• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Renting a Car Space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting a Car Space

I'm being offered an opportunity to rent a car space for £80 per month at my current address.*The address is a large apartment block with gated parking.*I've been in the property for 8 years now and currently have an informal arrangement with another tenant to use his car space for the same price per month. This agreement is coming to a close, because the tenant is buying a car and needs the space back.

I've been contacted by a letting agent offering me a space for £80 per month, but they have asked for a £100 deposit. When I questioned why they need a deposit, they advised that it covers the key / gate fob if it gets lost, or if i don't return it. I advised that I have my own fob, and don't require theirs, but they are still insisting that I pay £100 deposit in the event of unpaid rent at the end of the lease. I'll be paying in advance each month, so I'm a little unsure as to why this deposit is required. Am I legally required to pay this?
    Tags: None

You're not legally required to pay a deposit, but it seems that's the terms of renting the space and if they insist upon it that'll be the only way you'll get it.

I would ask them that as you are entering into a tenancy agreement to rent the land (car parking space) where the deposit will be secured?

As you won't be taking a fob (make sure this is in the agreement) and it's outdoors, so they can screw you for not having cleaned, the only deduction they could make would be for unpaid rent. If it's independently held and you can prove you paid all the rent owing, then they can't screw you for it at the end of the agreement.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X