• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

FPN Issued that did not commit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPN Issued that did not commit

Hi there,

So my uncle, who I have been living with during lockdown, received an FPN for allegedly leaving rubbish bags around the corner from his designated spot. His address was found in that trash and hence the FPN. This is in Wandsworth and the fine has come from NSL Ltd, based on Oldham who are clearly the contractors to deal with it. Here are the facts and I have corresponded twice with NSL Ltd to appeal this.

- The original FPN came with notice of an offence and no photographic evidence. The incident address they have given is also not round the corner but far at the end of the road they are saying. About 300m away.
    - The incident took place on Monday 26th October at around 12pm, or at least that is when their officer saw it.

I responded to this letter kindly saying:

- This is not something my uncle has committed.
    - Mid afternoon on the day of the alleged incident, my uncle was taken to hospital by paramedics. He now sits on a ventilator (even as I type this) with severe covid on the lungs. He had been unwell for two days prior to this alleged incident and was barely able to walk much let alone take rubbish out. I said they can check with the ICU at chelsea and westminster.
    - There is no photographic evidence
    - If you respond, please respond to me his nephew.

Their response:

- Once again addressed to my uncle, who is in hospital and shows complete lack of compassion.
    - They have sent photos of rubbish bags far away from the original address they said but close to mine and my uncles address. Possibly a typo from their end but surely not good evidence on their part if the address is wrong
    - They have a photo of my uncles address. I believe this could have been mail that ended up in someone else's house, junk mail perhaps, that has been thrown out by someone in their designated spot but looks like ours.

I respond:

- Angry they have ignored my request to address it to me and not even mentioned the fact he was ill.
    - Explained the photo shows it could have been junk mail, is someone expected to pay a fine when there is clearly reasonable doubt
    - Have said their photo evidence doesn't correspond with the address they have put down
    - We know where the designated spot for us is and have not committed this

They respond

- Saying the fine stands and will head to magistrates court if we don't pay it
    - No mention of my uncles illness or any of my reasons
    - Once again addressed to him which felt wrong, he isn't around.
    - Threat of £2500 at magistrates court

My questions:

- As it is addressed to my uncle but he is in hospital and in ICU, should that not be taken into account as evidence to suggest he could not have done this?
    - We are doing them a courtesy by opening his mail and responding, why are they letting me respond yet still addressing it to him? Do they have to prove that it was he that committed the offence?
    - The evidence is simply a photo of some rubbish bags and then a zoomed in snap of his name and address. That's it. Does that mean other residents would not be liable for anything and hence if it can be proved he was unwell will that suffice?
    - The inconsistency in the address to the incident will that be enough to not get to court? It could be a typo that a judge might say, well it's clearly a typo but surely that isn't good enough when issuing a fine?
    - Would me or my uncle mentioning that junk mail could be the reason for this, be considered as a plausible reason even when absolutely not us? Could have been junk mail, a stray envelope etc.
    - Would they need CCTV?
    - How often do these even get to court?

Just confused as to why they won't even consider all my points, is it an empty threat or could this get to court in the current climate?

Cheers
    Mihir
    Tags: None

They do get to court. I have heard them, though I have no idea how many are going to court at the moment - the system is backlogged. Most recent was someone dumping a sofa at the back of some houses. You would have the right to make your case but could have costs also awarded against you. I think I would find out who the contractors are contracted to (your local council usually) and approach them with your evidence - they may tell their contractor to cancel the fine. Worth a shot.

Comment

How far does the issuance comply with government guidance ? (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/househol...ixed-penalties)
      Don't just write to the council, get your uncle's local councillor involved and complain loudly

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X