• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Blemain Finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blemain Finance warning

ust a warning to all of you considering blemain finance as a loan company.

i made the huge mistake of using this company , reccommended to me by ocean finance. the company insist i take out a joint loan with my wife. i thought nothing of this -until i missed a payment. what blemain do is their small print states that they can ring or mail you upto 4 warnings per month at £35 . what they mean is 4 times per person even though its the same loan. This is a max of £280 charges per month, which when disputed, they state is reasonable as they have capped it to 4 per month. i has 2 letters and 2 calls on the same day.

i lost my job and asked them to defer the payments or part payments until i was back at work. they issued a summons to reposess my house in response.when i questioned it with them at monarch recoveries ( their in house debt collectors), they said they going to 'take my house'

the small print states that if you dont provide them with a copy of your house insurance by a deadline, they will charge you an inflated insurance to cover the house and charge it to your loan. i sent it but they claim they never received it . my house insurance is £230 per year. they charged me £634 and refuse to send a copy of the cover they state they are providing me with.

i asked them for a breakdown of charges so far on the account. they sent me a statement of repayments so far without the charges being listed. six requests so far and nothing forthcoming.

i have since got back on track and intend speaking to the fsa about them but blemain will not send me a list of charges , as i suspect they know it will be damning.

if you are with blemain already - send everything by recorded post as they will deny receiving it, and insist on a list of charges. good luck
    if you are not with blemain yet -you have been warned.THIS IS NOT THE ONLY GRIPE ABOUT THEM ON THE INTERNET.

THIS POST IS FACTUAL AND IS IN NO WAY SLANDEROUS/LIBELOUS. I AM HAPPY TO PROVIDE EVIDENCE OF THE CONTENT.IT IS MEANT AS A WARNING TO OTHERS

Comment

Re: Blemain Finance

Morning All,

Hopefully you will all now have heard about : Bentley -v - Blemain at Cardiff High Court :

Debtor gets five-year stay on repossession - 30/10/2009 (from Credit Today - online)

A read of this may show a way forward, and I say this case marks the 'beginning of the end' for this firm.

As always,

Dougal.
      Last edited by Dougal16T; 3rd November 2009, 09:50:AM. Reason: poor punctation - another detention looms!!

Comment

Sorry, I have just seen this Capital Law who are Solicitors and givememymoney who are a CMC are in in the same building in Cardiff what a coincidence?

Originally posted by magiciansgirl View Post
        I know about this. I rang Andrew Oaks at Capital Law in February. He told me that there is no class action. Basically a claims company called givememymoney are using Capital Law as their preferred solicitor on a number of cases, some of which are with Blemain. He said very little had happened then as Blemain were not coming up with paperwork - quelle surprise. Although I had said I was not interested, I then received an information pack from the Givememymoney people and they charge 25% of anything they get back plus a 'telemarketing' fee of £100. Sorry to dash any hopes.

Comment

Dear all

I recommend a read of Bentley - v - Blemain Finace, Cardiff High Court 30th October 2009. It may be of great assistance!

Best wishes as always to everyone

Dougal

PS: By the way - Blemain lost!

Comment

Originally posted by xanadoo View Post
            Lets put Blemain finance topic here and see if anyonelse has had the experience?
            Been trying to settle my account with BF contesting amount they want had no statement notice of default or notice of arrears for over 4 years no contact from them whatsoever i ve now contacted FSA ombudsman as i wrote complaint letter 2nd letter (recorded delivery) both and 2 e mails to date and no reply dont they want their money

Comment

Originally posted by grimbell View Post
              Hi

I would NOT allow BF to have a dd on my account. I pay by standing order and am therefore in control. I have had them take money, not add it to the account and then deny taking it altogether which then took me 6 months to get back!
              Hi Grimbell, are you still around? I changed to Standing Order over a year ago and have now had a text from Blemain asking me to change back to DD. I know this is because they want to take on the last working day of the month in the hope that I won't have enough left..... I am planning to simply ignore their text (I pay on the 25th). Have you had a text or message? Kind regards, MG

Comment

Hi

No never had that. My agreement says payment on the 28th of month and I pay by faster payments. I won't let them have access to my account or my card details.

They can't force you to set up a dd so long as you pay them can't see the problem. I would tell them to get stuffed lol.

