• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailliff chasing disputed balance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailliff chasing disputed balance

Hi all i am looking for some advice. Earlier this year i got myself into a mess that resulted in a charging order being issued for my council tax. The debt was passed to rossendales bailliffs to collect. I made multiple payments directly to liverpool city council as rossendales website would not let me make payments via that.

I ended up loosing track of the balance owed so emailed rossendales to tell them i had lost track of the balance owed and asked them to confirm the balance remaining. Rossendales told me they were still persuing the full balance as liverpol city council had not notified them of the balance. They told me they refused to conact liverpol city council to verify the remaining balnace. I then wrote to them disputing the balance they clai ed and sent copies of my bank statements confirming the payments i had made. They then wrote to me claiming istill owed 294 when by my calculations the balance owed was 138. I sent them a further dispute letter with copies of my bank statements again to prove what i had paid. I also asked liverpool city council to contact them and confirm the balance. To prove i wad willing to pay i paid the 138 that i knew i definately owed
    during all the time i was disouting this balance they continued go call at my house and even issued a notice of distress listing my car. I finally got liverpool city council to confirm the correct balance i owed and paid it straight away in november.

Rossendales turned up at my house today still claiming the debt when i proved it was paid he told me that he would remove my car if i did not pay all the charges. I advised him i was willing to pay the charges for the visits before i disputed the debt but that i was disputing the charges for the visits while my dispute was ongoing. I showed him proof that the balance they chased me for in november was the wrong balance so proved my dispute was valid and he told me unless i paid all the charges he was taking my car. I have paid these charges as i need my car to get to work but i need to know if i can do anything about this. I know they cannot are not supposed to call at my house chasing the debt while it is in dispute but they did he refused to let me pay for the undisputed charges which i was willing to do while my disoute on the other charges was looked into. I now have 2 weeks till i get paid and no money to live on.
    Please is there anything i can do about this?
    Tags: None

Re: Bailliff chasing disputed balance

Originally posted by Chrissymc81 View Post
    I now have 2 weeks till i get paid and no money to live on.
    Please is there anything i can do about this?
    You could starve to death on the City Hall steps. :bolt:

More seriously, your figures suggest to me that Tosserdales have done their usual trick of charging a "van fee" or a removal fee when no removal has actually taken place. This would seem to be a bit naughty, if not downright fraudulent.

You'll need to find out how much the rapacious buggers have charged you, why and when. Send them letter #1 from here and post up whatever drivel they send back.

You may also find it useful to email or otherwise contact the snollygoster who is your MP, and the lazy, lard-arsed louts who are your ward councillors. Find out who they are, at https://www.writetothem.com/

Comment

On top of asking for a breakdon of fees you also need the following:

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
      1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
      2 - the dates they were obtained
      3 - the addresses they were for
      4 - the period of time each covers
      5 - how much each one was for
      6 - how much is still outstanding
      7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
      8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have just been reading posts about visa chargeback and was thinking of going to the police station tomorrow to report the bailiff to get a crime refrence number then claiming the payment back through visa chargeback.

I am also going to report this bailiff he actually told me everything was above board! Ha

Comment

Lesson No 1

Bailiffs Lie

Lesson No 2

See Lesson 1

Comment

Very true. Im feeling very very stupid!

Because i had paid the debt in november i answered the door with confidence. I was prepared to pay for the first 2 visits

He totally blindsided me when he refused this and said he was still taking the car.

I have just started the ball rolling as you can report crimes to merseyside police online. Im hoping reporting this online will give me a crime refrence number easier than going to the police station.

Ill let you all know if this works.

Next will be my email to rossendales for a breakdown of visits and charges.

Then submit my chargeback claim as well as sending in the complaint to the council and the form 4

Comment

He even told me they had knocked £24 off the fees i feel really really stupid!

Comment

Then submit my chargeback claim
                Even if the charge-back is successful - and that's by no means certain, as some banks refuse to process a charge-back where their customer paid the money voluntarily even if under duress - he's likely to be back, with a car transporter (for which he'll demand you pay) and, this time, he'll only accept cash.

You'd be wiser to claim it from the council.

as well as sending in the complaint to the council
                And to your MP, elected ward councillors, the leader of the council and the leader of the opposition.

and the form 4
                NO - DO NOT DO THAT!!

Read the site notes on what the buggers do and how that will cost you thousands of quid. ----> link

Comment

Can i ask how he can take my car if the debt the liability order was for is paid? I thought he could not take my car to cover their costs?

Comment

Can i ask how he can take my car if the debt the liability order was for is paid? I thought he could not take my car to cover their costs?
                    I am afraid that is a possibility, depending on the value of your car, the extra costs of removing a car and selling at auction is at least another £500.
                    The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge View Post
                      I am afraid that is a possibility, depending on the value of your car, the extra costs of removing a car and selling at auction is at least another £500.
                      Quite.

It has always been thus. Was not Barabbas said to be a bailiff? (John 18:40 - link)

Comment

[QUOTE=CleverClogs;401816]Quite.

It has always been thus. Was not Barabbas said to be a bailiff? (John 18:40 - link)[/QUOTE]

So cruel, but so true. :grin:
                        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X