• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Santander Bank Charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santander Bank Charges

I have an account with Santander (previously Abbey) with an overdraft facility - I usually manage to keep within the limit, but there have been odd occassions when I've gone over the top - as a result, Santander usually bounce direct debits and charge between £5 and £35 for the privilege.

I'm unclear how they arrive at these charges, but £35 seems very high and just serves to make life even more difficult when money is tight.

Is there any information around about Santander fees?
    Tags: None

Re: Santander Bank Charges

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Stat...ue&maxage=3600
    The above is the fees charged and page 6 is the bit you need. The leaflet applies from October 5th 2010
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Thanks for that, very helpful.

Comment

On loans Santander charge £45 a pop for unpaid items. They charge twice in a very crafty way; £30 for a "missed" payment and £15 for a "late" payment. Both are charged at the same time and result in a £45 charge. IMO this needs to be challenged. My OH has had £325 of such charges over 24 months.

Comment

Santander/Abbey use this double-whammy with their bank accounts as well, usually by charging a fee for a paid item and then adding a further fee for an unarranged overdraft (because, by paying the item when there aren't sufficient funds, the account goes overdrawn) - can add up to £50 in total. It's a nice little earner for them.

Comment

I have complained to "Wanco" Santander about the charges but got a letter back saying they believe they are "fair" and also that the FOS agree with them. I have replied with an "I beg to differ" letter, otsensibly that £12.00 is "fair" according to the OFT and not £45.00. I have also raised hardship issues and will fire this off to the FOS, OFT and LSB when I receive the anticipated response.

I hope you will do the same, as the more that complain the better.

Comment

I've just spoken with someone at their call centre and they agreed to cancel one of the £35 charges due to come out of my account next week - it's a start, and I think I'll ring them again later to query a couple more! You never know, it's worth a try.
              Also tried for a temporary increase in overdraft, but they knocked that back (and then said merry christmas - if only!).

Update - tried again this afternoon but to no avail - looks like the £35 I've had back relates to a DD that probably should have been paid anyway, and that the other couple I was hoping for were against uncleared funds. Worth a try I guess, particularly as it looks like they could have charged me for at least one more but didn't.
              Last edited by supermac9; 24th December 2010, 14:14:PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Its nice to know as the year closes out that the p**s taking hasnt stopped with the gringos along with the other "usual suspects". Bets on 2011 that another BIG court test case comes to the fore on these charges, maybe this time with Brussels coming into play based on developments 3 months back with rulings out of Belgium

x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X