• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Threatening phone calls from Marston bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Threatening phone calls from Marston bailiffs

Nope no updates yet, haven't heard from him but I guess he'll probably pop round some time this week as he's probably been dreaming about that nice commission he'll recieve if he manages to get £300 from me lol

Comment

Lol I read on some website he cannot use a distress warrant in order to recover his own fees, only the debt owed to HMCS which has been all paid and cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by M786 View Post
        Lol I read on some website he cannot use a distress warrant in order to recover his own fees, only the debt owed to HMCS which has been all paid and cleared.
        See Post 9! Sadly those websites are wrong, and they run the risk of causing more serious problems for debtors.

Comment

Unfortunately you are correct. I've spoken to magistrates court and they told me the bailiff can use the distress warrant that was originally issued to him to recover their £90, to recover his fees even though the £90 debt was paid off. I also got a call from him saying if he doesn't get his money by tomorrow, then Thursday he's breaking in the house lol so I guess I'll be waiting for him on Thursday and see what he does

Comment

He'd be very foolish to break in. Could you answer Ploddertom's questiions from post 12 please - it could save you £300! :beagle:

Comment

Just to throw something in the mix - it is regarding council tax as opposed to magistrate fines but I wonder if it does work in the same manner - I realise HMCS have said the fee is clear but it may be more complex. Just came across it looking whether to FOI re stat demands (unrelatedly) so sorry if this gives you a pile more research.

(4) Where a step is taken for the recovery of an outstanding sum
              which is or forms part of an amount in respect of which a liability
              order has been made and under which additional costs or charges with
              respect to the step are also recoverable in accordance with this
              Part, any sum recovered thereby which is less than the aggregate of
              the amount outstanding and such additional costs and charges shall be
              treated as discharging first the costs and charges, the balance (if
              any) being applied towards the discharge of the outstanding sum.

Section 4 clearly states costs and charges should be paid first. As such
              any payment made to the Council will be utilised to clear the Bailiff
              Fees first, thus allowing action to continue for the balance of the debt
              remaining which is classified as Council Tax.
              from https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...#comment-24836 (there is more dicsussion on it)
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Well as far as I know I didn't recieve any warning letters prior to the debt being passed on to Marstons. However tomorrow I will be ringing HMCS up about this and ask them to prove to me if they really sent me a warning letter or not.
                and he's saying he will bring a locksmith with him and enter my property even if I'm not home.

Comment

Thanks for the link
                  Here's a link I've found and not sure whether to believe it's true or not.
                  http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk...s-Warrants.htm

Comment

@Amethyst - that's spot on for CT debts, but it doesn't work in the same way for Magistrates' Court Debts. The collection of fees for MCt debts, in particular the £300 comprising £85 admin and £215 attendance is very complex, which is why sites such as the one above don't understand them. They simplify it too much. If you want to know HOW the £300 is collectable for a MCt fine, let me know and I'll refer you to a really good read.
                    Last edited by Amethyst; 17th September 2013, 21:05:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                      What I was aking for previously is because if the Court have not followed procedure correctly then the Warrant must be withdrawn. No doubt if you ask the Court will tell you the Further Steps Notice was sent but you must then ask to which address it was sent and do they have proof it was put into the postal system - after all anyone can have a letter sitting on their computer but doesn't mean it was ever sent.
                      Hi ploddertom,

What standard of proof of postage is required?
                      Would it suffice to show the court that that they always send it appropriately; therefore this one case, in the balance of probabilities, would not be exception?
                      Last edited by charitynjw; 17th September 2013, 19:27:PM.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

If it was us, all that is required is proof of postage. I don't know if the same applies to them. :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                          Hi ploddertom,

What standard of proof of postage is required?
                          Would it suffice to show the court that that they always send it appropriately; therefore this one case, in the balance of probabilities, would not be exception?
                          Minimum is a Certificate of Posting at the point it enters the postal chain - usually when you hand a letter over the counter at a PO. For bulk posters it is usually a book that says x number of items were posted but not normally identified individually. Remember that if the boot is on the other foot then you have to provide proof - what is good for the gander etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                            What I was aking for previously is because if the Court have not followed procedure correctly then the Warrant must be withdrawn. No doubt if you ask the Court will tell you the Further Steps Notice was sent but you must then ask to which address it was sent and do they have proof it was put into the postal system - after all anyone can have a letter sitting on their computer but doesn't mean it was ever sent.
                            The OP broke a payment arrangement with Court, there is no need for the Court to issue a Further Steps Notice, because on the letter from the Court agreeing to a payment plan the further steps are listed at the bottom of such letter....unfortunately most defaulters do not read the whole thing!
                            Last edited by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge; 18th September 2013, 15:29:PM. Reason: carnt speal
                            The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X