• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Been caught shoplifting and paid for the items at the end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shoplifted from boots. Some skincare products worth under 200 pounds. Security guard told me police coming because you been here before (which I never have or shoplifted ) so after 3 hours he told me will you pay and paid but they didn't provide me receipt when I asked they refused. So I left the store in panic they didn't made me sign anything at the time

Comment

Unless you have been caught by the Police before. Its unlikely you will be provided with more than a caution. which will stay on record so if another criminal offence is made you wont get a second chance.

Comment

No involvement before. Never shoplifted before as mentioned before. How caution works I don't know will they come to my door or by post

Comment

And is confidential because if my husband find out what I or my mum in law my marriage will end.

Comment

Absolutely right Foadski. People using the forum who appear to want to judge rather than help need calling out. Agree with others who show humanity.

Comment

I assume they took your photo and banned you from the store?

That will be the end of the matter. the police will not have been informed the security were just trying to scare you.

Comment

I did pay by my visa card

Comment

ENGLAND P1 no photo been taken just told me police is coming and at end told me will you pay so I paid. But they have my CCTV do they still take photos? Sorry I'm just to scared even if home phone rings I get goosebumps

Comment

You have been very lucky Just don't do it again it's not worth all the worry. Good luck to you.

Comment

Never in my life thanks everyone.

Comment

I have provided staff for a national retailer with similar policies to boots (with one being that no one gets detained for longer than 45 monutes and if the police don't come you get released, so several hours is pretty interesting).

Shoplifting under £50 is not dealt with by police and if reported is filed. If it's over £50 then it is normally incumbent on the police to follow it up IF the store reported the crime, and they normally will do however tedious that might seem to the bobby who has to deal with it .

Given that you paid for the items, although it is still a theft, it seems very very unlikely that the store will have reported the crime details and even less likely that if they have that the police will do anything. That's based more on my experience of retail security and the police response than being a retired cop, but policy varies from area to area no doubt.

Stop panicking and get on with your life would be my advice. If the police are coming to speak to you then they will whether you panic or not if they know who you are and where you live. If you didn't leave personal details it is unlikely that they will obtain your address even though you paid by card.

Comment

I really appreciate that. Boots sent me ban letter through post so definitely they have my address. Some time I just think go myself to police station and tell rather than getting awful felling every day and can't explain to my kids what's wrong with me. Do you have any idea how long after the incident police knock on your door

Comment

It sounds like Boots have sent you an exclusion order in which case that’s the end of the matter. The police will be aware but no further action will be taken and you will not have a visit from the police.

Comment

I know I keep on going over it. What about I go myself to police station and tell them what happened? Or is just me being silly

Comment

move on with your life,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X