• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Skeleton Arguments Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeleton Arguments Needed

Hi everybody,

I am probably now in a real minority as I started a claim for unfair charges in late '06 which is still in progress.

Having been treated so terribly by the Bank in 2000-2001 which nearly led to bankruptcy (in fact the bank recommended it would you believe!) I was of course compelled to try and reclaim the charges - amounting to over £14000 at the time.

Since the OFT test case the bank has tried to strike out the claim but I have tried hard to defend this by collecting various snippets of information and reading up on contract law applicable at that point in time and submitting a defence against the strike out.

The result of this is that the case has just been moved from my local county court to the larger local city court and I have been asked to exchange skeleton arguments.

I have changed tack in light of the OFT and I now focus my legal argument on the fairness of contract rather than the charges levied as you can see from the defence against strike out below.

CLAIMANT’S RESPONSE TO
    DEFENDANT’S APPLICATION & STRIKE OUT JUDGEMENT

Application & Judgement

The Defendant has made an application for the Claim to be struck out and that Summary Judgment be entered for the Defendant on the grounds that the Claimant has no reasonable grounds of success. The Claimant has been actively seeking an out of court settlement, response to which has been prolonged and has finally been rejected by the Defendant. During this time a strike out notice has been received from the Court.

The Background

1. In the recent case of The Office of Fair Trading (Respondents) v Abbey National plc & Others [2009] UKSC 6, the Supreme Court was extremely careful to say that their Lordships’ judgment did not “close the door on the OFT’s investigations and may well not resolve the myriad cases that are currently stayed in which customers have challenged [Bank Charges].” (para.61 of the Supreme Court judgment)

2. What is more, their Lordships also confirmed that a number of challenges could still be brought under Regulation 6(2)(b) of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations, and Lord Phillips held (at Para 60-64) that a legal challenge could, in fact, still be brought under Regulation 6(2)(b) when he confirmed the point that was raised by Andrew Smith J at Paragraph 400 of his judgment in the Commercial Court:
    “Moreover, the basis of the whole package argument is that the Relevant Charges are not the price or remuneration for services but part of the price or remuneration for services. An assessment of the fairness of the Relevant Charges does not involve an assessment of the level or adequacy or appropriateness of the overall price or remuneration for the package of services supplied by the Bank, and an assessment of the fairness of the Relevant Charges as against those services, apart from being entirely beside the point, would not intrude upon the essential bargain between the parties that the Directive and the 1999 Regulations intend should be protected from assessment. The whole package argument does not engage the policy of the Directive and the 1999 Regulations for exempting the fairness of the Relevant Terms from assessment. Indeed, I am far from convinced that an assessment of part of the price or remuneration (or at least for less than what is manifestly the predominant part of the price or remuneration) for goods or services would ever be covered by Regulation 6(2)(b), but since this is not an argument advanced by the OFT, I say no more about that.”

3. The Supreme Court also referred to regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 ( Para 8 ) , which states:
    “A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.”

4. The current account contract was not individually negotiated, because the Defendant imposes its own standard terms and conditions on its customers and is not prepared to agree or to permit any individually agreed variations to the supplier/customer relationship.

5. The lack of competition amongst High Street banks has been the focus of concern by the Government and the OFT, and was even highlighted by Lady Hale in her judgment in the recent OFT litigation against 8 UK banks. Indeed, Lady Hale even suggested that the lack of competition was the cause of the present bank charges problems. (Para.93 of the Supreme Court judgment)

6. There is a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations and this is to the detriment of the customer. This can be seen at least in the following ways:-

a. The bank reserves itself the right to vary terms and conditions as it sees fit.
    b. These variations are imposed without discussion with the customer.
    c. The customer has no choice other than to accept the imposition of new or varied terms or else to accept the contract as terminated.
    d. The bank not only varies the banking contract because of business necessity such as to reflect an increased level of inflation or an increased bank base rate – but also to restructure a banking product or to raise interest rates beyond what is needed to maintain the status quo. Such variations are to the prejudice of the customer.
    e. It is submitted that such accumulated variations over a period of time add up to substantially a banking relationship which is wholly different to that which existed at the time the original contract was made and wholly different to expectations of either party (bank/customer) at the time the original contract was made.
    f. There exists no independent regulator of the banking system to protect the customer’s rights.
    g. The banking operation is without exception computer controlled. The rules applied to the Customer by the bank’s computerised system vary without notification to the customer.

