• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

You can't ignore parking fines, can you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You can't ignore parking fines, can you?

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
    If you are watching the television "live" ie if he is watching catch up television then he is not breaking the law.
    Hang on, that doesn't make sense. Watching catch-up TV on iplayer is not watching it live.

But at no point does he attempt to explain that he doesn't watch actual TV channels and just watches programs on iplayer (which is totally legal, I know) but he's pretty much saying he has the right to watch television* and if they demand that he pays a TV licence he is not obliged to pay for it. That's what he seems to believe.

*NOT just watching DVDs or iplayer etc.

He sounds absolutely deluded!!
    Last edited by GO84; 19th April 2013, 16:50:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by busytrev View Post
      I'm also new to this forum so from a totally independent point of view you asked your question, received an answer and ALSO asserted "your opinion" . It appears to me that you already knew the answer you were looking for and have joined this forum either to wind people up or to hope that someone on here will incriminate them self with a comment or comments that you intend to use for another purpose.

Just my opinion :violin:
      Personally I disagree. It's a valid discussion to have in relation to whether or not the guy has a valid argument over parking fines which are given by the local council. I don't think Graham has come here to cause trouble but as I said, personally, I would ask the question on the pepipoo site because they are the experts on parking fines: http://forums.pepipoo.com/

They would have a take on this but I think his first post on there needs to simply ask the question whether this approach is really legal without the other stuff.
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by busytrev View Post
        It appears to me that you already knew the answer you were looking for
        As a matter of fact I was not 100% certain that I was right, because I have not studied law. But I had massive doubts that he was able to beat the system.

I am interested in this point. Has he ever been taken to court? Has he ever attended court? If Bailiffs were sent then was there actually a civil action taken against him? Is so has he ever sent in a defence to the court over that matter? Has he ever appeared in court?
        I do not know. Try watching the rest of his videos and reading all his comments on them.

Comment

GO84, you've come onto the forum expecting that the group mentality is to condemn someone who chooses to fight and appears to be successful in not paying for parking.
          Actually I hoped to find people with some expertise who could tell me if there's really any truth to what he's saying (common law/bill of rights etc. means you can ignore modern legislation) I thought he was sounding like a loony* but he kept saying he's read up on it (whether he understands it all, I'm not sure)

*Oh dear, I've been a bigot again. So sorry!

Comment

This is another thing he said in a reply to me which illustrates his beliefs:

[on parking on public property] But as a consequence, peoples rights are being abused for using the space without buying a ticket. The people parking there already own the property and pay for its upkeep. To have to pay again and be told that its the law, when it clearly isn't, is not only gross negligence and fraud, but immoral and predatory."

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              Serious comments like the blather you've posted?

But why, if you do not have any prejudice against ethnic minorities, did you accuse him of behaving "like a pikey"? (link)
              I drive a white van and have Romany cousins therefore I am a PIKEY and proud of it, so I think i will tip tarmac across his drive

Comment

You're on ignore too. I didn't come here to talk about pikeys.

Comment

Originally posted by GO84 View Post
                  I've put you on ignore.
                  And me I will then ignore you and like Parking Eye if they send me an unenforceable invoice I will ignore some more

Comment

Well, not really. I notice you still decline to say whether you have any legal training. I don't have to know but if you said yes it would make me take your answers more seriously (as long as you weren't lying which I should hope you aren't) Why would someone who was qualified say they weren't? What's the point of that?

Anyway, this was the exchange between us on this subject (the order of comments may seem confusing, because he kept blocking and unblocking me and some comments were lost):

Him: (this follows on from some previous discussion) I have no contractual obligation to abide by the rules in that legislation as it was not mentioned when I signed for my driving licence.
                    If I was working for a company delivering goods wot not, engaged in commerce, I would have to abide by that, as any registered business has to abide by the local authority rules. I am a flesh and blood man, and local aurthority have to use contracts to gain aurthority over man.
                    Man is number 2 in the pecking order next to god, or the universe what ever you want to call it. The state is number 3 in the pecking order as man created the state to serve.

Until you infringe on anyone else's rights, no one has any jurisdiction over you. Just look at the amazing success people are having with tv licensing, using the very same technique.

The crowd go wild

Me: Is it really worth it? Just to avoid paying a few quid? [this is more about the parking charge issue]

No TV licence, no BBC. If you really object to the TV licence, don't pay it, don't plug an aerial into your TV, don't watch programming that you haven't contributed to.

Him: Of course it's worth it, it's very fulfilling and exciting.

I will watch tv if I like, if they want to send me services I didn't ask for, that's up to them, but don't force me to pay for it, like hello?
                    They could at least encrypt there programme's like sky do, but no, they send the signal and then say I have to pay for it.

That puts me under duress.

Soooooooooo!!!,

Next

Me: Why don't they encrypt the signal? Probably because until recently it was analog, not digital.

Me: You make it sound like they're trying to deceive people, but everyone knows you are required to pay the licence fee if you watch TV.

