• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Basic procedure for collection of Council Tax arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basic procedure for collection of Council Tax arrears

Originally posted by webboc View Post
    Thanks Amy, I will confirm that the charges have been added to my account and hen I will challenge them.
    They will lie to you. Send them a Subject Access Request Bailiff - SAR - Legal Beagles

Comment

The council also claimed that the bailiff could seize the car under the law case of Observer ltd v Gordon. I find this whole matter awful as my mum requires her car as she suffers from a life threatening disease. Could the bailiff seize my mums car without any notice and/or agreement?
      Hi Ellis27

Thanks for your contribution. It states that the "bailiff has reasonable belief that the goods that he lists on a Walking Possession are owned by you." The bailiff put my mum's car details on the inventory part of the form, scribbled out the walking possession agreement part, signed and dated it and pushed it through my letter box whilst we were out. When does this agreement become an agreement as neither my mum or I signed it and what belief did he have that it was my car other than some invented story he claims to have got from my neighbour? Does this mean a bailiff can seize all the cars in a street because he has reasonable belief that one may belong to the debtor? I am confused.
      Since the Council seem to like quoting caselaw at you, inform them - in writing - that posting a Walking Possession Order through the door is unlawful.

According to both Davidson v Roach [1991] and Evans v South Ribble Borough Council [1991], the latter being a Court of Appeal case, the Walking Possession Order was found to be invalid.

You should also inform them that they are equally liable and culpable for the actions of their agents and that you reserve the right to name them as joint defendants in any action you may consider for the unlawful actions of their agents and further, you intend to refer this matter to the Local Government Ombudsman on grounds of maladministration, misfeasance and/or malfeasance in public office regarding the council’s flawed procedures and failure to control its agent.

Comment

Hi Cetelco

Many thanks for your help. So in essence the bailiff would be duty bound by law to:
        • gain entry into my home
        • seize goods (including a car)
        • secure the goods

Therefore, the bailiff cannot:
        • carry out an external inspection of my home
        • seize a car parked outside my home
        • post a drafted walking possession agreement through my letterbox in my absence
        • levy distress on the seized car

I truly appreciate everyone's help and will now seek legal redress against the council and bailiff.

Comment

You really need to read and understand the guide given by Tuttsi on post #3.

Comment

Hi Amy

Do you mean by way of taking legal redress against the bailiff using Form 4 or I am missing something else?

Thanks

Comment

Not specifically. I just wondered if you had read the whole guide as it will answer a lot of your questions.

Comment

Hi Amy

Would you not agree with the advice from Cetelco and in particular the 2 case laws?

I don't wont to go "half cocked".

Thanks

Comment

Hi Amy

Would you not agree with the advice from Cetelco and in particular the 2 case laws?

I don't wont to go "half cocked".

Thanks
                  Of course I agree with him, it's excellent advice as always. However, I am confused by your bullet point list in your post #18.

Although technically correct, in reality it is a bit more involved. Your list is quite simplistic and I was just checking you have understood fully.

Comment

Many thanks Amy - I appreciate that there is more to my simple account of things.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X