• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

38 degrees & Chloe Smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38 degrees & Chloe Smith

Just got this by email and thought it might interest others here:

"38 Degrees is facing its biggest ever threat.

The government’s rushing through a new law which, if it passes, will stop us running the type of campaigns which have made us who we are
    . [1] The campaigns which have saved our forests, fought privatisation in the NHS, and defeated the snoopers' charter. [2] The campaigns which have seen 1.7 million of us act together, locally and nationally, for over four years. In fact, if the new law passes, and we continue campaigning as we do now, the office team could even risk being sent to jail. [3]

The law's called the 'Transparency of Lobbying, Non-party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill'. And if it goes through without any changes, it’ll wipe out our campaigning by slashing what we can spend during the year before elections. Not just general elections, either. Local elections, European elections and referendums, too. [4]

But if we act now and we act together, we could make the government reverse their plan. Chloe Smith, the minister responsible for pushing this law through parliament, is coming under more and more pressure to re-think. If hundreds of thousands of us speak up now, we could swing her decision.

Can you email Chloe Smith now to tell her why it's important that we're able to campaign during elections, and what you think of her plans to stifle us? There’s no template email, because it’s really important that Chloe Smith hears your personal reasons for being a member of 38 Degrees. Anything you write to her now is better than her not hearing from us at all.

Click here to get started:
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/lobbying-bill

People power is at the heart of 38 Degrees. We don't spend too much, but our campaigns do cost money. Without being able to spend - employing staff, buying billboards, or printing leaflets about where politicians stand on local issues - we just won’t be able to make the issues which matter to us all, like the NHS and fair taxation, top of the agenda at the next election.

The three main political parties have a combined membership of around 433,000. [5] There are 1.7 million of us. Per member, the parties would be able to spend over £130 - 38 Degrees would be able to spend around 23p. [6] Put simply, this will make it hard to influence the next election, and every one after that.

Can you email Chloe Smith now?

It’s not clear whether this law is just badly written, or if the government is simply fed up of being criticised - but it’s a huge threat. And it doesn’t only affect us: from big charities to tiny single-issue campaigns, the sector is scared and furious.

The government’s trying to slip this through with as little fuss as possible. Not only did they introduce it on the day before MPs knocked off for the summer, they also tied it into a whole raft of other new rules on lobbying. And some of the new rules, like the register of lobbyists, are things we’ve been pushing for, although they’re not yet strong enough. [7] We still hope to campaign for tighter controls on dodgy lobbying - but before that, we have to fight to make sure we're not silenced during elections.

Chloe Smith needs to know that whether by accident or intention, this law isn’t fit for purpose. Can you email her now?

It's a really worrying time. The potential impact of this law is only just becoming clear. The Cabinet Office says it won’t affect us. [8] But experts we've spoken to, from lawyers to charity chiefs, are telling us it will. This threatens the entire way 1.7 million of us campaign together.

It’s not just us. Amazing people-powered campaigns like HOPE not hate's fight against the BNP in Barking and Dagenham, or Make Poverty History, just wouldn't be possible during election periods. Right when ordinary people should be able to have the most impact.

It's no exaggeration to say this law will make it easier for registered political parties like the BNP to campaign without challenge.

The government's doing its best to rush this law through without consultation or feedback. If we act together now, we can let them know that 38 Degrees is more than just a name - we're a movement of 1.7 million people committed to campaigning for a better, fairer Britain. We won't remain silent while they try to stop us.

Can you email Chloe Smith? Our movement may depend on it.

In hope,

Ian, Susannah, Blanche and the entire 38 Degrees team

PS: These proposals are complicated, and a lot of the detail still isn’t clear. The office team doesn’t have all the answers - we’re still talking to experts and other organisations. In the meantime, we’ve done our best to provide some clarity in the Frequently Asked Questions and Notes sections below.

FAQ

What should I write to Chloe Smith?

Perhaps you could tell her about the first email you wrote to an MP, or the first meeting you attended with other 38 Degrees members. Or perhaps why you think charities, campaigning groups and movements like ours which help people do these things should not be restricted?

Or you could explain your concerns about what could happen if we couldn’t campaign together against the privatisation of the NHS, or against parties such as the BNP? Or - you could just tell her why you're a member of 38 Degrees.

