• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to retrieve a company car from a terminated employee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to retrieve a company car from a terminated employee

Our company is a very small company and we have a company car (leased) that one or our employee has been using. We recently terminated the employee and as a gesture of goodwill to try and alleviate any immediate issues with transport offered for them to retain the car for 6 weeks whilst they made alternative arrangements.

The former employee is very angry about the termination and has refused to return the vehicle after the grace period has ended. Since the termination we have also learned the employee has in fact lost their driving licence and as they were the only party insured to drive the vehicle we would now like to have the car returned sooner rather than later to ensure that it's not being driven without valid insurance etc which I believe is voided once a party doesn't have a valid licence.*

We unfortunately do not have a spare set of keys so 'self help' by going and picking up the car isn't an option.*

Does anyone have any advice as to what steps we can take to recover the vehicle in the most straight forward and lawful manor.

Tags: None

Write to the former employee telling them to return the vehicle and the keys or you will take action to recover the vehicle, and seek to recover any costs from them.

In some cases you may be able to get a replacement key from a main agent or the manufacturer, if you have the V5 and other details, etc. The leasing company may even hold a spare.

Contact the leasing company, tell them what has happened, and see what they suggest.

At worst, if the vehicle is on the street, get a recovery firm to go and pick it up (literally).

Go to the police and tell them that the vehicle is being used without the owner's permission, and that the only person insured to drive it has lost their licence.

Comment

Originally posted by typonaut View Post
      Write to the former employee telling them to return the vehicle and the keys or you will take action to recover the vehicle, and seek to recover any costs from them.

In some cases you may be able to get a replacement key from a main agent or the manufacturer, if you have the V5 and other details, etc. The leasing company may even hold a spare.

Contact the leasing company, tell them what has happened, and see what they suggest.

At worst, if the vehicle is on the street, get a recovery firm to go and pick it up (literally).

Go to the police and tell them that the vehicle is being used without the owner's permission, and that the only person insured to drive it has lost their licence.
      Don't tell them to return the vehicle, they have lost their license and can't drive. Tell them to send the keys to you within 7 days and you will come to collect the vehicle.

If you do go to the Police as suggested make sure when you do recover the car that you let them know you have, otherwise the next user of the car is going to get stopped anytime they drive past a police car with ANPR fitted.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X