• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Accident with Pizza Delivery Moped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident with Pizza Delivery Moped

Hi all, hope you're well. Yesterday i had a small traffic accident and am wondering wjat to do.
    i was waiting in a long static queue of traffic and decided to turn around and try a different route. I checked my wing mirrors - it was a small van with solid rear doors so no centre rear-view mirror - saw nothing behind, reversed about 6 inches and heard a crunch. There was a moped right behind me, so close that I couldnt see him.

There was superficial damage to my van and the moped's front mudguard was missing a chunk but was still intact.

The guy didnt speak english so he called the owner of the moped, I gave him my number and asked him to call me later so that we could sort things out.

He didnt call but i got a call from a claims handling company this morning. Since a new mudguard cant be very expensive it seems like overkill to get one of these ambulance chaser lawyers involved.

Im wondering what my options are: am i in the wrong for not seeing the moped?

Tks in advance for any help.
    ADD
    Tags: None

Did you take pictures of the damaged moped?

It's best to pass the details to your insurance company, let them deal with it. What you need to do is gather evidence. Any CCTV locally?

It might be a accident scam and you are the victim (I don't know this, but it sounds very fishy, on a claims handling company ringing up first thing).

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...ed-scam-watch/

Comment

A claim handling company may well be ambulance chasing, but it sure as hell is not a law firm.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
        Did you take pictures of the damaged moped?
        I took video of the scene, bike, van, him.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          A claim handling company may well be ambulance chasing, but it sure as hell is not a law firm.
          Aaah, so its similar to DCA - has no power at all. Ar first i thought he was a scammer but then he spouted details so i just said "are you talking about the moped that ran into the back of me?". He replied that all calls are recorded for evidence, I told him he should have mentioned that at the start and that he should call me lawyer (I dont have a lawyer) and he just hung up.

Comment

According to your first post you reversed into the moped while endeavouring to exit a queue of traffic to take a different route although your van had no side or rear windows so you couldn't see if a moped was in a blind spot close to the back of your vehicle. So you are likely to be responsible for the accident.

A key bit of evidence that your video won't, presumably, show is how far behind your van the moped was when you started reversing. You say 6 inches. What's the betting the moped driver disagrees?
            ​​​​​
            Last edited by PallasAthena; 17th November 2023, 07:38:AM.
            All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

As echat11 do not delay advising your insurers of a possible claim.

Any communications you receive should be referred to your insurers
              You should not discuss the matter with the third party or their claims management and certainly not admit to reversing into anything.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X