• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overdue Invoice Payment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdue Invoice Payment

Hi, I develop mobile applications for a living and I have a client who has proven to be fairly reluctant to pay invoices on time and often unnecessarily disputes the amounts in a bid to get free work out of me.

I delivered an application to this client in January for a new franchise business they were starting in March this year. We have a contractual agreement in place that says they are meant to pay for the app when I deliver it (Note: NOT when the business launches). They asked to pay me on March 10th, no later, when the franchise business launched - as a favour, I agreed to do it. Since that date in the beginning of January they disputed more invoices and tried to negotiate them down. I did not give in and charged the full amount, eventually receiving the payments. Come March 10th, the business did not launch because of coronavirus (supposedly). I was not told that they planned not to launch their business and despite agreeing to pay me no later than March 10th they are now refusing to pay.

I have reminded them of our contractual agreement, which does not have a force majeure clause for them to cancel the contract during this virus situation. I have issued a payment reminder last week on Friday, and have had no indication from them that they intend to pay. I offered them 2 deals - 1 was to pay £2500 now and the rest when the business launches, another was to delay the payment until May 1st and extend our contract by 3 months. The first being the fairest of the 2, but they refused to accept either. They have continually mucked me about for months now, so I am not willing to do the deals as they were chucked back at me. I am looking to get paid the full invoice amount as soon as possible, which is £5000, even if it requires taking legal action. They have another invoice that will be issued on April 1st and would not surprise me if this wasnt paid either. I have not told them I intend to take legal action yet as I get the impression they think I wouldnt take it to that. Could someone give me some advice on how to proceed?? I plan to send a final payment reminder tomorrow informing them they have 7 days to pay and if they dont I will be taking legal action. Please could someone give me some guidance as its a lot of money they owe me and is much needed during this time. Thank you all.
    Tags: None

Send that reminder invoice and add in interest at 8%. Might clear their heads a bit. Wait till the April invoice is not paid, I presume you have a time limit on the invoice by which they should pay. Then send a letter before claim listing all the outstanding debts and give them 30 days to respond.* Do they have enough money to be able to pay?

While you are waiting set up your account with MCOL,https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome so you are ready to go from the off. Registration used to involve snail mail, I don't know if it's changed.

When I was providing services for a living a lot of the customers wouldn't pay, I think in the belief that as a small business I wouldn't bother, but a copy of the court claim form that I was about to send in worked wonders. That was before there was MCOL.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X