitally and you could always add a line " This is in no way an acknowledgment of any possible liability"

Comment

No your credit file is not smashed forever , any default will come off your credit file after 6 years and any mention of the debt will be removed along with it.

Once statute barred a debt can not be enforced and once told any creditor should cease collection activity immediately

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X