7. There is lack of mutuality in the bank/customer relationship. There is no reciprocity so that the customer is not permitted to impose any contractual variations on the bank.

8. The current account contract allows the bank to impose charges at a high rate in the event that the customer makes some error in the management of his account. The bank will not accept any similar liability in the event that it makes a similar error in the management of the customer’s account.

9. The bank reserves to itself a right to terminate the banking relationship at any time for any reason. There is no requirement of ‘reasonable cause’ and the peremptory exercise of this contractual right is a frequent cause of future financial problems for many bank customers. Many banks in fact terminated Consumer accounts because they exercised their right to bring legal proceedings.

10. The bank reserves itself the right to terminate any overdraft facility and to require repayment within a time schedule of its own choosing. There is no requirement of ‘reasonable cause’ and the peremptory exercise of this contractual right is a frequent cause of grave financial problems for many bank customers.

11. It is submitted that the points listed above are all highly symptomatic of a want of good faith by the banks in the form and in the application of their standard form contract.

12. Until the recent OFT litigation, the banks had failed to be transparent about their charges in that they had denied that cross-subsidy took place at all and had even attempted to suggest that their charges represented value for money by claiming that that the charges were informed by the administrative costs of dealing with insufficient funds situations.

13. It is submitted that this deceptive information was calculated to deny their customers a chance to judge whether they really were receiving value for money in respect of the charges they were being forced to pay. The information was not given to their customer in good faith and was calculated to make them act to their own detriment.

14. There are further legal arguments to the said charges that can be brought under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, section 82 (1), Variation of Agreements which states the following:

(1) Where, under a power contained in a regulated agreement, the creditor or owner varies the agreement, the variation shall not take effect before notice of it is given to the debtor or hirer in the prescribed manner

15. The Claimant will show that the terms and conditions relating to the current account operated by the Defendant abruptly and significantly changed (to the severe detriment of the Claimant) without notifying the Claimant of this change.

16. Assessment of fairness by the OFT, although the Supreme Court decision has prevented the OFT from applying any finding of unfairness for the purposes of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regs 1999, such a finding will be highly probative of a breach of the banks’ obligations under the FSA Regs and therefore their implied duty to act fairly under the banking contract.

17. In the event that the OFT has now decided to discontinue with the legal challenge into the fairness of bank charges, then the court’s attention is respectfully drawn to the recent decision in Pannon GSM Zrt. v Erzsébet Sustikné Győrfi (ECJ Case C-243/08) were it was held that national's court of its own motion must determine whether the contract before it contains unfair terms.

18. The OFT action and their subsequent decision to discontinue the legal challenge into the fairness of bank charges was out of the Claimant’s control. The independent OFT activities have affected the Claimant’s position and the court’s attention is respectfully drawn to this fact. This should not prejudice the Claimant from continuing due legal process and amendment of particulars of claim in light of the above.

19. Strike Out

20. By CPR r.3.4 the court has the power to order the whole or any part of a statement of case to be struck out. This power can be resorted to on an application by a party. It can also be used by the court of its own initiative with (and sometimes without) the involvement of the ‘innocent’ party. Rule 3.4(2) of the CPR provides:

The court may strike out a statement of case if it appears to the court:

a) that the statement of case discloses no reasonable grounds for bringing or defending the claim;
    b) that the statement of case is an abuse of the court’s process or is otherwise likely to obstruct the just disposal of the proceedings; or
    c) that there has been a failure to comply with a rule, practice direction or court order.

21. Procedure where an application is made by one of the parties

22. At least where a Defendant makes such an application in accordance with PD 23 para 2.7, the rule is that any application to strike out should be made as soon as it becomes apparent that it is desirable to make it. Applications to strike out should usually be made in the period of acknowledgment of service and filing of allocation questionnaires (PD 26, para 5.3(1), and see also PD 3 para 5.1.

23. General Test

24. Under the old rules it was well settled that the jurisdiction to strike out was to be used sparingly. The reason was - and this has not changed - that the exercise of the jurisdiction deprives a party of his right to a trial, and of its right to strengthen its case through the process of disclosure and other court procedures such as requests for further information. Further, it has always been true that the examination and cross-examination of witnesses often change the complexion of a case. It was accordingly accepted that the striking out rule was limited to plain and obvious cases where there was no point in having a trial. The principles from W & H Trade Marks (Jersey) Ltd v W and H Trade Marks (Jersey) Ltd [1986] AC 368 the leading case under the old rules was approved in Three Rivers District Council v Bank of England (No) 3 [2003] AC 1 a t [96]-[97].

