• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is it safe to contest the CCA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is it safe to contest the CCA?

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
    Reference the Mrs J case on the Watsons website. http://www.watsonssolicitors.co.uk/n...tail.php?id=18

If, a creditor can't provide a true copy of the CCA and if, a reconstructed CCA is also unavailable or is unacceptable (I don't fully understand the technicalties but undersdtand that recons can sometimes be invalid), then does it follow that this would be irredeemeably unenforceable?

unenforceability can still be argued on older credit agreements and I am really interested in getting a solicitor to look into mine with Barclaycard if they don't send the FOS the reconstructed copy they claim to have. The card goes back to 1999 so is a recon likely to be acceptable anyway?

Also, how are these cases funded? Do Watsons and other firms of solicitors work on a no-win no fee basis? But what about adverse costs?

Apologies if these are dumb questions.
    I actually did the summary judgment hearing agaisnt the bank, so i can speak from personal knowledge.

There could be no true copy of a document that never existed, that is a fallacy if the bank suggests other wise, we had a letter from the bank confirming their error, so 61(1)(a) was never complied with end of story, the judge did not hesitate in granting summary judgment, and indemnity costs tooo

In respect of costs and no win no fee

lets clear some myths,

CFA - Conditional Fee Agreements are no win no fee documents, they do not mean that the solicitor works for free at all. The indemnity principle means that the loser of a claim pays the winners costs within reason.

CFA means that there will be a bill which the client will be liable for at the end of the litigation but the client will in most cases be able to recover the bill from the opponent

Disbursements are the responsibility of the client, this is in the agreement itself, these are things like application fees and Counsels fees.

However, we do at our discretion, assist people with Counsels fees, but that does depend on each case.

If the claim is lost, then there is no bill save for disbursements, payable to us but the other side will be entitled to their costs.

Thankfully, we dont lose much, so it doesnt arise that often,
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks on the cfa clarification. I suspect though that most debtors acn't afford a barrister's opinion on the merits though and most firm's would be reluctant to shell that out as a disbursement. that must put a lot of potential claimant's off I think.

is the insurance expensive? is it based on counsel's opinion?

on the absent agreement issue, does it follow that if a true copy and a reconstructed copy can't be supplied, that it can be argued there never was an agreement....a la Mrs J? I guess it would be unacceptable to say "I can't remember" if there was a CAA it was so long ago"..............?

Comment

no Mrs Js case wasnt that she couldnt remember, it was that she was asked in branch if she would like a credit card, she said no, she then received one through the post without warning

I cant really answer those questions as each case does turn on its merits
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

ok. if Barclaycard don't have a copy CCA then I'll probably be in touch!

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
            ok. if Barclaycard don't have a copy CCA then I'll probably be in touch!

Looking like there might be a glimmer of light at the end of your tunnel

Comment

Originally posted by middenmess View Post
              Looking like there might be a glimmer of light at the end of your tunnel
              I need it mate. Barclaycard have been complete pigs in their dealings with me. The FOS have indicated I can't expect any help, but at least they have written to BC asking for a copy of the CCA, reconstructed or otherwise.

Comment

Hello Debt Star,

I might be in touch also!!

Barclaycard are still adding £270 a month interest on my account.

They only started adding it after CCCS stopped my DMP as I am on benefits with no cash over each month to pay creditors!!!!

Hardly fair!!!!! Seeing as they stopped the interest about two years ago but then I fall into deeper hard times and they start it again.

Where is the sense and logic in that?
                Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Comment

The biggest hurdle we face, if we bring proceedings against BC, is paying for Counsel's Opinion on the merits of a case. Barrister's would charge £1000-£1500 plus VAT for an Opinion, or thereabouts. Thats the problem.

It looks like there is insurance available and CFAs for costs, on the strengths of a case.

What is needed is some sort of fighting fund and which, one wonders, could be raised on sites like this from voluntary donations? A panel of solicito rs and barristers could be set up and, based on the 'merits' of any given case, the fighting fund used to pay for Counsel's Opinion and possibly other disbursements.

Comment

Me v Tesco/Incasso - Appeal in process

Circuit Judge refuses appeal saying DN deemed served on day it was posted, not day it was received. (ie interpretation act doesnt apply)
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

yeah, the judges logic does appear sound, sadly,

the CCA does address service of documents and the IA 78 s7 does include the words "unless the contrary intention appears"

Therefore the judge has concluded that the IA is ousted. In general contract law, where the postal rule applies to acceptance of offers, the offer is deemed accepted when the letter is put in the hands of the royal mail. I guess the judge has drawn a likeness to this in his judgment
                      Last edited by pt2537; 22nd October 2010, 09:12:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

Circuit Judge refuses appeal saying DN deemed served on day it was posted, not day it was received. (ie interpretation act doesnt apply)
                        I can't comment on CCA stuff, but in probate matters eg application to have a caveat warned off, the applicant is given 8 days to respond and the first of those 8 days includes the date the notice was posted ie it is deemed to have been served on the caveator on the day it hits the post box. In this CCA case the judge is presumably thinking along these lines.

Does this mean then that creditors have 12 days to supply a CCA from the date the request was posted? That would have been my view...

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

Astonished!

Comment

I think the problem that OP had was that if the default was considered served in the ordinary course of posting, then it would have provided the statutory 14 days in any event.

So, this goes back to what i said before, that each case must be judged on its own merits

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                              I think the problem that OP had was that if the default was considered served in the ordinary course of posting, then it would have provided the statutory 14 days in any event.

So, this goes back to what i said before, that each case must be judged on its own merits

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...photos/DN1.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...photos/DN2.jpg

Sent 25th Sept

Remedy by 12th Oct

Why is this in court on the service issue then in the first place, thats a clear 14 days with at least 2 days for postage.

Does this circuit judges refusal to appeal mess things up completely or can we still hold out for Brandons appeal in Dec on the same issue ? (will check his DN dates now too!)
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Or can we tell peeps now that the 14 days is no argument (which'd be nice actually) tho I am rather thinking of Zhan in court today.
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X