• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court claim on statue barred debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court claim on statue barred debt

Received a court summons to what I think is a statue barred debt. This is been done by Lowell’s even though I sent them an official letter saying the debt was state barred and not to contact me again I have received a court summons. I have sent back the court summons requesting 28 days. The letter from Lowell’s them stating response to pre action issued on the 25th of November this is when I asked for SARS information on the paper work it states last payment made towards this acc was 13/02/2012 (this payment never went through) and the acc then defaulted September 2012. Worried as on the paper work it states final charge off 03/06/15 I don’t understand what this means? This under all payments received or not received can you please help
    Tags: None

The final charge off date is likely the date the original creditor wrote the debt off their ledger, probably the date Lowell bought it.

You need to be careful when defending, don't put all your eggs in the Stat Barred basket and defend on as many points as possible.

If the last payment was to the creditor on Feb 2012 that doesn't mean the default date is automatically a month after it and so you need to check your credit file to see what the default date is. Stat Barred is from the date of last payment or default date, whichever is the latter.

Basically if this date is still on your credit file then it's unlikely it's stat barred.

You haven't stated the date on the claim form, but you have acknowledged service by the sounds of it and have 33 days from the date on the claim form to file a defence.

How soon is that deadline?

These are your next steps:

1. Send the Solicitor a CPR 31.14 Request
    2. If the debt is for credit (loan, card, catalogue etc.) send the claimant a CCA Request enclosing a cheque or postal order for £1 with "CCA 1974 STAT FEE ONLY" marked across the front.
    3. Send a Subject Access Request Letter to the original owner of the debt.

Make copies for your records.

It won't hurt to start your defence using the Example Defence either, it's not a rush job then close to the deadline.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hi thank you so very much for your reply, I’ve defended it and requested a crp but Lowell has replied that they don’t need to discloser of documents under cpr16.4 with the particulars of claim further more under CPR 31.11 which applies to disclosure of documents does not apply to small
      claims court. The courts haven’t said it’s a small claims yet. They have said I need to respond but not sure what to do. They did send two copies of letter sent by them one saying to contact them about said debt the other is notice of acting. And they also sent the original contract and payments made. It’s not on my credit file so I can’t see it. In their original letter when I requested it before they took it to court it says the account defaulted due to failure of payment September 2012 I sent a letter to them after I received this saying I believe the debt to be statue barred which they never replied to but instead got the court summons.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X