25. Sanctions

26. Rule 3.4(2)(c) provides that the court may strike out a statement of case if it appears there has been a failure to comply with a rule, practice direction or court order. Striking out the whole of a party’s statement of case ought to be reserved for the most serious, or repeated breaches or defaults (see UCB Corporate Services Ltd v Halifax (SW) Ltd [1999] CPLR 691, CA). Unless there is a serious default or breach the court should be prepared to impose a sanction which ‘fits the crime’.

27. Courts imposing sanctions such as stays and striking out have to pay attention to the fact that they may be depriving the Claimant access to the court, which has particular importance under Art 6 of the European Convention of Human Rights (Woodhouse v Consignia plc [2002] 1 WLR 2558.). Proportionality is also an important factor (Powell v Boladz LTL 22/9/03.).

28. Effect of strike out

29. Where the party is the Claimant and the order provides for striking out the whole of the Claim, the Defendant may seek an award for costs by filing a request.

30. Recent Correspondance

31. From the time of the Defendant’s application the Claimant has been acting to resolve the case by way of Out of Court Settlement as detailed in the attached letters.

32. The Defendant has responded slowly, requiring further prompting by the Claimant as shown and culminating in a refusal to accept the Claimant’s request. This has led to an unintended delay in responding to the Defendant’s Application.

33. Submissions

34. It is submitted that in deciding whether to grant the Defendant’s application, the court should systematically consider each of the factors listed above, and then weigh up the various factors in deciding whether granting the application would accord with the overriding objective.

35. In respect of these factors, it is submitted on behalf of the Claimant that it is in the interest of the administration of justice to refuse application for summary judgment.

36. In addition, the court will be aware that it needs to do justice between the parties in light of the overriding objective and the court is reminded that the Claimant is litigant in person.

37. It is submitted that striking out the Claimant’s claim and granting the Defendant’s application is a draconian sanction, which is not compatible with the overriding objective or with Article 6 of the European Convention of Human Rights on the facts of this case.

38. In so far as this can be said to be a developing area of law, striking out should be refused in accordance with the principles set out in Brooks v Commissioner of Police for the Metropolis [2005] 1 WLR 1495.

39. Finally, the Claimant believes this to be an extremely good Claim on its merits. The Claimant believes that they possess strong evidence to support this claim, which in turn is underpinned by several elements of applicable law - contrary to CPR 24.2 & 3.4.

40. Conclusion

41. It is respectfully submitted that the Strike Out Judgement be set aside and that the Claimant be allowed 4 weeks to submit amendments to the particulars of claim. After which the Defendant be granted the standard times to submit an acknowledgement and defence.

I am reading the opinion of Anthony Scrivener QC and hope that I can apply further and more lucid arguments but I would also appreciate any comments.

One last point - I split the claim into 5 cases so that each was under the £5K limit - our local county court thought this was quite a good idea (rather than an abuse of CPR). Currently with interest the total is £26K ish (which of course means nothing unless won).

I don't believe the above is frivolous and I am determined to fight (unless this is widely regarded as a lost cause).

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks.
    T
    Tags: None

Re: Skeleton Arguments Needed

OK I have got the basic arguments done - anyone up for reviewing the wording?

T

Comment

Trafalgar, currently no case has been won by an LiP or by anyone else either. Whilst I can understand why you are trying to get a win, the problem lies with the end of the OFT test case because that judgement effectively meant that any court cases post then could if proceded be liable for costs and the fact that they have got the case moved MAY be why they might get costs. If you have split the claims to avoid costs, I suspect the bank will argue it is part of the same case and ask for costs against you which may happen should you lose. I'll ask site team to look at this because I'm sure the case is on a sound footing.
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hi Trafalgar
        I am a firm prompoter of Section 140 of the CCA amendments 2006
        I firmly believe that you should try and include somewhere in your argument Section 140B(9) of the CCA Unfair Relationship..........which reverses the onus of proof .......it swings it on to the creditor to prove your assertions are wrong. if you say that their charges should only be say £5.00 they would have to provide concrete proof that it does/did cost more than that.......they would not like to do that........it would require exactly how they arrived at the amount they charge.

