• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Housing Association Recharge For Void Works!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing Association Recharge For Void Works!

Hi, we completed an internal housing transfer with our housing association (assured tenancy). It was a very quick move as we were given less than a week. When I returned the keys for the previous property to their Head Office I was informed that they would inspect the previous property two days later and that we must be present. They were happy for my father to attend the previous property and sign the paperwork at 1 pm on our behalf, and he arrived at 12.45 pm and waited 45 minutes in his car up the driveway but nobody pitched up. We then assumed that they must have inspected in our absence at another time and that all was okay as we heard nothing from the housing association. I took lots of photos of our old house before we left to show it was left clean and tidy. However, today we received an invoice from the housing association for what appears to be the replacement of two doors for the princely sum of £444,65. I assume that they must be gold plated at that price. Our gripe is that we were not informed about any alleged problems or given any opportunity to put things right. They just went ahead and did the works without telling us. According to the paperwork we received today the repairs were done a week after the inspection was supposed to take place. My husband doesn't work due to ill health and I claim carer's allowance and certainly don't have over £400 spare. Help!
    Tags: None

Hi. The cost of a door can be as low as £20, but it may need to be cut to size. It will certainly need to have locks and hinges accurately fitted, and it probably will need painting. The cost specified does not seem completely unreasonable, to be frank, but of course it depends on the doors and what was needed.

Are you disputing that the work was needed at all? Their handling of the inspection was clearly all wrong, and if you have photos showing the doors were fine, you may have a strong case. The first step is to write back explaining your point of view.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have emailed our landlord to ask what doors they replaced and to complain that we were not informed prior to them changing them. I just checked the photos I took and unfortunately not all the doors are shown but most are and they look fine. One door that they might have replaced is the kitchen door that the previous tenant put in. We did an exchange with them some years ago and they were told to put a kitchen door in prior to an exchange. It never fitted properly and it never bothered us as we didn't use it and kept it open all the time. When we signed the paperwork for the exchange in the house the housing officer just did a cursory look to see that a door had been fitted and that was it. I suspect that this door is one of the doors that was replaced. Not sure about the other one.

Comment

UPDATE: I've contacted my landlord twice in the past few weeks. They were supposed to get back to me within 5 working days. After waiting for about 8 days I sent in a complaint which they were supposed to respond to within 1 working day. I am still waiting for a response. They reply quickly to other unrelated queries but I am unable to get any response regarding this matter. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by mum1one View Post
          UPDATE: I've contacted my landlord twice in the past few weeks. They were supposed to get back to me within 5 working days. After waiting for about 8 days I sent in a complaint which they were supposed to respond to within 1 working day. I am still waiting for a response. They reply quickly to other unrelated queries but I am unable to get any response regarding this matter. Any suggestions?
          Go round to their office at around 4pm. Sit in the waiting area, and say that you will not leave until this is resolved. Be polite, yet insistent that you will only go when this is dealt with.

Of course, this is a bluff. They have a legal right to eject you, using reasonable force. In any case, you don't really want to spend the night there. On the other hand, if they do eject you, that puts them in a very awkward position. Personally, I'd suggest you leave once you have a plausible promise to deal with it within say 24 hours, preferably in writing. Good luck!

Comment

Hi, thanks for the advice. Fortunately I didn't need to pitch up at their offices as yesterday afternoon I received an email from our Landlord's Voids and Lettings Team Leader apologising for the delay and stating that she would look into our appeal and write to us. Today we received a letter from her stating that our appeal was successful and they would not be pursuing the recharge! I am over the moon! Thanks for the advice on setting out our point of view.

Comment

That's brilliant. Good for you, and thanks for keeping us informed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X