• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dispute with Builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispute with Builder

Hi - have just come across this forum and hope that someone may be able to give me some advice.
    Employed builder to carry out extension/building works in Auugust 2017 and had a payment schedule which staggered payments up until Christmas 2017. Building carried on into 2018, so payment schedule also got prolonged. In April, builder stopped work, partly as my Mum was seriously ill. However, he did not return until November 2018, even though I continually texted/emailed him asking when he was coming back and he kept fobbing me off. He came back for 1 day and then did not return again. I was angry, frustrated and decided to look for new builder to complete works. Finally found one who started work in January 2019. In February, original builder invoiced me for remaining outstanding monies, as well as to pay for extras that he carried out. I was not prepared to pay any more as he had not completed work and should have refunded me some money as I had all but paid him apart from £2,250 and the monies that should have been credited totalled £5,250. Ended up going to court on 5th September and Judge adjourned case as both claimant and myself had made errors in our evidence and gave us another 2 weeks to submit bundle in correct format. He did, however, strike out my counter-claim for above monies (and money that should have been credited) but went on to tell me that these monies should form part of my defence, not counter-claim. My counter-claim should be amount had to pay new builder to complete works. Builder is now threatening me that if we end up back in court he is going to instruct a lawyer, which he seems to think I will have to pay for as he is sure that he will win case.

Could do with some re-assurance and advice from anyone who has experience/knowledge?
    Tags: None

The value of the claim would mean it would be in the small claims track and his costs limited to the costs of court fees, witness expenses if he incurred them to a max of £100.

As your counter claim has been struck out you need to defeat his claim and then bring a separate claim against him after doing so as the judge told you for the cost of employing the builder to finish the job.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Lolly47*id be interested to know how your case developed as I too have a similar dispute

Comment

what is the matter with these people they quote a job but will not get an Insurance guarantee against defects on roofs/buildings etc, they try and say I done this for 30 years and will continue to do so?* well illness happens and the coatomers has had it, no claim. * failure to quantify guarantee should be a government priority?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X