• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cancelling a distance credit agreement - Samsung Note 9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancelling a distance credit agreement - Samsung Note 9

Amethyst jaguarsuk des8 ostell

I think I am on pretty solid ground but would like some outside views before I decide to go ahead and cancel. So I've pre-ordered the Samsung Note 9 through their shop online and opted to take this out a fixed sum loan, interest free over 2 years through Close Brothers Retail Finance.

Now, I've see that Carphone Warehouse are offering a pretty decent deal with an extra £200 on top of any trade in value along with the wireless charger thrown in for good measure and I am really tempted since I'll save myself around £250 compared to my order with Samsung (I've tried to see if they will match but have informed me they are fixed and can't be changed).

As I made the pre-order along with the loan application at the same time online, this is obviously a distance selling contract subject to The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.

Reg. 29 quite clearly says that I have the right to terminate at any time without penalty provided I do so within the cancellation period. As this is a purchase of goods, Reg. 30(3) applies and my cancellation period is up to 14 days after I receive the goods. Reg. 32(2) then goes on to explain that in order to cancel, I must inform the trader that I am cancelling this.

All pretty straight forward, yes?

So here is the part I am wanting to double check and clarify we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. Reg. 38 explains the effects of cancelling a contract under Reg. 29 in that any ancillary contracts are also automatically terminated. Reg. 38(3) then says the following:

(3) An ancillary contract, in relation to a distance or off-premises contract (the main contract), means a contract by which the consumer acquires goods or services related to the main contract, where those goods or services are provided

(a) by the trader, or

(b) by a third party on the basis of an arrangement between the third party and the trader.
    and then Reg. 38(4) also says this:

(4) Regulation 6(1)(b) (exclusion of financial services contracts) does not limit the contracts that are ancillary contracts for the purposes of this regulation.
    For clarity, Reg. 6(1)(b) says that:

(1) These Regulations do not apply to a contract, to the extent that it is:
    (b) for services of a banking, credit, insurance, personal pension, investment or payment nature;

So, as far as I interpret the legislation and in order to do this correctly, I must inform Samsung that I wish to cancel the order and in doing so, the fixed sum loan agreement is also cancelled as it is an ancillary contract within the meaning of Reg. 38(3)(b). Also, as I read Reg. 30(4), it confirms that the limitations of Reg. 6(1)(b) does not affect the automatic cancellation of the fixed sum loan agreement which is ancillary to the order made with Samsung.

Now if I do cancel the agreement, who informs Close Brothers that it is cancelled under Reg. 29? I presume that it should be Samsung, but for comfort I think I would rather send Close Brothers that confirmation too.

I've never done a cancellation like this before and quite honestly, it is the first time I have looked into this in any real depth, so any opinions whether in agreement or not would be appreciated.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.
    Tags: None

I have had a look around and can't find anything which would throw doubt on your interpretation.

Comment

Thanks Des, I thought as much but wanted to make sure I wasn't jumping the gun and then wind myself up with a default through no fault of my own if Close Brothers dispute this.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

All seems correct and I think sending Close Brothers the cancellation just covers your bases.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X