But I'm an "old Git" and I ramble a lot.#

Sparkie

Comment

Leclerc and Sparkie,

Thanks very much for your comments. Sparkie - unfortunately my case is prior to the 2006 Judgement so I can't use it I'm afraid.

Alongside the unfairness argument I have also two breach of contract arguments which I (as a layperson) think I can prove by way of my Bank Statements as follows.

1. The Banking Code of Practice (1999) was broken - I am arguing these are implied terms
          2. The bank T&Cs (1992 - i.e. when I opened the account - can't find any revisions to these prior to 2002) were broken

Thanks again.

Leclerc : Thanks - I am realistic and certainly advice would be very much appreciated at the moment, I need to get these arguments off to Cobbetts to give them enough time to respond before court (August-ish - not got a firm date yet).

The good thing is that an exchange of arguments has been called for and maybe Cobbetts response in this instance may be very informative for everyone?

Kind Regards
          T

Comment

You should include these additional arguments as to breach of contract in the one skeleton argument, and state inititally that your case involves arguments in the alternative:

- breach of explicit terms of the contract between the bank and yourself

- breach of terms implied into that contract by statute eg UCTA or by way of UTCCR 1999

- breach of terms implied into the contract by way of the Bankers' Code being implied into it

For each alleged breach, you should state what the term is, how it is breached and what evidence you are relying on, eg documents, witness statements, caselaw.

If possible, open your skeleton argument with a case summary of not more than 250 words.

Close with a statement of the remedies you are seeking. if there are any orders or directions you want the court to make, you should supply a draft order.

The court does have a power to bring all the matters concerning the same parties together rather than hearing the cases separately, if they arise out of the same factual scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by trafalgar View Post
              Leclerc and Sparkie,

Thanks very much for your comments. Sparkie - unfortunately my case is prior to the 2006 Judgement so I can't use it I'm afraid.

Alongside the unfairness argument I have also two breach of contract arguments which I (as a layperson) think I can prove by way of my Bank Statements as follows.

1. The Banking Code of Practice (1999) was broken - I am arguing these are implied terms
              2. The bank T&Cs (1992 - i.e. when I opened the account - can't find any revisions to these prior to 2002) were broken

Thanks again.

Leclerc : Thanks - I am realistic and certainly advice would be very much appreciated at the moment, I need to get these arguments off to Cobbetts to give them enough time to respond before court (August-ish - not got a firm date yet).

The good thing is that an exchange of arguments has been called for and maybe Cobbetts response in this instance may be very informative for everyone?

Kind Regards
              T
              Hi T

The Unfair Relationship gives the Court the power to go back as far as it likes .....it actually overrides the Limitations Act.......I have one in for summary Judgement on an agreement dating back to 1997 which was a three year HP Agreement.
              You can take action under it for
              "Anything a creditor has done before the agreement began whilst the agreement was in force and after the agreement had ended".

Sparkie

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie1723 View Post
                Hi T

The Unfair Relationship gives the Court the power to go back as far as it likes .....it actually overrides the Limitations Act.......I have one in for summary Judgement on an agreement dating back to 1997 which was a three year HP Agreement.
                You can take action under it for
                "Anything a creditor has done before the agreement began whilst the agreement was in force and after the agreement had ended".

Sparkie
                Sparkie, I want to challenge any person on this forum to provide a link to a case settled/won via the courts since November 2009(either on a forum/blog or any site) with regards to a bank charges case alone. I know there have cases that have been lost with costs since then but not 1 single case based on the arguments produced that have been won. There are cases pending, that bit I know, however, I am very very cautious of suggesting to an LIP to go down this route. My opinion is that historic bank charges currently are dead in the water and if you do not have the funds to pay if you lose your case then be warned very early on that you could find your case going tits up.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                  Sparkie, I want to challenge any person on this forum to provide a link to a case settled/won via the courts since November 2009(either on a forum/blog or any site) with regards to a bank charges case alone. I know there have cases that have been lost with costs since then but not 1 single case based on the arguments produced that have been won. There are cases pending, that bit I know, however, I am very very cautious of suggesting to an LIP to go down this route. My opinion is that historic bank charges currently are dead in the water and if you do not have the funds to pay if you lose your case then be warned very early on that you could find your case going tits up.

