• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Garden shed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden shed

Good afternoon.
    I'm new here and not certain where to post for advice.
    Briefly, I've employed a builder to build a garden gym. Essentially a large shed structure with high specifications (insulation, under floor heating, double glazed French doors etc)
    Work began in Nov 2020
    It was estimated to take 2 to 4 weeks but covid and lockdown slowed the progress.
    Deposit payment was made in October. A further payment in November and a penultimate payment in December (final payment to be made on completion). A total of £17,000 has been paid!
    As the new year started the work stopped. Blaming the weather, the time of year, family difficulties, covid, lockdown, manufacturing delays, delivery delays, closed factories... Etc etc. I waited patiently for work outside to resume. Other work by other contractors (interior major building work and garden remodelling and 2 areas of new roof) continued despite Covid. But the work on my husbands gym stopped.
    When I noticed the half finished structure was leaking on the inside and that the roof was starting to sag they sent a couple guys round to 'tackle' it. They wedged a temporary plank under the sag! I had a couple of different builders take a look at the structure and they were horrified at the poor quality. They both (independently) declared it unsafe as the slate roof was sagging perilously under the excess weight of slate tiles and the roof trusses to weak to support slate! (I'd agreed to have artificial tiles but the builder claimed he couldn't get them so installed reclaimed slates instead).
    I've paid an electrical company to have the electrics made safe as I was so worried about that. I've messaged, called and chased the father/son to get the build finished but they are blaming all of the above. There have been umpteen occasions where I've been told goods and building items have been ordered then a month later told those things have not been ordered!
    ​​​​I've asked if they could please be finished by 28th May. They have not agreed! I am paying for storage for the gym equipment while waiting for this structure to be completed and I'm feeling exhausted with the stress of it.
    Is there anything I can I do?
    Hope I'm OK to post this.
    Tags: None

You need to take advantage of your rights under the Consumer Contract Rights 2015 and tell the builder that if he doesn't complete the work to a reasonable standard & soon you will be suing him for all your losses, including storage charges incurred because of his dilatoriness.

Is the culprit a Ltd Company or an individual "tradesman"
    Before you start actually initiating court action make sure they have sufficient assets to pay when you win. No point suing someone who has no assets!

Comment

Thank you! He is not a Ltd company but he does have personal assets! However, I called by his showroom and worksop yesterday and found it locked, closed down and (even though all his things were still there) security company signs were all over the walls. He'd been there for 30 years! So he's obviously gone out of business - not that he's let me know! Now I don't know his address for correspondence!
      I'm at a loss!
      Should I go to a solicitor?
      Thank you
      S

Comment

So search for his private address!
        Try neighbouring shops, social media, 192.com for starters.
        Do other contractors who worked on site know his address?
        Ask people who have supplied him with goods?

Comment

I wouldn't involve a solicitor, this is a debt recovery matter really now and a solicitor will only end up costing you more money. Calculate the amount you believe to be outstanding and send a written final demand, also send by email if possible. If the company is going under, at least you may then have a claim with his insolvency practitioner, however sadly, your build is likely to be one of many clients with unfinished work and he has probably also got debts with suppliers, HMRC etc. If he has assets though, then you may be in with a chance of getting something back, but it's unlikely to be a fast process.
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X