• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello all - Close to losing job due to defamatory reference. Please help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all - Close to losing job due to defamatory reference. Please help.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to LegalBeagles so realise I'm probably posting in the wrong part of the forum here. Any forum advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've been in my job for just under a year - managing one of the more successful departments in the company. I enjoy it and get on well with everyone.
    However, as part of the background check when I first started, the company wanted a reference from my accountant to confirm I had been working in the UK for the past five years as a sole trader. His response to the emailed request was "I don't think I need to say more" and attached was a letter from 2014 he sent me saying I was late (approx. 4 weeks) in paying his fee and he would sever our association. This was a particularly tough time for me financially and I immediately explained this to him and settled the balance. We then continued to work together for another two years, I thought, amicably. So imagine my suprise/concern, when this was flagged by HR! I contacted him to ask him to repair the situation and he didn't reply.

Although this seemed, initially, to be disregarded, it has now come up again (in a big way) now the company is undergoing a restructure. They are returning to past background checks and looking for any reason to reduce headcount, and I have heard this morning that I am due to be called in to a meeting on Monday - possibly to be let go. The letter from my accountant cited as the primary reason.

Sorry for the long preamble. My question is do I have a case against the accountant? Is this defamation? I was of the understanding that his actions are outside the scope of what was requested of him and has put my job/security at risk - not to mention the ongoing problems this could raise in future job seeking.

What to do??

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts,

'Jaybaz'
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Jaybaz View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to LegalBeagles so realise I'm probably posting in the wrong part of the forum here. Any forum advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've been in my job for just under a year - managing one of the more successful departments in the company. I enjoy it and get on well with everyone.
    However, as part of the background check when I first started, the company wanted a reference from my accountant to confirm I had been working in the UK for the past five years as a sole trader. His response to the emailed request was "I don't think I need to say more" and attached was a letter from 2014 he sent me saying I was late (approx. 4 weeks) in paying his fee and he would sever our association. This was a particularly tough time for me financially and I immediately explained this to him and settled the balance. We then continued to work together for another two years, I thought, amicably. So imagine my suprise/concern, when this was flagged by HR! I contacted him to ask him to repair the situation and he didn't reply.

Although this seemed, initially, to be disregarded, it has now come up again (in a big way) now the company is undergoing a restructure. They are returning to past background checks and looking for any reason to reduce headcount, and I have heard this morning that I am due to be called in to a meeting on Monday - possibly to be let go. The letter from my accountant cited as the primary reason.

Sorry for the long preamble. My question is do I have a case against the accountant? Is this defamation? I was of the understanding that his actions are outside the scope of what was requested of him and has put my job/security at risk - not to mention the ongoing problems this could raise in future job seeking.

What to do??

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts,

'Jaybaz'
    Yes you do have a case under the Defamation Act 2013, but it would be heard in the High Court and the consequences of losing are that you could be stuck with his very hefty legal bill.

Sending a letter suggesting that you did not settle a bill when in fact you did and continued to work would and is causing damage to your reputation, he should have known that it would. As such you could claim general damages for loss of reputation.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you for your response, JaguarsUK. The High Court sounds like a risky prospect, case or no case. And, we all hear stories of limited companies closing down to avoid liability etc...
      I'm engaging a solicitor tomorrow so I can, at least, show my employer that I'm considering legal action in these circumstances. Whether I follow through or not depends on the outcome of my meeting with HR on Monday (and if I have the proverbial courage).
      Again, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybaz View Post
        Thank you for your response, JaguarsUK. The High Court sounds like a risky prospect, case or no case. And, we all hear stories of limited companies closing down to avoid liability etc...
        I'm engaging a solicitor tomorrow so I can, at least, show my employer that I'm considering legal action in these circumstances. Whether I follow through or not depends on the outcome of my meeting with HR on Monday (and if I have the proverbial courage).
        Again, thank you.
        I wise choice and hopefully all will go well.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Unfortunately your employer is restructuring and looking to reduce staff.
          You have been there less than a year, so have hardly any rights anyway, and they do not need to re-examine your references if they want to let you go.

Possibly if they are re structuring and you manage a successful dept, they are looking to offer you a different position.

If they do let you go and you decided to pursue a claim for defamation you would need proof that the deciding factor in your employers decision was that reference........so get it in writing.

Comment

Thank you Des8, I will certainly try to get that in writing. If there is still an outside chance to keep my job, I want to make sure that any decision isn't based on simply my word versus his. I'm trying to demonstrate my conviction to my side of the story with a 'willingness' to take the issue further, if needs be.
            My concern about my position comes from information from a contact on the inside, as it were. Unfortunately, I don't think they're offering me a new position, but I appreciate the positive angle
            Fingers crossed, eh?
            Thanks again.

Comment

Suing for defamation must be done within 12 months of the occurrence happening.

Comment

Very useful to know! Thank you Ploddertom.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X