• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

M&S store card turned credit card - what next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M&S store card turned credit card - what next?

Don't you just hate people who will not give you a straight answer:tape2:

I am sure you have a good reason why you can not

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post

Jon - pt has ethics to keep to, as a lot of cases are dealt with on client confidentiality built in, and as such representatives of clients are bound by etiquette. PT is such a person.

Comment

It's common for agreements to involve a clause whereby you are bound not to make 'disparaging remarks' about a company or individual. I had one such agreement on an employment matter, although it was just for five years - this was in 2004 so I'm free to make any remarks I want now. :grin:

PT would also be bound by client confidentiality and/or DPA issues.

Comment

Mike I am fully aware who PT is and he is aware who I am. I trust he will take my comment in the manner in which it was intended even though it is alleged that people in his profession have no sense of humour (not by me I hasten to add)

I am sure if he was able he would have given more details

Comment

Mike I am fully aware who PT is and he is aware who I am. I trust he will take my comment in the manner in which it was intended even though it is alleged that people in his profession have no sense of humour (not by me I hasten to add)

I am sure if he was able he would have given more details
            Hahahaha Hello Jon,

All good, i will be doing a number of updates on our website, and the full details will be there for all to see,im just holding off posting their name for the minute
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
              All good, i will be doing a number of updates on our website, and the full details will be there for all to see,im just holding off posting their name for the minute
              PT's probably waiting until their cheque clears for his costs first :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post

Nice one!

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                  lol good thought, but not the right one sadly
                  I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Letter received from Rockwell today:

"...in view of your comments, we referred to our client for further information. They have now confirmed to us that you did previously raise concerns regarding this matter and this was addressed by their complaints department. They also confirmed that you were advised in November that the account is enforceable. We would much prefer to arrange for an amicable settlement of this matter..."

They are asking for a full alleged amount within the next thirty days or a 'firm and realistic repayment proposals', as well as asking to fill a financial statement.

Do they think that I was born yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr $quandaŁot View Post
                      maybe the day before yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Mr $quandaŁot View Post
                        Letter received from Rockwell today:

"...in view of your comments, we referred to our client for further information. They have now confirmed to us that you did previously raise concerns regarding this matter and this was addressed by their complaints department. They also confirmed that you were advised in November that the account is enforceable. We would much prefer to arrange for an amicable settlement of this matter..."

They are asking for a full alleged amount within the next thirty days or a 'firm and realistic repayment proposals', as well as asking to fill a financial statement.

A lot of people act as if they were! :grin: Of course they'd say the account is enforceable, they wouldn't want 2.6 million cardholders to find out their accounts are not enforceable, would they?
                        Implications for M&S Santander's defeat could affect food and clothes retailer Marks & Spencer.

"I think this might be a common scenario where borrowers have had a store card changed to a credit card without the parties entering into a new (modifying) agreement”
                        Its card business, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBC bank, had instigated a wholesale conversion of 2.6 million of its store cards to credit cards in September 2003.By October that year, the OFT had taken a dim view of this as well.

Marks & Spencer, like GE Capital, had been telling its store-cardholders that their cards would be upgraded to credit cards automatically.

M&S was forced to step back, and to make clear to customers that if they wanted to keep their store card, they could simply ignore the new bit of plastic that had fallen, uninvited, through their letter box.

On the specific point at issue in Diana Mayhew's case, M&S declined to say whether it had supplied all its cardholders with updated terms and conditions at the time of the upgrade.

How many of these upgraded cards are still in circulation?
                        This goes back to 2003 ---> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3174580.stm
                        Marks and Spencer argued it was not breaking credit laws barring the issue of credit cards to consumers that had not requested them, as store card customers already had a credit agreement with the company.
                        Inertia selling of credit can have damaging consequences for consumers
                        But the OFT said Marks and Spencer did not have the right to change one type of card into another in this way.

Comment

Having seen the form they sent, I wonder whether that constitutes a breach of debt collection guidelines, because they are not just asking for the usual I&E info but go as far as to ask for employers name, address and phone number, as well as car registration number and value and even the value of your house and the amount outstanding on the mortgage! That is way beyond what they'd need to know for the purpose of accepting a repayment proposal if one was put forward. The trouble is, many people would probably answer such questions because they don't know any better. Rockwell really are cheeky buggers! :mad2: :mad2:

Comment

send copy to regulators a must!

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                              Having seen the form they sent, I wonder whether that constitutes a breach of debt collection guidelines, because they are not just asking for the usual I&E info but go as far as to ask for employers name, address and phone number, as well as car registration number and value and even the value of your house and the amount outstanding on the mortgage! That is way beyond what they'd need to know for the purpose of accepting a repayment proposal if one was put forward. The trouble is, many people would probably answer such questions because they don't know any better. Rockwell really are cheeky buggers! :mad2: :mad2:
                              They have no legal right to ask for this information let alone store it in a database. Just who TF do these mongrels think they are. Of course you could mix up your registration number with that of the the local constabulary or maybe that of a local Rolls Royce owner

Comment

Thank you all for your help and assistance.
                                Last edited by Celestine; 13th March 2013, 12:57:PM. Reason: removed potential headache for me comments x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X