• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting, do I pay the fine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• des8
    replied
    Originally posted by Kirklorder View Post
    Sorry I’m just really stressing out as this is the first time I’ve ever been in trouble, what about the debt collectors as I heard somewhere that someone had them turn up at their house?
    Be a wasted journey for them if they try that tactic, as you don't pay them and you tell them to leave the premises otherwise you will call the police to prevent a breach of the peace.
    They won't actually come as there is no debt, and they have no power being toothless wonders

Leave a comment:

• des8
    replied
    As ostell we recommend letting your parents know as this is a secret you will hanging over you for some months.
    As a misdemeanour it is very small
    RLP letters can be read here :https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...rs-rlp-and-dwf
    There is no need to wait for your own copy.
    They can go on for 5 or 6 months, each one becoming more threatening as they become more desperate to relieve you of your money.

Go to Uni, enjoy it (and do some study)

Leave a comment:

• Kirklorder
    replied
    Sorry I’m just really stressing out as this is the first time I’ve ever been in trouble, what about the debt collectors as I heard somewhere that someone had them turn up at their house?

Leave a comment:

• ostell
    replied
    Have you really been reading the other threads about this (well yes as you have double posted). You were advised to just ignore their demands for payment. Look up the Oxford Case and RLP. There is a summary on this site.

Tell parents, they are surprisingly tolerant and helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Kirklorder
    replied
    Do you know how long this is going to carry on for? As I haven’t received the letter yet I am unsure of the amount but if it is less than £200 I don’t know whether to just pay it as I will be moving, I cannot tell my parents due to an already strained relationship, it would cause huge issues more than just a telling off if they found out

Leave a comment:

• ostell
    replied
    So it is not a fine. RLP do not have the authority to issue fines. It is a request for payment for their alleged losses in handling the matter. However, as a judge told them, they have had no additional costs or losses as they would have had the same costs whether you were there or not.

They can't really call the police after the event. Nothing has been stolen, no loss.

Just ignore. Tell parents, and tell them to ignore. Expect the ear bashing but I'm sure they will help.

Leave a comment:

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X