• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dodgy builder requesting judgment to be set aside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy builder requesting judgment to be set aside

We took our builder to court, he did not defend himself therefore we asked judge to make a judgment we won by default, the builder has now asked for judgment to be set aside we have been waiting for 16 days to hear back from the courts. How long does it take for the judge to make a decision? Would he need to send in proof as to why he did not respond? Is it easy to have a judgement set aside?
    Tags: None

Hi BEECHDRIVE

He needs to fill in N244 (he pays a fee), the form does ask for a reason why the Judgement should be set aside.
    As for timings, it depends how busy the courts / Judge are.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ication-notice

Comment

He won't just get a judgement set aside, assuming you served the paperwork to the correct address then he's going to have to come up with a very good reason for set aside.

Unfortunately if he has filed an application to set aside you can't commence enforcement as a judge wouldn't grant any warrants or writs until that application is heard.

If he doesn't get it set aside, if I were you I would write to him enclosing a copy of the judgement giving him 14 days to settle it or else you'll apply for a warrant or writ (if the debt is over £600) of control meaning the bailiffs of high court enforcement officers (if a writ) will enforce the judgement because it appears he's not going to pay willingly.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X