• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

financial dificulty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• financial dificulty

Hi All,
    Just looking for some advise really. My brother called me up to say that he was really struggling with his debts. To cut a long story short i find out he's in around £15,000 of credit card and loan debt as well as other various debts including a HMRC debt and his left with very little money at the end of a month, he's got a baby on the way to so i just want to try and help him.

Where does he stand with asking his creditors to change payment dates/reduce minimum payments? would it acceptable to write to his creditors to ask for some help in the short term whilst he sorts his financial situation and as soon as he gets in a better position he can start to pay a bigger chunk of his debt to start o get it down. i'd be happy to help him contact the creditors he owes money to but if we write to them will they listen and be willing to help the situation without making it worse?

He has not defaulted on any of his debts but has started missing payments, even having to choose which ones he can afford to pay each month soon to be in a position where he will eventually default on some of his debts just because of the interest rates and the high minimum payments on each debt.

Any advise would be really appreciated

Signify
    Tags: None

Re: financial dificulty

He could do all the talking to his creditors himself (or you could help) but it's best if he gets a debt advisor to look at his whole situation. I suggest he calls National Debtline about his options https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/Pages/default.aspx.

Any form of debt solution is likely to involve getting defaults, but that can't be helped. If he doesn't have enough money to make the minimum payments, then he either has to default or borrow more / not pay some essential bills. But this "robbing Peter to pay Paul" can't go forever and means that he will have a worsening situation every month.

Comment

I didn't think defaulting would be an option but i suppose if he can't even make the minimums its only a matter of time? But it best to write to the creditors to admit defeat, send a budgeting sheet and offer the most that can be afforded?

Thanks

Comment

As Debt Camel said, it's probably much better to have a debt adviser do it for him because they can ensure he's not offering more than he should/needs to offer.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X