• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capquest trying it on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capquest trying it on?

In the past three weeks I have had four letters, one each from Teleogram, HLLegal, CapQuest and Abbey – all signed with similar nonsense non-signatures and judging by the grammar, written by the same abuser of the English language.
    Letter 1 asks if I am identical with somebody of a similar name who lived at a different address.
    Letter 2 threatens that if I don’t answer letter 1 they will set the investigators on to me. It also has an interesting gobbledegook sentence, “If no response is received....our client will be unable to confirm that the information supplied by the external agency is incorrect.. etc” (!)
    Letter 3 (from Capquest) graciously offers to reduce my “debt” by 50%, even though they have no confirmation that I am the person they seek. It refers to contact by Abbey, who have supposedly written or sent representatives to see me some days earlier. (That didn't happen.)
    Letter 4 which arrived two days after letter 3 (allegedly from Abbey) refers to a bank loan debt and says they have sold it to Capquest. It implies that I know all about this and that Abbey has been in contact with me recently (which they have not.) Interestingly although it appears to be written on Abbey notepaper, that bank is so short of money they had to borrow one of Capquest’s envelopes to send it in.
    Firstly, although I lived at the address mentioned in letter 1, I left there about 20 years ago. Secondly, I did have an account with Abbey National which was closed about 22 years ago and I may have had an overdraft of considerably less than even 50% of the amount stated, which I may not have cleared – I cannot remember that far back. I have never then or since had a bank loan from anybody.
    Abbey have never made any contact with me in the last 20 years.
    So far I have ignored these letters. Can you please advise whether I should bother to answer them? I have no intention of phoning them but letter 3 does give an e-mail address, collections@cdrhl.co.uk which may be the easiest way to respond if you think I should. I have no intention of acknowledging any debt.
    Am I correct in thinking that this matter is a complete non-event, due to statutory time limits? Is it worth me getting into correspondence with these scavengers to find out how Abbey arrive at this highly inflated insult ( I genuinely have no idea of what the original overdraft amount was but hazard a guess it was about 25% of what they say I owe.)
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Capquest trying it on?

ooerrrr weird they all contacted you together. Have you just returned your voting card or something ? I returned mine (stupidly) and within a couple weeks was being told I had a Barclays account with an overdraft which I must pay back immediately lol - hadnt ever had one and closest was a 10 yr old woolwich account since which time I had moved twice.

Probably some old book debts have been bought up recently - you sound confident it isnt your debt and if it were its over 20 years old so I think i'd be quite happy to file the letters as a fishing trip, do nothing, and see if any further contact is made and if so then send them a bemused/prove it letter back.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

In all honesty, this looks like a serious phishing trip from CQ.
      File it under IGNORE as they clearly don't actually know what they are doing.

Also don't panic about any letters received from HL Legal as these are simple "off the peg" templates bought in bulk by CQ for, alleged, intimidation tactics.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Did anybody ever tell you that you are worth your weight in gold?

Comment

I prefer Pizza

Comment

By the way, I did return the voter's card but isn't that info protected by the DPA - I know you used to be able to buy copies of the Voters Reg but I thought that had all stopped. Or is CapQ doing something illegal and gaining access under false pretences? Surely not.

Comment

>Borodin

What about the 20 quid you owe me???

cnjw

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Bear in mind there's TWO voters registers.
                One if freely sold for marketing purposes, you CAN choose to opt OUT of this edition.
                I have for years

Comment

How do you opt out of this one CB???

Comment

[quote=fuzzybrain;134618]How do you opt out of this one CB???[/qu

When you get registration letter (usually out now) read the paragraphs they explain which coloum to tick, tick the EDITED SALEABLE REGISTER. Hope this helps, you can register on line using the top www , follow instructions.

Comment

Got the same four letters .
                      Check out the signatures on the Telogram and CapQuest Dept Recovery lettere,s on mine they are both the same

Comment

They must think we are as stupid as they are, mental pygmies!

Comment

I've had the first two letters and am eagerly awaiting the next one.
                          Oooooh this is fun.
                          It's nice to find out that it's abbey debt as i know what mine is now so am forewarned and forearmed.
                          It's very old (+15 years) so i'm happy that i'm not now liable.
                          I'm just going to sit back and watch the saga unfold.
                          Many thanks Borodin for posting the sequence of letters as i now know what to expect. I'll give you some rep too as that seems to be the thing to do...
                          And thanks to everyone for being so helpful

I think i shall enjoy being a member of this site. :happy:

Turtlehead

Comment

Watchya Turtlehead, so you've been caught in the great Abbey Zombie debt clear out then

Have a read through this for further info: ~~~ Consumer Credit Agreements - A Guide ~~~~ inc. Letters - Legal Beagles

As and when you get bored with their Nastygrams, simply fire off a Prove It and watch them run away

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
                              Bear in mind there's TWO voters registers.
                              One if freely sold for marketing purposes, you CAN choose to opt OUT of this edition.
                              I have for years
                              That's true, although my understanding is that the main register (i.e. the unedited one) is available to the credit reference agencies, for purposes including debt tracking.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X