Him: No no no, absolutely wrong. The licence fee is for live broadcasts from the bbc. Nothing to do with watching itv, or sky. Have you actually read the legislation? Prolly not, else you would know this.
                    He is actually wrong on the bit in bold here. The licence is for the receiver and under "The Communications(Television Licencing) Regulations 2004 Regulation 9 part 2: "(2) In this regulation, any reference to receiving a television programme service includes a reference to receiving by any means any programme included in that service, where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public by virtue of its being broadcast or distributed as part of that service.
                    There is no mention of BBC live broadcasts but there is to the BBC being the relevant authority that actually issue the licence for the receiver.
                    And also, you said "required", which is not an order, it is a request, and by law, you don't have to obey a request.

Soooooooooo!

Next

(After this I sent brief replies trying to reiterate the difference between owning a television and actually watching television but they were lost)

Him: You don't need a licence to watch tv, the licence is for live broadcasts, let me repeat that..... LIVE BROADCASTS.

You have not clarified with HIM as to what he understands by the term "LIVE BROADCASTS". But I have defined it as above on the basis that he is wrong in that definition.
                    Him: You don't need a licence to watch DVDs

Like hello?

This is why I blocked you, because you say things without actually knowing if its true

Him: Yes it is, if I watch a DVD, I am watch it on a device called a television.

Sorry mate. You obviously haven't read the act

See ya
                    I do not disagree with him on this specific point. The legislation is here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/contents
                    The section you need is from section 363 onwards plus the regulations: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made
                    Me: But you are not ordered to watch TV. You choose to.

Him: Television (TV) is a telecommunication medium for transmitting and receiving moving images that can be monochrome (black-and-white) or colored, with or without accompanying sound. "Television" may also refer specifically to a television set, television programming, or television transmission
                    The definition of a television is not defined in the act but television receiver is, television set is, and television dealer. The word television is the shortened version of Television set and is defined in the act.

Me: That is what I meant by watching television. When you watch a DVD that's not "watching television"

I then replied saying watching a DVD was just using a television, not watching television, but then he blocked me again. I am not stupid, when I say you need to pay a licence fee to watch TV in Britain, I know this does not mean you need a licence just to posess a television and switch it on, only if you plug the aerial in and receive the channels. He seemed to fail to grasp this distinction I was making.
                    What you have then said I agree with. I have gone through this minutely over the last 30 minutes or so. I will now go back to other posts and respond to them.

Comment

• Re: You can't ignore parking fines, can you?

You're on ignore too. I didn't come here to talk about pikeys.
                      neither did I but they are a minority who are lambasted and vilified. Now I will wedi mynd I mewn brisio!
                      Last edited by bizzybob; 19th April 2013, 17:34:PM.

Comment

As a matter of fact I was not 100% certain that I was right, because I have not studied law. But I had massive doubts that he was able to beat the system.

I do not know. Try watching the rest of his videos and reading all his comments on them.
                        I thought you had already done that . Does that mean I have to do that?

Comment

What you have then said I agree with. I have gone through this minutely over the last 30 minutes or so.
                          Thank you! I do appreciate that.

I thought you had already done that . Does that mean I have to do that?
                          That is entirely up to you.

Comment

Actually I hoped to find people with some expertise who could tell me if there's really any truth to what he's saying (common law/bill of rights etc. means you can ignore modern legislation) I thought he was sounding like a loony* but he kept saying he's read up on it (whether he understands it all, I'm not sure)

*Oh dear, I've been a bigot again. So sorry!
                            Celestine has given her opinion early on in this thread. She is legally trained and worked for the council for a number of years. Let me be honest, if we all took the same approach as the guy from youtube then they might take more action but because of the time consuming manner of his responses then it is better to move onto people that will pay and do pay which is why when he uses the arguments he does, it is easier to leave him in peace than to pursue him. He is not committing a criminal offence and he is not committing a civil offence. You might want to wait across the road from the butchers he visits weekly and smash he rear light which is a road traffic offence but he's not really causing a nuisance apart from the people attempting to collect a civil fine.

Comment

Thank you! I do appreciate that.

That is entirely up to you.
                              it was a rhetorical question because clearly I'm not going to do that. I want my sanity and I could be searching and cross checking overnight. This thread has so far cost me the second half of the IPL game today

Comment

Oh, sorry.

He is not committing a criminal offence and he is not committing a civil offence.
                                I'm a bit confused here because I thought it was said that it he may not be committing a criminal offence but it was a civil offence.

I think it's OK if he wants to nip into the butcher's for a few minutes and doesn't really want to pay for this if he can get away with it (though if it was me I would have paying after the first ticket) But from he was saying it sounded like he refused to pay for any public parking space.

I've watched a few of his other videos. In one he's talking about filtering his water because of the fluoride (understandable) another shows him refusing to fill in the census, another shows him filming a local council meeting and getting quite defensive when they take umbrage at this, another shows him refusing to stop filming police officers who visit his house (again getting pretty defensive) That kind of thing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X