Comment

Originally posted by xanadoo View Post
                  Lets put Blemain finance topic here and see if anyone else has had the experience?
                  After borrowing a £4,000 secured (on a house) loan from Blemain and making lots of payments... thought that selling the house to a property buyer though the solicitor involved in the conveyancing said that Blemain were asking for £13,000!
                  Protested,,.....though the solicitor said "PAY NOW, ARGUE LATER"
                  Reluctantly the money was paid. Wanted a breakdown of the charges so went to Trading standards.....
                  Trading Standards officer tried to get a specific breakdown of their charges to find out how they arrived at £13,000 but ....Blemain refused to send the file to the Trading Standards officer!

Written to the Ministry of Justice to ask them just who are Blemain answerable to though The Ministry of Justice have not written back. Sounds like Blemain are answerable to no one.
                  Last edited by unhappyshopper; 6th May 2010, 14:17:PM.

Comment

After reading this thread and being horrified, surely Blemain would be a perfect subject for 'our' friends at the One show, I know a while back they were asking for stories, is that still the case?

Lumi x
                    Luminol x

Comment

Originally posted by unhappyshopper View Post
                      After borrowing a £4,000 secured (on a house) loan from Blemain and making lots of payments... thought that selling the house to a property buyer though the solicitor involved in the conveyancing said that Blemain were asking for £13,000!
                      Reluctantly the money was paid. Wanted a breakdown of the charges so went to Trading standards.....
                      Trading Standards officer tried to get a specific breakdown of their charges to find out how they arrived at £13,000 but ....Blemain refused to send the file to the Trading Standards officer!

Written to the Ministry of Justice to ask them just who are Blemain answerable to though The Ministry of Justice have not written back. Sounds like Blemain are answerable to no one.

The FSA may help is is their info and contact details

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/Pages/consumer...ng/index.shtml

Comment

I would have thought they are regulated by the FSA. If you go on to the FSA web site should be able to find out. If they are, then you should write to the FSA demanding that their member supplies you with the information you have requested.

The FOS can play a part in trying to remedy this for you, if you make a complaint they will give you a case worker who will take this up on your behalf. http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

I have heard so many problems with Blemain Finance and they sail very close to the line.

You are entitled to get this formation that you have requested and I think that your solicitor should have put his foot down and insisted that they gave you this information so that it could be verified, before the money was paid.

Tuttsi

Comment

Blemain finance Ltd are on the FSA register as an introducer so they are on the register. Hopefully you could get Trading Standards to back up your complaint as BF refused to co-operate with them.

Good luck as BF are very slippery people to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by unhappyshopper View Post

I would suggest sending in a forensic accountant. That's what I'm going to do before I sell my property and redeem the loan.

Comment

Originally posted by magiciansgirl View Post
                              I would suggest sending in a forensic accountant. That's what I'm going to do before I sell my property and redeem the loan.
                              Good morning,

Just poking my nose in (again!), but Blemain have already been penalised in a previous case.

I would tactfully suggest the following possibilities:

1. Contact your Solicitor again and ask this question:
                              'Did you at any time obtain a full breakdown of the amount which Blemain were asking for?' In the evnt that the answer is 'No'. Then file a complaint with the SRA (Solicitors regulation authority), also check via the SRA website the situation regarding the 'practising certificate' which the solicitor you used holds - important to remember that if you did not see a fully 'fledged' solicitor, but an assistant/associate, then in law you may have a valid claim for negligence against the solicitor who holds the certificate at the practice.

2. If you have full details of the whole matter I think that you may well have a criminal case against Blemain - I recommend a read of my old friend the Fraud Act 2006, Section 3 applies in your case.
                              I think I would do the following: Write to Blemain and tell them you intend to instigate proceedings via the Police under Sec 3 of the above Act, as they have persistently failed to comply with that Section of the Act. This may be enough to make them 'play ball', but if not please send me a PM and I will guide you through the process of makiing a complaint to the Police. (It will take time, but there once a prosecution is under way you will be on the 'home straight'.) The Police will take action - but there are steps which must follow a pattern for this to happen!

3. Forget the FOS - too lengthy and 'no teeth.'

As always, best wishes to all

Dougal

The views expressed here are my own and based on fully documented personal experience.

Comment

I don't know if anyone's interested but, in the last couple of days, I've referred a Blemain set of signed documents to a solicitor that I deal with. Having looked at them, he believes that they probably contravene the rules of fairness to the client. Also, he believes that their early repayment penalties are harsh (as do most people here it would seem). The point is that it might be possible to launch a successful challenge against Blemain. The solicitor is NOT one of the claims management companies, neither am I. He does however have contacts with a barrister who is expert in consumer credit matters. If these things can be challenged, it would be at minimal cost so worth considering. Put a response on this blog if you're interested. Let's make Blemain hurt - they deserve it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X