• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Doorstep collectors/credit licence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doorstep collectors/credit licence

just a quick question

for an individual to go around peoples homes and collect debts for the likes of crappyquest, motor mouth, lowells etc

does that individual need their own consumer credit licence and not hide behind the debt collection agencies licence

after all, the person knocking at you door could have a criminal record as long as your arm and as far as i am aware, to get a consumer credit licence, you have to be CRB checked
    Tags: None

Re: Doorstep collectors/credit licence

The best people to speak to, Militant, are the OFT's Credit Fitness Team. You can contact them by email at enquiries@oft.gsi.gov.uk and put the words CREDIT FITNESS in the subject box. As far as I know, it will be stated in the licence that a DCA holds whether they can doorstep people and whether those who doorstep people require a Category F Licence in addition to the DCA.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

email has been sent

i will update on any reply when i receive it from the OFT

Comment

I would lay odds that they don't, i think that the license is registered to the company and as employees they are covered by it, similar to the employees of a bank or any other credit relate business.

if they were collecting off their own bat then they would be a business and require a license.
        D

Comment

you see what i am getting at

somebody could be released from prison for murder, rape, etc, and be working as a debt collector the next day calling at peoples houses, them being in debt will prob be vulnerable people as well

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
            you see what i am getting at

somebody could be released from prison for murder, rape, etc, and be working as a debt collector the next day calling at peoples houses, them being in debt will prob be vulnerable people as well
            Yes indeed i do. But it would be up to the company employing him to ensure that he was a suitable person to be collecting debts on their behalf, if they don't i am sure their are sanctions that can be imposed by the OFT regrading their license.

D

Comment

Originally posted by davyb View Post
              Yes indeed i do. But it would be up to the company employing him to ensure that he was a suitable person to be collecting debts on their behalf, if they don't i am sure their are sanctions that can be imposed by the OFT regrading their license.

D
              Yes. It's the letter that says, "We are revoking your licence" or "We are refusing renewal of your licence". The other one they can get is "Your appeal against refusal to renew/revocation of your licence is rejected".

Comment

RESPONSE TO MY REQUEST TO THE OFT

Ref: XXXXXXXXXX1

Dear MILLITANT

Thank you for your email of 11 July 2012 to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT).

The OFT can only provide general guidance on credit licensing requirements under the Consumer Credit Act and cannot give specific advice. This is because only the Courts can give an authoritative view of the law.

However in order to assist with compliance, OFT has published the guidance document ‘Do you need a credit licence? OFT147’ which you can access at:
                www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/credit_licences/oft147.pdf

You may also wish to view our guidance documents ‘Consumer credit – regulated and exempt agreements OFT140 and OFT140A’ which you can access at:
                www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/cca/exempt

Finally you may wish to view ourgeneral guidance for licensees and applicants on fitness and requirements. Please see the weblink below:
                www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/publications/publication-categories/guidance/consumer_credit_act/oft969

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX
                OFT Enquiries and Reporting Centre

Comment

GUIdance

i am not after guidance

i am after statute legislation

Comment

GUIdance

i am not after guidance

i am after statute legislation
                    Consumer Credit Act 1974-2006 would be a start.

Comment

its just i asked the OFT specific questions as they are the regulatory authority and i get back links to guidance

they are as much use as a fart in a space suit

Comment

its just i asked the OFT specific questions as they are the regulatory authority and i get back links to guidance

I think you'll find it's an unfortunate by-product of the litigation-happy culture that some elements in the legal profession have created with their aggressive "no win, no fee" offers. It's a shame, because there are a lot of legal professionals who, simply, want to help people overcome injustice and obtain justice for wrongdoings against them. As a result, public bodies have become wary of giving out advice or information for fear of some sue-happy solicitor sending them a summons or writ. The sooner they clamp down on these sue-happy elements in the legal profession, the better.

Comment

Why did you suppose that I refer to them as the Office of Faffing and Twaddling?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                            Why did you suppose that I refer to them as the Office of Faffing and Twaddling?
                            Depends on which department you're referring to, CC.

Comment

Do you know of any department noted for its alacrity or for taking effective action against malefactors?

All a bunch of rogues needs to do is to set up a number of dormant, shell companies and get a Consumer Credit Licence for each so that, should the OFT revoke or refuse to renew the licence for their current company, the scoundrels have more than one other company with which to continue trading. A certain firm of debt collectors has at least four such companies just sitting there, not currently trading, as insurance against the time when the OFT eventually pulls out the metaphorical finger and shuts down their current company for repeated violations of the OFT Guidance or 'Code of Conduct'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X