• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DCB Legal - Claim Form - Defence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCB Legal - Claim Form - Defence

DCB have sent a claim form to me about a parking charge from March 2020.
    I have written the following defence.

Firstly, I would inform you that the driver of the vehicle (Reg
    Number xxx xxx) on the date and time in question did not actually
    park the vehicle at the location detailed on the claim form. The
    driver of the vehicle entered the location detailed on the claim
    form, however they did not actually stop to park the vehicle. I
    would also add that if the driver of the vehicle did intend to
    park the vehicle, they would not have been able to as the location
    did not have a convenient car parking space for the driver of the
    vehicle.

Secondly, I received the following letters in relation to the
    claim. Dates given are dates on the letter and not the dates that
    I received the letters.

Date: 16th June 2023 – Letter from ZZPS Ltd informing me that I
    have a debt of £170 to be paid or an arrangement put in place
    within 14 days or the debt will progress to GCTT certified
    enforcement agent.

Date 26th June 2023 – Letter from GCTT informing me of a notice of
    transfer to solicitors. I am advised that unless payment is
    received in full within 14 days of the date of the letter, the
    account will be sent to a solicitor.

Please note. The letter from GCTT (Dated 26th June 2023) was
    received 10 days after the letter from ZZPS (dated 16th June
    2023). They did not give me the allocated time of 14 days to agree
    payment or a put an arrangement in place.

Date 07th July 2023 – Letter from QDR solicitors received asking
    me to make payment of the debt within 14 days.

Please note. The letter from QDR solicitors (Dated 07th July 2023)
    was received 11 days after the letter from GCTT (dated 26th June
    2023). They did not give me the allocated time of 14 days to agree
    payment.

I am therefore disputing this claim based on the details given
    above.

My question is. Does anyone consider this a valid defence in court?
    Tags: None

it is a defence, bur whether or not a judge will find in your favour is another matter.

the first paragraph contains elements of a defence, the remainder is superfluous.

what is date of issue of claim?
    have you acknowledged it?
    when is your defence due in?
    have you sent a CPR31.14 to the solicitors?
    Have you sent a Subject Access Request to the parking company?

FYI . GCTT is just a trading name of Gary Osner's ZZPS,

If you could post up redacted copies of the claim form and the original notice to keeper, and also photos of the signs at the car park, we could perhaps assist you, but be aware that the outcome is always a bit of a lottery

Comment

Hi. Thank you for your reply.
      I can confirm the following
      what is date of issue of claim? 28th Aug 2024

have you acknowledged it? Yes on 09th September requesting an additional 2 weeks to put my defence together.

when is your defence due in? I have already sent my defence in on 16th September. I have since received the following reply.
      Having reviewed the content of your defence, we write to inform you that our client intends to proceed with the claim.

In due course, the Court will direct both parties to each file a directions questionnaire. In preparation for that, please find attached a copy of the Claimant's, which we confirm has been filed with the Court.

Without Prejudice to the above, in order to assist the Court in achieving its overriding objective, our client may be prepared to settle this case - in the event you wish to discuss settlement, please call us on 0203 434 0433 within 7 days and make immediate reference to this correspondence.

If you have provided an email address within your Defence, we intend to use it for service of documents (usually in PDF format) hereon in pursuant to PD 6A (4.1)(2)(c). Please advise whether there are any limitations to this (for example, the format in which documents are to be sent and the maximum size of attachments that may be received). Unless you advise otherwise, we will assume not.

have you sent a CPR31.14 to the solicitors? No. I am not sure what this is.

Have you sent a Subject Access Request to the parking company? No. I am not familiar with this.

Comment

As you have already served a defence you can't amend it without either the agreement of the claimant (unlikely to be given) or permission of the court (an application will cost £244 so probably not worth applying)

Assume the original parking charge notice showed how long the vehicle was in the car park, so in your witness statement you will need to indicate a reason for the fifteen minute stay. Car park operators are meant to operate a "consideration period" to allow motorists time to decide whether or not to park. That period is normally about 5 minutes.

At the end of the trial, if you have lost remind the judge (politely!) that the claim has been overinflated.

If you have lost as the registered keeper refer the judge to Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Sch 4 para 4 (5) which
        ​​​ provides that the maximum amount which may be recovered from the registered keeper is the total amount of the unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to the registered keeper.

If you have lost as the driver refer the judge to Parking Eye vs Beavis ([2015] UKSC 67. Case ID. UKSC 2015/0116. the Supreme Court found the parking charge (£85) was a genuine estimate of the costs of operating the parking scheme including losses suffered by the operator if its terms and conditions were not complied with (see paras 188 and 193 of the judgment).In other words they shouldn't add on recovery costs described on the signs (probably) as unspecified additional
        charges.

Those points could have been made in your defence and might have had the court strike the claim in its entirety, but you ae where you ae.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X