Hi NNNNNNNN............... leclerc

Agree with exactly what you say...I onl mentioned Section 140 as it appears T is adamant to nchase this ....I was only trying to add a bit more weight should he decide to go the full distance...................I do know that Banks and creditors do not like section 140 at all.............but again as allways it is down to interpretation........it is a useful tool if you read it as I have.

Sparkie

Comment

Thanks again to you both for both viewpoints. I didn't know that the unfair aspect overrides the Limitation Act.

I must confess that I am wary of introducing any argument that might be construed as falling foul of the current interpretation of Regulation 6(2)(b) and perhaps Section 140 is a step too far?

I am concentrating upon the Regulation 5(1) theme of unfairness to a large degree and I do take your point about the remoteness of success Leclerc, however, I cannot find any reference to a case that has explored this avenue - which seems fully open to me at the moment (although I feel this is still a developing area of Law).

IMHO the banks terms regarding charges do conceal a pitfall subjecting customers to the Bank's sharp practice of applying charges as they see fit - irrespective of the sometimes devastating effects on the customer - this absolutely cannot be fair and open dealing, is a want of good faith and illustrates a clear imbalance in the parties rights and obligations.

Lord Bingham 's speech in First National regarding the above is key and I cannot understand why no-one has used this (unless dissuaded by risk of costs - but everyone?).

How about I finish off my arguments and post so you can see if I am off my head?

Thanks again for your valuable input guys - I'm really on my own here and you can't believe how grateful I am for your comments.

T

Comment

Originally posted by trafalgar View Post
                      Thanks again to you both for both viewpoints. I didn't know that the unfair aspect overrides the Limitation Act.

I must confess that I am wary of introducing any argument that might be construed as falling foul of the current interpretation of Regulation 6(2)(b) and perhaps Section 140 is a step too far?

I am concentrating upon the Regulation 5(1) theme of unfairness to a large degree and I do take your point about the remoteness of success Leclerc, however, I cannot find any reference to a case that has explored this avenue - which seems fully open to me at the moment (although I feel this is still a developing area of Law).

IMHO the banks terms regarding charges do conceal a pitfall subjecting customers to the Bank's sharp practice of applying charges as they see fit - irrespective of the sometimes devastating effects on the customer - this absolutely cannot be fair and open dealing, is a want of good faith and illustrates a clear imbalance in the parties rights and obligations.

Lord Bingham 's speech in First National regarding the above is key and I cannot understand why no-one has used this (unless dissuaded by risk of costs - but everyone?).

How about I finish off my arguments and post so you can see if I am off my head?

Thanks again for your valuable input guys - I'm really on my own here and you can't believe how grateful I am for your comments.

T

The charge is for consideration ie whether to pay or not pay, that is the interpretation of what the charge is for apart from charges for being in excess of an agree overdraft facility.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                        Hello leclerc,

Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to be successful in a claim against LTSB. The claim was in respect of charges on a business account and the bank settled prior to a scheduled directions hearing. The total sum, including a refund of charges made prior to the issue of the claim, was approx £7500.

Of course, LTSB trotted out the ‘commercial decision’ reason for making an offer of settlement and that may well be genuine, especially as it coincided with the arrival of Mr Horta-Osorio.

However, I like to think there was something in my arguments which worried them enough to avoid the risk of losing in court. Judgment in my favour would have been preferable but, as the object of the exercise was to extract money from LTSB, I was quite happy to settle on a Part 36 offer.

Fortinbras

Comment

Were your arguments similar to post 1?

Trafalgar, is your case a business account or personal account claim?

Comment

I have some new arguments - post 1 was really to defend against the strike out, I have taken some of the bits in that and then added quite a bit extra based on the Anthony Scrivener QC analysis of the OFT case plus a review of the original contract terms and implied terms from the code of conduct.

This is a personal account.

Thanks.

T

Comment

OK here are the arguments so far - they are hardly skeleton as there is a bit of detail in them, also please don;t get on my case (excuse the pun) for the ramshackle layout - this is very much work in progress.

The Background

1. The Claimant opened a current account with the Defendant in 1992 and prior to September 2000 operated the account for the most part in credit, with short periods where the account was overdrawn.

