• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Doorstep collectors/credit licence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doorstep collectors/credit licence

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Do you know of any department noted for its alacrity or for taking effective action against malefactors?

All a bunch of rogues needs to do is to set up a number of dormant, shell companies and get a Consumer Credit Licence for each so that, should the OFT revoke or refuse to renew the licence for their current company, the scoundrels have more than one other company with which to continue trading. A certain firm of debt collectors has at least four such companies just sitting there, not currently trading, as insurance against the time when the OFT eventually pulls out the metaphorical finger and shuts down their current company for repeated violations of the OFT Guidance or 'Code of Conduct'.
    You wouldn't happen to be talking about a certain bunch of losers who hail from North East England by any chance? I think the answer to what you are saying, CC, is to educate and encourage people to complain, complain, complain to the appropriate regulator(s). Without information, the regulators can do little or nothing. The more people who complain, the quicker the regulators can see a problem with a CCA Licence-holder is widespread and intervene.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
      You wouldn't happen to be talking about a certain bunch of losers who hail from North East England by any chance?
      No.

The parasites to which I alluded are based in Worthing.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        No.

The parasites to which I alluded are based in Worthing.
        Gothia, aka Red Castle, etc.. Yeah. I've had dealings with that lot on behalf of an elderly couple who fell victim to a bent collector from Intrum Justicia. Kept sending threatening letters, frightening the couple half to death, despite being told the money had been paid and was no longer owed. After threatening Gothia with legal action, they backed off and admitted they were wrong. They didn't have a lot of choice. Nasty sods.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
          just a quick question

for an individual to go around peoples homes and collect debts for the likes of crappyquest, motor mouth, lowells etc

does that individual need their own consumer credit licence and not hide behind the debt collection agencies licence

after all, the person knocking at you door could have a criminal record as long as your arm and as far as i am aware, to get a consumer credit licence, you have to be CRB checked
          As BB says the legislation you are after i in sections 23-27 of the cca

(2) In determining whether an applicant for a standard licence is a fit person to engage inany activities, the Director shall have regard to any circumstances appearing to him to be
          relevant, and in particular any evidence tending to show that the applicant, or any of the
          applicant’s employees, agents or associates (whether past or present) or, where the
          applicant is a body corporate, any person appearing to the Director to be a controller of the
          body corporate or an associate of any such person, has—
          (3) In subsection (2), “associate”, in addition to the persons specified in section 184,
          includes a business associate.

(a) he is a fit person to engage in activities covered by the licence, and
          (b) the name or names under which he applies to be licensed is or are not
          misleading or otherwise undesirable.
          (a) committed any offence involving fraud or other dishonesty, or violence,
          (b) contravened any provision made by or under this Act, or by or under any
          other enactment regulating the provision of credit to individuals or other
          transactions with individuals,
          (c) practised discrimination on grounds of sex, colour, race or ethnic or
          national origins in, or in connection with, the carrying on of any business,
          or
          (d) engaged in business practices appearing to the Director to be deceitful or
          oppressive, or otherwise unfair or improper (whether unlawful or not).

D

Comment

Many thanks davyb

Comment

No they would be covered by their employers licence, in the same way that all solicitors are covered by the Law Society Group licence. only if they were an individual and not an employee of the company ( say they were a sole trader) would they need their own licence
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X