• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My Ex reported me for hitting on her. What's up with that?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Ex reported me for hitting on her. What's up with that?

I still bump into my exes occasionally and none of my previous relationships went sour; they just winded down. Anyway there's not much to this story:

We were standing next to each other at a function about a year or so after we were last physical - we used to be open, then exclusive for a bit, then we split up but continued to sleep together. I cheekily stroked the outside of her leg to...'test the water' perhaps...see if she was still on the same page. Anyway, it lasted less than a second as she jerked away, shocked. I left it. We didn't really speak for the rest of the evening.

I'm a flirtatious guy and so was she but something has clearly changed with her. Later that day, some insecure guy calls me, saying he's her bf and he's got a problem with me. I apologise. Now I've been told to report for a police interview tomorrow.

Is she wasting my time? The police on the phone sound like their time's being wasted by her. Can someone send a large solicitor's invoice to her to calm her down a bit? This is so weird.
    Tags: None

Presumably she has reported you for sexual assault ?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I can't remember what police said this falls under. Assault sounds...overstated. Is there anything else?

Comment

It might sound overstated to you but it seems likely that's what it would fall under.

Before the interview I'd get yourself more in the mindset of 'I didn't realise I'd worried her, I apologise profusely and I understand it was unwanted and a lapse of judgment' on your part rather than a 'send her a solicitors invoice to intimidate and scare her further' attitude.

According to the Sexual Offences Act 2003, the elements of the offence of sexual assault are:
        • A person

(A) intentionally touches another person

(B) • the touching is sexual

• (B) does not consent to the touching, and (A) does not reasonably believe that (B) consents.

The Crown Prosecution Service guidelines further clarify that “touching is widely defined and includes with any part of the body, or with anything else, and can be through clothing”. The definition is clear.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

and when you go for your interview either take your own solicitor or request the duty solicitor be present.
          The latter is free and it is your right to be accompanied.
          Might seem overkill, but better than regretting later

Comment

robbyduffy How did the interview go?
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              It might sound overstated to you but it seems likely that's what it would fall under.

Before the interview I'd get yourself more in the mindset of 'I didn't realise I'd worried her, I apologise profusely and I understand it was unwanted and a lapse of judgment' on your part rather than a 'send her a solicitors invoice to intimidate and scare her further' attitude.
              The issue appears to be however what (A) believes, as (A) has to have a reasonable belief that (B) consents so there is potentially a defence to the challenge, but i agree its best not to stir up a hornets nest any more than youve already done
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

It's been moved to Tues.

Yes I will challenge on the basis that it was reasonable to believe that it was consented as it clearly had been every point in our very physical past together. I have communications between us since that explain how I did not mean for it to cause offense. And obviously I have comms to show how passionate and racy our relationship was.

I'm tempted to not take legal rep as the matter is so trivial, it might be a red flag. The worst they said it could get was a cautioning.

I was kidding about the wanting to punish her with an invoice. But I'm peeved because this is such a waste of everyone's time and with recent political movements getting a bit out of hand I'm not going to be dragged into a fad of ladies lashing back for honest and natural flirting.

Comment

Flirting and touching are different things.

Please heed previous advice from Des and Amethyst.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyduffy View Post
                    I'm tempted to not take legal rep as the matter is so trivial, it might be a red flag. The worst they said it could get was a cautioning.
                    No No a million times No.

You always take legal representation and it's not a red flag to adhere to your legal rights. If you cannot afford a solicitor ask for the duty solicitor.

I don't care what they say, sexual assault could have much worse consequences than a caution and should be treated with seriousness.
                    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

And a caution is still going on your criminal record and could affect employment and be used if you are investigated for anything else later..... please use the duty solicitor at the very least.

Also, be careful using those texts as 'evidence' as they could be turned around into a case for harrassment ( obviously depending on the content and how 'two ways' it was )
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

OK OK. I can afford lawyers but I'm not paying for this inconvenience - this was why I was saying whoever 'loses' should get the bill. I'll ask for the DS.

The comms since the 'incident' were initiated by her.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyduffy View Post
                          OK OK. I can afford lawyers but I'm not paying for this inconvenience - this was why I was saying whoever 'loses' should get the bill. I'll ask for the DS.

The comms since the 'incident' were initiated by her.
                          Phew... thank goodness.
                          Advice is never ever go to police interview without a solicitor to protect your rights

Comment

Update on robbyduffy vs ex-girlfriend 2018: Police want to issue me a caution on Sun. I understand that for them to do that then I have to admit guilt but I don't. As PT2537 established, it was reasonable to believe that touching was consented to as that is the kind of relationship we had.

I do work with kids occasionally on weekends so this isn't ideal. Maybe I deserve more time off on the weekend anyway...

Comment

The fact the allegation has been made at all may well show up on an enhanced CRB. If you accept a caution, that is quite likely to haunt you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X