2. In October 2000, the Claimant’s current account became overdrawn, however, on this occasion, immediately and without prior notification, the Defendant substantially charged the Claimant where previously little or no charges were levied. The aggressive nature of the Defendant’s change in conditions forced the Claimant into a deep cycle of debt.

3. In October 2000 the Claimant sought assistance from the Defendant and referred to the previous good relationship from 1992, together with the fact that the Claimant was well educated, being a Chartered Engineer had a steady long term income, was married and had a small family (Son 6yrs, Daughter Just Born), factors which the Defendant was already well aware.

4. The Defendant refused any assistance by way of additional services such as an overdraft facility or short term loan. The only subsequent advice received was that the Claimant declare bankruptcy.

5. The Claimant not having Banking or Law expertise and unaware of the Banking Code of Practice did not realise that the account could be switched or closed during this period. The Defendant did not offer this advice.

6. The severe financial position continued until October 2002 when the Claimant finally earned enough money to clear the account debt and close the account, having paid a total of £14785.00 over the 24 month period.

7. The Claimant only realised the mistake that a claim could be brought to recover the charges in October 2006 via news coverage. The Claimant wrote to the Defendant at that time, however, response was very slow and negative, resulting in the Claimant commencing Court proceedings in March 2007.

8. The Defendant then made an offer, which the Claimant rejected. Subsequently the case was stayed pending the result of the OFT Test Case.

9. Following the OFT Test Case result the Claimant elected to accept the original offer, this was rejected by the Defendant who then applied for the Claimant’s cases to be struck out, however, the Supreme Court judgement in the OFT Test Case clarified that a challenge can be made to the level of contingent or ancillary charges, provided that challenge is not based on the price/quality ratio of those services.

10. In particular the Supreme Court judgement made specific reference to the fact that challenges can be made under Regulation 5(1) of the UTCCRs which allows for the assessment of all standard form terms and conditions in contracts between consumers and sellers/suppliers. The assessment is one of ‘unfairness’, which is defined by Regulation 5(1):

“A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.”

11. In the event that the OFT has now decided to discontinue with the legal challenge into the fairness of bank charges, then the court’s attention is respectfully drawn to the recent decision in Pannon GSM Zrt. v Erzsébet Sustikné Győrfi (ECJ Case C-243/08) were it was held that national's court of its own motion must determine whether the contract before it contains unfair terms.

12. The Supreme Court judgement also touched upon the guidance with reference to Regulation 5(1) advised by Lord Bingham in Director General of Fair Trading v First National Bank [2001] 1 AC 481 (which was considered by Andrew Smith J) as follows:

“The requirement of good faith in this context is one of open and fair dealing. Openness requires that the terms should be expressed fully, clearly and legibly, containing no concealed pitfalls or traps. Appropriate prominence should be given to terms which might operate disadvantageously to the customer. Fair dealing requires that a supplier should not, whether deliberately or unconsciously, take advantage of the consumer’s necessity, indigence, lack of experience, unfamiliarity with the subject matter of the contract, weak bargaining position or any other factor listed in or analogous to those listed in Schedule 2 to the Regulation.”

13. The Claimant submits that in conjunction with the above the Defendant also acted in breach of contract.

The Arguments

Banking Code of Practice September 1998 (effective 31 March 1999)

14. The voluntary code of practice requires that Banks treat their customers fairly. The Defendant endorsed this code of practice. On this basis the Claimant submits that the code of practice is incorporated into the personal banking contract with the Defendant and is enforceable as implied contractual terms.

15. The code of practice clauses 2.12, 2.13 & 3.4 states.
                              “Changes to terms and conditions
                              2.12 Occasionally terms and conditions may have to be changed. We will tell you how you will be notified of these changes. We will always give you 30 days’ notice before any change takes effect.
                              2.13 If the change is clearly to your disadvantage, we will:
                              • Notify you personally; and
                              • Ignore any notice period on your account for at least 60 days starting from the date of the notice so that you can, if you wish, switch your account or close it.”

“Pre-notification
                              3.4 If charges and/or debit interest accumulate to your current or savings account during a charging period, you will be given at least 14 days’ notice of the amount before it is deducted from your account. The 14 days start from the date of posting the notification.”

16. The Claimant submits that 30 days’ notice of any changes to terms and conditions or personal notification or advice regarding the 60 day notice period or 14 days’ notice of charges prior to deduction from the account was not given by the Defendant.

