• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HBOS account compromised and website functions removed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBOS account compromised and website functions removed.

I was directed over here from the members of MSE and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how I should ( or even can ) proceed with the following situation :

Around the start of March, I was checking my HBOS account online and found another persons address linked to my account ( the name, and tel number was mine ). My initial reaction was to telephone HBOS CS and get this changed. This was done over the telephone and for the next week all was fine.

The next time I logged on to my account, I noticed the normal link in the top right hand corner ' Change Details' had been removed. This prevents me from checking name, address and tel numbers associated with this account. At the same time I printed out a statement which I've done countless times before, only this time the statement had no personal details on the top which is normal practice for HBOS.

I then wrote a formal complain to HBOS to which I received a reply in early April - In response to my question asking why I can no longer see or access any personal details to my account , I quote the following

" In relation to your comments regarding changes in our website functionality, please note these changes are not an error or issues with your details. These changes are part of a major investment we are making so the site is easier to use and even more secure. For the initial launch of the new site we have had to remove some online functionality."

Although not an in depth poll, I'm unable to find any other HBOS customer who has lost this functionality. It's been suggested that because my account was compromised with another account holder, HBOS have limited my account.

I would like to know if I have any recourse via a complaint to the FOS or will it just be seen as a banking service that's been removed ? What concerns me most is the function HBOS removed was the very same function that brought it to my attention that my account was compromised with another persons address.
    Tags: None

Re: HBOS account compromised and website functions removed.

Halifax or Bank of Scotland?
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    New look

Bank of Scotland webpage.
    Give their online banking help page a call BUT do not mention the other issue.
    Last edited by leclerc; 5th May 2011, 08:56:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by Hellenmellon View Post
      I noticed the normal link in the top right hand corner ' Change Details' had been removed. This prevents me from checking name, address and tel numbers associated with this account. At the same time I printed out a statement which I've done countless times before, only this time the statement had no personal details on the top which is normal practice for HBOS.
      The reason for the changes may be that, to HBOS, you are no longer a person but just an account number. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
        Halifax or Bank of Scotland?
        New look

Bank of Scotland webpage.
        Give their online banking help page a call BUT do not mention the other issue.

https://www.bankofscotlandhalifax-on...formslogin.asp

If this helps ?

Comment

My advice would be to give the online banking a call(do not mention previous problem) and mention that you cannot check your details online and ask them how to resolve this. As I said don't mention previous problem

Comment

My advice would be to give the online banking a call(do not mention previous problem) and mention that you cannot check your details online and ask them how to resolve this. As I said don't mention previous problem

I'll report back with the outcome

Comment

OK.

I telephoned HBOS and was told to register with Halifax online banking -???

Regardless of what they told me to do, I can already access both Bankofscotland and Halifax online sites with the same log in details. So to make things easier I followed there lead and issues still persist on both sites.

They attempted to update the system but to no avail. In the end I had to complete a checklist and then request help from there IT bods. Not sure how long they will take to reply.

BUT !!!

The Halifax website has a tutorial that shows the 'change details' link' & even has a welcome screen showing your name ( except in my case it dont ! ) , so it's still a current part of the website functionality.

It could be that HBOS believe I have tried to defraud them by changing address details and then informing them ( go figure ! ) and they have removed this funtion from the site or I'm being led up the garden path.

Where can I go from here ?

Comment

Take your business elsewhere, to a bank that does not play at Silly Beggars.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  Take your business elsewhere, to a bank that does not play at Silly Beggars.
                  Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to change banks

Comment

The main thing is that they are investigating the problem and will come back to you with a response. once they do then we can look at what has happened. I do suspect that they have made an error with the account with regards to the correspondence address during an upgrade of their systems.

Comment

The main thing is that they are investigating the problem and will come back to you with a response. once they do then we can look at what has happened. I do suspect that they have made an error with the account with regards to the correspondence address during an upgrade of their systems.
                      I will await there response, hopefully it is a glitch, but I suspect HBOS CS talk cow manure

Comment

I received a reply to my email and then an hour later, all was back to normal ( even if they have my middle inital wrong lol ! ).

So it appeared to be an IT error, but why a senior HBOS CS advisor put's it in writing that it was the result of a website upgrade is beyond me ?

Many thanks for your advice

Comment

Originally posted by Hellenmellon View Post
                          I received a reply to my email and then an hour later, all was back to normal ( even if they have my middle inital wrong lol ! ).

So it appeared to be an IT error, but why a senior HBOS CS advisor put's it in writing that it was the result of a website upgrade is beyond me ?
                          BSBB. (stercus bovi confundit magi)

HTH.

Comment

Perhaps, I spoke to soon.

It appears when my details were re-united with my account, I suddenly developed a change of middle initial. I didn't take much notice for the first few days, but then I notice an extra savings account appear on my online profile. This savings account belongs to ( you've guessed it ) the person who's address was associated with my account in the first instance.

I have full access to this persons account. So I spent the weekend doing a bit of detective work and traced my doppelgänger and spoke to him over the weekend. His name is the same as mine, except for the middle initial - So, I know what's going on, he knows what's going on. But HBOS are still blind to the whole affair despite me contacting them again last week informing them I have a savings account in my profile that I can access in full, that's not mine !

The owner of the savings account forgot it existed, so is waiting on HBOS to review my complaint and then contact him with regards to reuniting him with his money.

I contacted the FSO and they didn't want to know ( I've suffered no financial loss, therefore they wont investigate any complaint ). I then contacted the ICO and they told me to complain again to the bank as they can only slap their hand.

Comment

antonio.osorio@lloydsbanking.com

Hellenmellon, contact the office of Antionio Ororio and explain what has happened and that you have now contacted the other person who's details are on your online account. Explain that you had sufficient details on that person to be able to contact them(a breach of Data Protection) and that both of you are considering whether to take your business elsewhere since if the bank cannot look after that information then why should they be trusted. Furthermore, give them 7 days to resolve the situation or threaten to take it to the press(I'm sure I know one or two journalists who might like a story like that ).
                              The executive office will do something about it as it involves, potential ID theft, reputational risk, loss of two customers and potential press involvement.
                              Please tell us how they get on with resolving this matter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X