• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi and Lender Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi and Lender Issue

Hi - Following a property repossession the lender attempted to sell said property and apparently the lender is unable to do so, as there is a title issue. It appears the solicitor completing the original mortgage transaction (I assume Lender's solicitor as it was a remortgage at the time) failed to register a charge against the property at Land Registry on behalf of the lender.

Lender has requested I rectify said issue by completing form ID1 and completing a mortgage deed doc, and has threatended court action if I do not comply.

I'm unsure about what form such Court action may take (and likelihood of success for Lender), given I did not cause said issue? I'm wondering why the lender doesn't pursue the solicitor?
    Tags: None

My knowledge of land law can be comfortably written on the back of my business card.

I set out the fact, as I understand them:
    You are the mortgagor - I assume that.
    The mortgagee is in possession.
    The mortgagee now wishes to exercise his right to sell the property, to recover the money he lent to the mortgagor.
    The mortgagee discovered that there is no charge on the property, to secure the lending.
    The mortgagee now wishes to rectify that by inserting that charge on the Land Registry.

He has asked you to complete ID1 - your identity form. You are entitled to be paid your costs in doing that.
    You are also entitled to be paid the cost of obtaining independent advice from a solicitor on the mortgage deed itself.
    As I assume you are not in funds to do that, you will be looking for the money to do this up front.

One further point, did the request come from the receiver appointed by the mortgagee, or directly from the mortgagee in possession.

It may turn out, that because no charge was registered, the mortgagee was not lawfully entitled to possession of the premises - other wiser people may be able to give an opinion in that.

Comment

Whilst agreeing with efpom to seek legal advice there is case law concerning the failure of a lender to register a charge which enables the lender to rely on subrogation and be registered as proprietor of, a pre-existing legal land charge.

This case, Anfield (UK) Ltd v Bank of Scotland plc & ors, [2010] EWHC 2374 (24 September 2010) gives comfort to lenders who have failed to register charges in circumstances where they have made advances to discharge a secured debt owed to another financier. In such instances, the court may be prepared to invoke the equitable remedy of subrogation so as to allow the lender to step into the shoes of the other financier, so far as the security is concerned, thereby gaining priority over intermediate lenders holding security over the same property.

Comment

Originally posted by efpom View Post
        My knowledge of land law can be comfortably written on the back of my business card.

I set out the fact, as I understand them:
        You are the mortgagor - I assume that.
        The mortgagee is in possession.
        The mortgagee now wishes to exercise his right to sell the property, to recover the money he lent to the mortgagor.
        The mortgagee discovered that there is no charge on the property, to secure the lending.
        The mortgagee now wishes to rectify that by inserting that charge on the Land Registry.

He has asked you to complete ID1 - your identity form. You are entitled to be paid your costs in doing that.
        You are also entitled to be paid the cost of obtaining independent advice from a solicitor on the mortgage deed itself.
        As I assume you are not in funds to do that, you will be looking for the money to do this up front.

One further point, did the request come from the receiver appointed by the mortgagee, or directly from the mortgagee in possession.

It may turn out, that because no charge was registered, the mortgagee was not lawfully entitled to possession of the premises - other wiser people may be able to give an opinion in that.
        Thanks for the response. Said request came via the Receiver's 'solicitor.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Whilst agreeing with efpom to seek legal advice there is case law concerning the failure of a lender to register a charge which enables the lender to rely on subrogation and be registered as proprietor of, a pre-existing legal land charge.

This case, Anfield (UK) Ltd v Bank of Scotland plc & ors, [2010] EWHC 2374 (24 September 2010) gives comfort to lenders who have failed to register charges in circumstances where they have made advances to discharge a secured debt owed to another financier. In such instances, the court may be prepared to invoke the equitable remedy of subrogation so as to allow the lender to step into the shoes of the other financier, so far as the security is concerned, thereby gaining priority over intermediate lenders holding security over the same property.
          Thanks for the response. It would appear case law re subrogation may apply in this case, in the event I failed to rectify the title issue on behalf of the lender. I'm unsure about the reference to 'gaining priority over intermediate lenders', although this may refer to previous lenders (financiers).

Comment

The intermediate lenders were a company who made a loan secured by a charge on the property after the first mortgage was discharged.
            Allowing the new company to rely on the pre existing charge puts the intermediate lender in the position of a second mortgagee.

Hope that makes sense!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X