• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot/Nolans overdraft claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot/Nolans overdraft claim

Hi Everyone,

At the beginning of 2019, I received a few letters from Cabot asking for payment about an alleged defaulted overdraft they had picked up from Halifax from May 2016. I denied being liable for the account and asked for proof. They told me the account would be placed on hold whilst they investigate.

I've since heard nothing else from Cabot directly. At the end of 2019 I got a letter from Nolans asking for payment on behalf of Cabot. I told them I didn't acknowledge the debt and had asked Cabot for proof of liability, which they had not produced. Nolans replied saying Cabot have supplied all requested documentation, which they are either mistaken or lying about, I've had nothing from them since being told the account was on hold. I advised Nolans to carry out due diligence and that no proof had been given.

That was the last I heard from them until this week. I received a short letter from Nolans advising Cabot have agreed to accept a payment plan and to be in touch within 14 days or they'll proceed further against me.

To date, I haven't received a shred of evidence from any parties. I'm also aware that 6 years will have passed in May. Does this sound like a last ditch effort from Nolans before it is statue barred? I've drafted another letter basically repeating myself saying I don't acknowledge the debt and no evidence has been provided. Would that be the best course of action?

Many thanks,

Tags: None

Originally posted by Alex538 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

At the beginning of 2019, I received a few letters from Cabot asking for payment about an alleged defaulted overdraft they had picked up from Halifax from May 2016. I denied being liable for the account and asked for proof. They told me the account would be placed on hold whilst they investigate.

I've since heard nothing else from Cabot directly. At the end of 2019 I got a letter from Nolans asking for payment on behalf of Cabot. I told them I didn't acknowledge the debt and had asked Cabot for proof of liability, which they had not produced. Nolans replied saying Cabot have supplied all requested documentation, which they are either mistaken or lying about, I've had nothing from them since being told the account was on hold. I advised Nolans to carry out due diligence and that no proof had been given.

That was the last I heard from them until this week. I received a short letter from Nolans advising Cabot have agreed to accept a payment plan and to be in touch within 14 days or they'll proceed further against me.

To date, I haven't received a shred of evidence from any parties. I'm also aware that 6 years will have passed in May. Does this sound like a last ditch effort from Nolans before it is statue barred? I've drafted another letter basically repeating myself saying I don't acknowledge the debt and no evidence has been provided. Would that be the best course of action?

Many thanks,
    Absolutely, they want you to make a payment as then you undo it being statute barred giving them another six years to try to come up with the paper work that they very clearly do not have.

I would write back reiterating you have asked for their client to evidence the debt as you do not recognise it and they have not, therefore you will not be paying anything at all until you have been able to properly assess your legal position.

That you do not intend to engage in litigation by correspondence and pursuant to the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 that they and their client cease all communications with you until such time as they are able to comply with your request. The reason, they have no legitimate reason to be contacting you and you find their communications alarming and distressing and they now 'know or ought to know' that continued communications would be contrary to s.1 of that act.

Finally if they are under the illusion that anything other than an individual can cause harassment that you refer them to the case of Ferguson v British Gas 2009.

It's not all good new though, sorry to be the bearer.

Unfortunately the next last ditch effort can be to sling a claim in before the debt becomes statute barred to stop the clock and still provide nothing, then when you defend allow the claim to be stayed by not responding to the case management order of the court. If they can come up with the goods at a later date they'll (there's not time limit) apply to lift the stay and proceed with the claim.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X