• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Severn Trent County Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Trent County Court

Hi there, need some help.

A few years back i fell into debt with my water company severn trent. I phoned to try and sort it, at the time, I could literally only afford to give £5 a month due to being on benefits and arrears due to council delaying the payment of my housing benefits. It was quite demoralising offering your last bit of money to someone and they turn it down.

Fast forward to 2020 and since then the debt has just grown & grown and hs now been referred to the county court. Just wanted some information on what my options are? What would happen if I ignore the letter and ignore the debt? Bare in mind I have and don't intend on getting a mortgage or credit card. Can bailiffs force entry into my home?

Please Any info will help. Thanks
    Tags: None

No they cannot force entry. However ST will transfer it up to the High Court for Enfocement if it is for more than £600. There are ways to deal with it but lets see what happens first.

Have you seen https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-account...nt-trust-fund/
    Some of the other schemes may be found at https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-account...ing-your-bill/ and you should explore them

Comment

The debt is more than £600 and the court papers have been received. I haven't opened the envelope up yet. I phoned up to enquire without giving a reference or name just to enquire. I know the account balance is not what the claim balance would be for. So is that something I could dispute, the extra charges?

Comment

There will be Court Fees, possibly interest + maybe a solicitors charge. You must open the letter.

Comment

Is there any way of contesting the interest etc.?

Comment

Very doubtful.

Comment

What would the consequences of not replying? A ccj? Would that allow them to force entry into my home? If the ccj goes through will that result in more payments if unpaid?

Comment

If you don't respond a CCJ will be awarded against you regardless. The chances are they will go for enforcement which could add up to an £1k to what you owe. They cannot force entry but you would have to ensure you lock your door even going out to the bin. Do you own your own home? Have you looked at the links I gave you above in Post 2?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X