• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gardening Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gardening Thread

Originally posted by pam1 View Post
    PS the bird resembles cat food ;-)
    I like that cruel but funny!

My sunflowers turned out to be Dwarves. My daughter seeded and part grew them for Mother's day. They grew to about 15", flowered and died. Found a squirrel finishing off the rotting heads!

On the other site I asked for help with a very large Yukka, so for those of you that helped or are interested ......

I cut the leafy head off and stuck in water, then cut about 2 foot of stem with no leaves off and stuck that in water.
    The head grew roots quickly and was soon in the sun outside for the first time - seems to love it.
    I was just about to throw the middle as it had done nothing for ages - it looked weird, a stick in water! But then I notice tiny roots, it now has a shoot and a few roots, but still in a bucket of water,
    The base has also grown a shoot, about 8" long now.

So now I have three yukka's!!
    I think I will keep them all outdoors as my plants seem to have taken over indoors.

BTW a few years ago I was so fed up with all the "Wandering Jews" I had, I put loads outside. They have been out throughout two winters and are doing great. They don't grow as long but are really healthy - better than the indoor ones.

Sally x
    P1ss on me if you like, but don't try and tell me it's rain!
    life is all the more precious when we remember it is a terminal state.

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can
    Please don't drink and drive

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

Originally posted by Mochamoo View Post
      http://www.thepalmcentre.co.uk/

(found it) tells you all about how big the palsm get, and what they like and dont like
      Thanks very thoughtfull

Comment

Well the time has come I think to chop the head off my giant sunflower and harvest the seeds.
        I would'nt mind but the other two giants I have got havent even opened yet due to the lack of summer, but they are still growing, be it slowly.

And my desert rose looks like it will be going full bloom in a few weeks, its suddenly had a growth spurt, probably due to the heating going on.

Comment

Well guys its that time of year to dig up yer dead flowers, plants etc, empty the hanging baskets, I've got loads and they have been awful this year. I'm pretty lucky as I have a mediterranean themed garden so everything is in pots etc, it makes life a hell of a lot easier. And as most of you know my OH is obsessed with the lawn so I don't have to worry on that score either.
          Going to buy some winter flowering pansies and violas this weekend, have already got my bulbs in the pots. That should keep the garden looking reasonable until its time to buy bizzies and geraniums again next year.
          After that just need to keep an eye on the pond.

sapphire

Comment

What wild type flowers, if any, can be seeded to be flowers over winter?

Sally x
            P1ss on me if you like, but don't try and tell me it's rain!
            life is all the more precious when we remember it is a terminal state.

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can
            Please don't drink and drive

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

winter flowering plants include.Pansies, Sweet williams, Stock,Bellis daisies are lovely so too are primrose, my fave primrose is called cottage cream.
              I have all of my winter baskets planted up already, for the front of the house where the light in winter is poorest I have a couple of baskets of trailing ivys. around the back where the light is good I have 5 baskets and planters with all of the above mixed in them. It makes a dull winter day less miserable when you can look out at the flowers and dream of summer.

Best wishes,
              Liam Mc...
              Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Sally

Very few wild type flowers can be grown to flower thru winter as most are 'herbaceous perennials' and flower thru summer to maximise insect pollination.

However, there are a few evergreen shrubs that have lovely flowers and berries throughout the winter months.

My fave are Skimmia japonica, they have beautiful pink buds opening to white flowers. Also think about Viburnum tinus, they often flower well into winter and have vivid blue berries after flowers finish.

Violas and pansies flower thru the winter but are bedding plants, so wont last beyond next spring.
                "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Best get this one active again!
                  The Forsythia has been in flower since November. Daffodils have been in flower for over a fortnight. Snowdrops, Daisies and Dandilions everywhere.
                  Must be about time to get the seeds planted.

I must get the Kolrabi and Pak choi right this year.
                  Nat West 1 £9k settled AQ stage.
                  Nat West 2 £126 settled LBA
                  HSBC practice run £1330.00 settled on the Court doorstep....almost.

Comment

what is kolrabi and Pak Choi?

Comment

They are vegetables Nattie.

My garden is still in no fit state to grow anything, spent 6 hours yesterday breaking up a 6ft by 4ft bit of concrete i found several inches under the soil at the end of the garden.

Spud tubs up and ready to go, just a case of ordering 1 tonne of compost and several tonnes of elbow grease!

What else you growing this year peed?
                      When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.

When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.

Paulo Coelho

Comment

Originally posted by Nattie View Post
                        what is kolrabi and Pak Choi?
                        Kolrabi is suppose to be a sort of root veg crossed between a cabbage and a turnip. Unfortunatly mine went straight to seed last year, bypassing the edible stage. Pak Choi is a form of Asian greens used in stir-fry, and has a bigger brother called Bok Choi!

Originally posted by Mochamoo View Post
                        What else you growing this year peed?
                        This year will be limited, as I will be living in a converted bus with limited space. However, I will be pilfering a corner of my parents garden in the hope of conkering the Korabi. Also a bucket of Spuds. If I can evict my cats from sunbathing in the greenhouse, might manage a few melons, marrows and Butternut squash.

Comment

I'm doing carrots this year I hope. They are the only veg I like, plus the pony eats them by the bucketful. probably only in a tub thingy cos haven't got much space. have come into possession of a greenhouse but don't hold out much hope of getting it put together - its all in pieces and its a bit like the Krypton factor lol. Wouldn't mind Cyprus potatoes as well, can i grow these in a bucket?? What do i do, wait for one to go all sprouty then chuck it in a bucket of compost n stuff and hope for the best?

You will have noticed by now that i am a very novice grower of things......
                          Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
                            Wouldn't mind Cyprus potatoes as well, can i grow these in a bucket?? What do i do, wait for one to go all sprouty then chuck it in a bucket of compost n stuff and hope for the best?
                            Presuming these are just a variety of ordinary spud.......Get a deep bucket or similar, (last year I used the bag the compost came out of, opened one end) Put approx 10-12 inches of mud/dirt/earth/compost or what ever in the bottom. Push "sprouty" spud in so's it's just covered (remove most of the eyes/spouty bits or the plant will be feeding leaves not spuds). Water regularly but not enough for spud to rot. As the shoot grows add dirt, this will encourage lickle spuds to grow all the way up the stem. They should be ready any time after they have flowered.

Comment

Think i'm just going to do my usual Buzzie Lizzies and Geraniums, we have a mediterranean style garden and I don't suppose veggies will look good will they, although me thinks tubs with runner beans intersperced with sweet peas growing up canes look nice.

Comment

Thanks Peed, Yes, as far as I know they're just a spud, but can only usually get them in winter (perhaps thats cos they come from cyprus???). Anyway, they make absolutley lovely chips, all crispy and golden. Also brill for roasts and jackets and boiled, but a bit naff for smashing. As they're about 50p a pound, I though it would be cheaper to grow my own. Think I'll give it a go.
                                Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X