• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statute Barred Timing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statute Barred Timing?

Does anyone know the exact point the timer stops on something becoming statute barred?

Is it once a letter before claim is issued or once the actual court proceedings begin?

I've started receiving letters from Lowell about an apparent debt that will be 6 years old in a month, it's life destroying in my current situation and I know Lowell can be very deceptive and sneaky.
    Tags: None

They have to file a claim with the court within six years of the Default Notice or last payment made, which ever is the latter.

Pre Action Protocols say they have to give you 30 days to respond to a LBA, that'll be why they have sent it you now.

As you haven't said what the alleged debt relates to it is not possible to say what you next course of action might be.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Issue of court proceedings (in fact the date on which the papers are received in the court office for the issue of a claim).

In your case: sit tight. But not that it can take the court office a few weeks to process claims received to be issued.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Pre Action Protocols also say that a claim must be issued to avoid being time barred.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you. I'll hang on for now and see what they send and update here. It's allegedly Barclaycard that it relates to.

Comment

They've sent me a 20% discount letter. Only 2 weeks to go until the statute barred date. Does this mean I'm safe?

Comment

no last attempt?

Comment

I just mean that's their latest letter. I'm not making any contact with them unless it's court related.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoony View Post
                  Thank you. I'll hang on for now and see what they send and update here. It's allegedly Barclaycard that it relates to.
                  Not yet, they have until 4pm on the very last day of the six years to file a claim. You're not safe until I'd say 4 days after the Statue Barred date and not in receipt of a claim form.
                  COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

Not yet, they have until 4pm on the very last day of the six years to file a claim. You're not safe until I'd say 4 days after the Statue Barred date and not in receipt of a claim form.
                    Ah, the date I apparently have to take the discount by is the 26th, the default date is the 27th. Any suggestions? Hold on still?

Comment

They have in fact until midnight on the last day to get papers into the court office.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X