17. Charges were applied immediately to the Claimant’s account to which the Claimant was only aware of by bank statement received fortnightly or if the Claimant telephoned, which could be one, two or several days later by which time further charges had been applied, trapping the Claimant in a vicious cycle of debt.

18. The Claimant resorted to telephoning almost daily in an attempt to manage the situation, thereby placing a disadvantageous burden upon the Claimant, however, even undertaking this burden many cheques were returned attracting additional charges and fees. As internet banking was not yet available this rendered the ability of the Claimant to manage the account in credit almost totally impossible.

19. The Claimant also had a loan agreement with the Defendant. Notably the Defendant allowed all repayments to be made from the Claimant’s current account regardless of whether the account was overdrawn. This illustrates a further example of unfair dealing and lack of good faith on the part of the Defendant.

20. The Claimant submits that the Defendant took advantage of the necessity of the Claimant to pay for basic living expenses coupled with the weak bargaining position and subsequent induced hardship of the Claimant. This is contrary to UTCCR Regulation 5(1) as it clearly illustrates a lack of good faith by the Defendant and a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations, to the detriment of the Claimant.

21. The Defendant unfairly applied the contract terms relating to the application and incidence of charges highlighting a concealed pitfall and sharp practice of the terms and conditions of the contract.

22. The Claimant can support this by way of Current Account Statements.

Defendant’s Current Account Terms & Conditions 1992

23. The current account contract between the Defendant and the Claimant was not individually negotiated. The Defendant imposed its own standard terms and conditions on the Claimant and was not prepared to agree or to permit any individually agreed variations to the supplier/customer relationship.

24. The National Westminster Bank Terms and Conditions relating to overdrawn accounts states.

“Overdrawn Accounts
                              Overdrafts are available only for a Current or Current Plus account. You may overdraw your account only if you have first arranged this with your Branch Manager. If you do not have an arrangement, we may charge you a fee for being overdrawn, and interest at our rate for unauthorised borrowing.”

And further:

“..If there is not enough money in the account to meet a withdrawal we may:
                              • Refuse to meet the withdrawal or
                              • Close the account.”

25. The above terms granted the Defendant total power over the Claimant in respect of deciding when and what charges to apply, irrespective of the Claimant’s financial position and/or ability to manage the consequences of the Defendant’s actions and illustrates a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations, to the detriment of the Claimant.

26. The discretionary nature of the terms and conditions rendered the Defendant’s decisions opaque to the Claimant in that sometimes a charge was levied, sometimes not and sometimes charges were reversed.

27. The Claimant operated the account without difficulty for a period of 8 years between 1992 and 2000, establishing a familiar routine. In October 2000 the Defendant changed the terms and conditions abruptly and fundamentally to the significant detriment to the Claimant. A fair and reasonable pre-notification period together with close personal contact and guidance regarding how the Claimant would operate the account under the revised terms and conditions was not undertaken by the Defendant. This is evidenced by the crippling charges subsequently levied by the Defendant as illustrated in the Claimant’s bank statements.

28. The National Westminster Bank T&Cs relating to changes to an account states.

“Changes to an account
                              From time to time, we may change the features of an account or card, or the conditions that apply to it. We will write to tell you about any changes, and give you at least 30 days’ advance notice.”

29. The Claimant submits that 30 days notice of any change in conditions was not given by the Defendant. The Defendant’s actions in October 2000 represent a clear change in the conditions under which the contract was executed and thereby constitutes a breach of contract by the Defendant.

30. The Defendant reserves itself the right to vary terms and conditions as it sees fit and these variations were imposed without discussion with the Claimant.

31. The Claimant requires a Current account as an essential part of modern life and the variation of this service by the Defendant without pre-notification and/or discussion with the Claimant is a clear illustration of the Defendant acting contrary to good faith and illustrates a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations, to the detriment of the Claimant.

32. There are further legal arguments to the said charges that can be brought under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, section 82 (1), Variation of Agreements which states the following:
                              (1) Where, under a power contained in a regulated agreement, the creditor or owner varies the agreement, the variation shall not take effect before notice of it is given to the debtor or hirer in the prescribed manner

I haven't done the conclusion and apologise for the bad english and repetition in places - but this gives the full position so far.

T

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X