• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Friend loans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend loans

Hello.
    I loaned a friend money while trusting him being able to pay back, but now i am being ripped off.
    Without any proof and legal binding other than some account transfers between banks, but without the reasoning being in those transactions, and mentions of loans, is there any action i can take that will actually value my time and chance to get the money back ? I basically have no proof. Help !

Thank you !
    Tags: None

Are you sure you have no proof? What about text/WhatsApp messages etc?

Is your former friend able to repay you?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Well there are only some of the bank transactions, that like i said dont provide any loan proof in the descriptions of the transactions, so to the naked eye it seems like just simple transaction. We do have some Whatsapp messages, but he never really stated that ''yes i will return the loan'', the chat simply went like casual chat.

Comment

The chat that simply went like casual chat may nevertheless contain references to the loan or having borrowed money. Does it? Or were you discussing Spurs' last game?

And can he repay?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I think he is without a job so he cant really repay me even if he wanted to i suppose.
          I have the chats but scrolling through them it never concrete mentions that ''ye i will repay you the money'' and such. + he keeps bringing up that i did not do a good job taking track of the money he borrowed, like i dont have receipts and stuff, which is sadly true. Sometimes when i said in chats ''ok here is the money'' and he said ''okey thanks for hte money'' etc, not like loan mentions. :/

Comment

You appear to have something, including that he admits having borrowed - and a friend who isn't repaying because he's broke. Have you asked him what he can pay?

Comment

He said he wont pay me so i decided to seek legal action, but searching online im starting to take in the result, that without enough proof i cant do stuff to him.

Comment

How much does he owe you in all?

Here's a thought. If he really has no income and no assets to speak of taking him to court now might be a pointless exercise anyway. Good money after bad. What if instead you contacted him and said you understood his position and wanted to agree a repayment plan when he had a job again?

You have time to bring a claim in the future before it is statute barred but more usefully that might get an acknowledgement of debt out of him.
                ​​
                All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I lent someone money based on a verbal contract, absolutely nothing in writing and the bank statements had the reference 'shopping' on them.

Never underestimate someone trying to wriggle out of paying something to do something stupid to try to avoid the debt and actually admit it.

However, if the friend has no job (assume in receipt of benefits) and nothing to enforce a judgement against (assets for a bailiff or HCEO to remove) then all a claim will serve to do is provide you with an expensive piece of paper even if you succeed.

I would approach this with a view to realistically obtaining repayment, so I would say to the friend that you have lent them an amount of money that to you is quite a lot and it does need to be repaid, but you recognise their financial position right now.

Suggest that you both agree that they shouldn't pay anything until they get a new job and so that you both don't have to discuss it any further that you write down what is owed, how much they'll pay when they get a job and when the payments will start.

I'd suggest commencing when they receive their second salary payment from their new job because they should get to enjoy having the fruits of their labour for their first pay. Now you might think I'm being too kind, but you're trying to get a friend to sign something that acknowledges a debt, so you need to sell this to them as you doing them as much of a favour as you can.

COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X