• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Verbally abused by supermarket employee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verbally abused by supermarket employee

At the end of February I went into my local supermarket (one of the big five) I have been shopping there regularly for the last 8 years.

This was a Friday at about 5.30pm and was very busy. It is a large supermarket.

I placed my food items on the conveyor belt. There was an elderly couple in front of me and a customer behind me. As there were no dividers I took one from an adjacent empty till and placed it in front of my goods to separate my shopping from the customers.
    The cashier saw me do this and in a raised voice she said "put that back, there are too many people touching it" I was a bit shocked and put the divider back onto the empty till. She was still serving the couple in front of me and then she shouted at me "step back, you are invading my space and you are not socially distancing" She then stared at me. I moved one step back.. There is the one meter rule in place. She was sitting behind the screen wearing a face mask, the couple in front of me were wearing a mask, I was wearing a face mask and was standing well over a meter.

Anyhow, I was really annoyed with her by this time. She was still staring at me and the customer in front of me was paying by card.
    I stood at the till and then in a raised voice I said "You have a very bad attitude and I am not happy at the way you have been speaking to me" She got even more angry. She then asked the couple in front of me "you have witnessed this, can I have your names" She grabbed a piece of paper and they willingly gave their names.
    I then told this cashier. I would like to speak to the manager and I want your name. She put my food through the till and did not give me my change. Well, she apologised for not giving me my change but not for her barking orders at me in front of a shop full of customers.

A member of staff turned up who looked about 16. I asked if he was the manager and he replied "no I am a supervisor" I asked him to call the manager.
    A female shop assistant then turned up and asked this cashier if she wanted to take a break which basically translated that she was the victim and I was the nasty customer verbally abusing the cashier when it was quite clear it was the complete.opposite.

I was then told to wait for the manager by the main entrance. The so called manager turned up. I asked him if he was the manager and he replied "sort of" He was wearing the supermarket uniform so I basically had dumb and dumber dealing with my complaint!!!

I explained what had happened and he asked for my phone number. I had to repeat it 3 times and he was still unable to manage writing a phone number. He didn't even ask for my name.

Anyhow I got into my car, shaking and crying. I was just so shaken up.
    I got home, still crying and phoned a friend to tell her what had happened.

So to cut a long story short, I have been sending both e mails and letters to the CEO and the store manager over the last 6 weeks and with a 2 week silence from them. they have concluded that my statement of events did not match up with theirs and they have now closed my complaint.
    So, I am no longer shopping in this supermarket. (since the 26th February) and I have told the CEOs office that my complaint is still very much active. I have reported this incident to Trading Standards and I'm waiting to hear from them.
    I have been so upset with this, and I need to take this matter one step forward. and go down the legal route. Any legal advice is very much appreciate.

Tags: None

What is it that you are wanting to claim if you go down the legal route?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I am just needing legal advice as to how I move forward.
      i haven't heard back yet from Trading Standards.
      This supermarket has basically said that my account of this incident differs from their account so I am pretty mad and very upset.

Comment

I can understand you are upset and angry as you feel you were badly treated.
        You were spoken to sharply, and in your opinion that was rude and uncalled for.
        You admit to raising your voice, so there was some sort of altercation.
        However that is not sufficient for any civil claim (this is not the USofA), so before we could give you any pointers to a way forward we would need to know for what outcome you hope.

I regret to say that IMO the most you would obtain is an apology from the store, but even that is unlikely

Comment

Thanks for the info and taking the time to reply.
          The store will not apologise. They are basically protecting their employees. There was no duty manager there at the time.

If someone is barking orders at me I am not going to stand there and say nothing! This cashier was totally in the wrong and the store knows this. If I was a pensioner or male she would not have spoken to me in that manner.
          i will go down the Trading standards route to see what they advise.

I was so upset and shaken up by this incident.

Comment

I have just done some digging about this employee and it seems she has Huntingdons which will explain her angry outbursts. She didn't give me my change and seemed really confused.
            I will just let Trading Stsndards know when I speak to them next week.

Comment

Please let this go. Times are very stressful for everybody. I am surprised that she was at work with her condition. Her concerns about Covid safety are understandable. None of us are always perfect.
              I am surprised you feel entitled to pry into someone's background and introduce it to Trading standards.
              Always try to see things from the other persons perspective.

Comment

unfortunately the company if known condition are at fault as the location of said member staff is critical to their own well being and that of their customers, if they were not informed of a medical condition then the staff member should be assigned a different no customer area job, , has the company complaints system been started by you?

Comment

I contacted Trading Standards to say that I will not be pursuing my complaint of this employee.

Of course I understand that we are all going through a very stressful time along with another 7 billion people.

As regards the Covid point, this cashier was sitting behind a perspex screen, was wearing a fàce mask aswell as myself and other customers and I think we are all aware of the 2 meters distance.

It took me one minute using google to find out that this employee has admitted to having Huntingdon's Disease on social media.

There is no cure for it and it is terminal.
                  A relative's friend and his son both had it and sadly took their own lives

It is really up to the supermarket what their next move is.

I emailed them to say that I hope she gets the help she needs. It appeares that from reading between the lines they know she has Huntington's Disease.
                  As far as I am concered this matter has been put to bed.

Comment

I was not prying into someone's background and certainly did not share it with Trading standards.
                    If someone on Twitter, Facebook or instangram volunteers their own personal information stating that they have a disease or disorder then it is out there for the whole world to see. If they don't want anyone to know personal information then they should not be on social media in the first place sharing personal information.

Comment

Pleased to hear you are no longer pursuing this matter. IMO a wise decision.
                      Thank you for letting us know.

Comment

Thanks for your post. I have often posted a forum only gives a limited perspective. Sorry to hear about your relatives. I have strong feelings about anti social media which I believe does more harm than good. Your comment is right.
                        Best Wishes

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X