• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWP taking money i DONT owe ....Help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP taking money i DONT owe ....Help!!

I really need someones help here, DWP have an attachment of earnings on my salary for a debt i DONT owe... Cut a long story short, I got divorced from my first wife back in 2004 on the grounds that she committed credit card fraud (on family members) she also claimed benefits while I was actually in full time employment by forging my signature and obviously without my knowledge. She was caught and pleaded guilty to all charges of fraud (totalling almost 30k) she did not get a custodial sentence as we had young children at the time.

Now 12 years later the DWP are now taking money from MY salary for a debt of 16k that SHE was found guilty of obtaining fraudulently .. I have spoken to them on many occasions until Im blue in the face, Ive even told them the Magistrates court that dealt with her case and also the name of the arresting detective and told them to check but thay are not willing too. they just cant be bothered!!! I really need advice on how to get this attachment of earnings STOPPED. I have seen NO court order giving them permission to take it from me just letters they have sent over the last 2 years for which I have wrote to them explaining I dont owe them money, then the letter saying that they had contacted my employer and instructed them to take it from my salary and they have been taking it every month for the past 3 months.

Can anyone advise please
    Tags: None

Re: DWP taking money i DONT owe ....Help!!

Good evening welcome to LB,

The DWP does not need to apply to a court for an AOE they have the authority to issue this directly.
    One approach that works in this kind of situation is to involve your MP put your case send him/her copies of all the evidence you have.

At what civil service level have you been writing/speaking to?

nem.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
      Good evening welcome to LB,

The DWP does not need to apply to a court for an AOE they have the authority to issue this directly.
      One approach that works in this kind of situation is to involve your MP put your case send him/her copies of all the evidence you have.

At what civil service level have you been writing/speaking to?

nem.

Hi. Thank you for replying to my post.. As for your question, Firstly though I have no evidence as in paperwork myself as obviously I had already left the marital house before she went to court because the main reason that started all this is she committed adultery, the fraud only came out once I had been gone a few weeks. I do have information with regards to the arresting officer etc as this was given to my mother and sister (the people who she got credit cards in their name) and I told the DWP i could provide that to them but they wasnt interested. The correspondence with the DWP that ive had hasnt been sent to any particular person, its either been sent directly to the "complaints" or if communication by telephone then its just been the standard number on the letter they send. may be customer line

Comment

Originally posted by richard1964 View Post
        Hi. Thank you for replying to my post.. As for your question, Firstly though I have no evidence as in paperwork myself as obviously I had already left the marital house before she went to court because the main reason that started all this is she committed adultery, the fraud only came out once I had been gone a few weeks. I do have information with regards to the arresting officer etc as this was given to my mother and sister (the people who she got credit cards in their name) and I told the DWP i could provide that to them but they wasnt interested. The correspondence with the DWP that ive had hasnt been sent to any particular person, its either been sent directly to the "complaints" or if communication by telephone then its just been the standard number on the letter they send. may be customer line
        Hello Richard,

After reading the above I believe even more that involving your MP is the way forward.

The (un) civil servants have a clearly fixed opinion on your case/liability . Your MP will be able to ask the Secretary Of State for the DWP to look at your case and intervene if necessary.

nem

Comment

Hi, It did get me thinking when you mentioned my local MP, i never thought of that and too be honest I couldn't believe the "Dont want to know" attitude of the DWP. its so frustrating when I know that I dont owe it.
          Thanks for your help, I will contact my local MP and will post an update when I get somewhere,

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi, It did get me thinking when you mentioned my local MP, i never thought of that and too be honest I couldn't believe the "Dont want to know" attitude of the DWP. its so frustrating when I know that I dont owe it.
            Thanks for your help, I will contact my local MP and will post an update when I get somewhere,

Thanks again.
            You're most welcome! Please do not hesitate to come back if you need us and please keep us posted on the outcome.

Good luck !!

nem

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again.
            You're most welcome! Please do not hesitate to come back if you need us and please keep us posted on the outcome.

Good luck !!

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X