• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting, do I pay the fine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirklorder
    replied
    Yes of course, like I said I’ve never been in trouble before and so one sign of trouble scares me, I still do not totally understand completely due to me understanding that I did attempt to shoplift and therefore I am in the wrong, and that the fine is a punishment, and I just don’t want my parents finding out

Leave a comment:

• ostell
    replied
    So it looks like those letters are having the desired effect: you are running scared and were even thinking of paying

Leave a comment:

• Kirklorder
    replied
    Does anyone know what the envelopes look like that come through the door? Whether they have the RLP logo on or if they’re plain?

Leave a comment:

• des8
    replied
    That is how they operate: scare tactics to prey on their victims, to pressurise people into paying.
    In the UK we have legal systems to enable recovery of rightly owed debts and charges.
    Because they failed to make recovery through the courts when they applied, they have resorted to their own brand of justice.
    They act as vigilantes, and I am pleased to hear you now intend to ignore them

Leave a comment:

• Kirklorder
    replied
    If it’s that much I’ll just pay for my mail to be redirected and deal with the threats, it’s scary stuff and the thought of debt collectors or anything is terrifying to me, it was a simple moment of madness which I totally and utterly regret just want to get it over with

Leave a comment:

• Kirklorder
    replied
    If it’s that much I’ll just pay for my mail to be redirected and deal with the threats, it’s scary stuff and the thought of debt collectors or anything is terrifying to me, it was a simple moment of madness which I totally and utterly regret just want to get it over with

Leave a comment:

• Kirklorder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• des8
    replied
    The demand for money (please do not call it a fine) will probably be in the £160 region.
    Significant or not, it is not something RLP are entitled to, but it is obviously your choice to pay or not

Leave a comment:

• emmasanchez3
    replied
    ohh, i see ,it's better to pay the ticket rather to explain to your parents your current movements

Leave a comment:

• Kirklorder
    replied
    I don't want to give up, but with my parents not going to know, me moving cities soon, it just seems like a lot of stress for a non-significant amount of money

Leave a comment:

• emmasanchez3
    replied
    are you sure you are just giving up?

Leave a comment:

• Kirklorder
    replied
    I might see how much the fine is and depending on the amount just pay it, it seems like a lot of hassle to not pay and I understand I have done wrong and have accepted responsibility for that.

Leave a comment:

• des8
    replied
    You could have your post redirected by the post office to your address at Uni

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/r...il/redirection

Leave a comment:

• Kirklorder
    replied
    Is there a way to change my address when I move so the letters come to me rather than my parents house? It's just not feesable for me to discuss this with my parents at all, if they found out it would be disastrous for my relationship with them, and also I have read that the debt collectors send letters after the forth letter from the RLP, are these envelopes obvious as to what is enclosed or is it discreet

Leave a comment:

• emmasanchez3
    replied
    what state do you live ?

Leave a comment:

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X