What are the proposals called, and where can I read more about them?

The plans are called the Transparency of Lobbying, Non-party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill. You can read the Bill documents and watch the progress of the legislation here: http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...documents.html

How will it affect our campaigning?

Since the proposals were published, the office team have been meeting with experts and other organisations to discuss the impact of these rules on our campaigning. They’ve indicated that although a lot of the detail is still unclear, they believe the risks to our campaigning are huge.

The law the government has put forward will very strictly limit spending on campaigning during the year before an election. And whereas current limits only count the costs of campaign materials, the new rules would include nearly everything campaigners do, e.g. staff time, travel, and media work. The new limits could stop us from being able to run billboards, or to mobilise in the way that we have during our successful campaigns to save our forests and stop the snoopers' charter.

What happens if 38 Degrees breaks the rules?

Breaking the rules on spending is a criminal offence. Ultimately, there’s a chance that members of the office team could be sent to jail if the rules were broken. Other organisations are facing the same threat, meaning that the ‘chilling’ effect on campaigning by charities and groups across the country is likely to be huge.

What do other groups think?

There’s widespread frustration. Charities and voluntary organisations are coming together to fight against the plans.

The National Council of Voluntary Organisations and HOPE not hate are just two of the organisations which have already spoken out publicly about the proposals.

Read NCVO’s statement here: http://blogs.ncvo.org.uk/2013/08/18/...-trojan-horse/

And HOPE not hate’s here: http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/blog/a...-hope-not-hate

Why is the government doing this?

No one’s certain. Some people are saying that a lot of this is unintended, and just bad, rushed drafting - but we’ve heard that before during our Section 75 campaign. Others say that it suits the coalition parties to silence campaigning organisations who have run campaigns which have caused them embarrassment in the past - such as the NUS’ tuition fees campaign and The Royal British Legion’s Armed Forces Covenant campaign. And of course, our campaign to save the NHS. Some think it’s because some MPs don’t even believe charities should be able to campaign for policy change which relates to their charitable objectives.

What else can we do?

The office team will be working hard over the next few days and weeks planning what we can do to help save our movement as we know it. If you have any ideas, please get in touch and let us know your thoughts by emailing emailtheteam@38degrees.org.uk

NOTES
    [1] Parliament UK: Transparency of Lobbying, Non-party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill 2013-14:
    http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...istration.html
    [2] 38 Degrees blog: Great news: government agree to protect our forests:
    http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2013/02...t-our-forests/
    NHS legal advice:
    http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2013/03...email-your-mp/
    We won!: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2013/04/26/we-won/
    [3] Electoral Commission: Guidance on preventing and detecting electoral malpractice, pg 104:
    http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...actice-web.pdf
    [4] Third Sector: Lobbying bill will hinder charity campaigning and fundraising, NCVO warns:
    http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/Policy_...ng-ncvo-warns/
    [5] BBC: Can UK political parties be saved from extinction?:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12934148
    N.B. These figures are from 2011. Recent reports suggest the numbers have declined even more since then, with the Conservative Party now reportedly having around 100,000 members:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...r-8753054.html
    [6] Electoral Commission: Party Campaign Expenditure:
    http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...gn-expenditure
    [7] Politics website: ‘Hilariously bad’: Lobbyists mock toothless statutory register:
    http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2013/...utory-register
    [8] CivilSociety website: Charity lawyer warns new lobbying bill poses 'existential threat to charity campaigning':
    http://www.civilsociety.co.uk/govern...ty_campaigning
    Tags: None

Re: 38 degrees & Chloe Smith

If, llike me, you'd never heard of 38 Degrees, here's their website:

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/

Comment

Beaten me to it, MissFM. Just PMed Celestine with the email. Don't know if it is going to affect online forums like LB, CAG, etc..
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I'm a member on there too.

Comment

I believe a number of LB members are also 38 degrees members, Sapphy, including myself.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I can't believe I'd never even heard of them, or certainly not sufficiently for it to register.

Comment

Yes, I am a member of 38 Degrees unsurprisingly.

Though these measures won't affect the LB forum directly because we don't have budgets for our campaign work, we all work for free essentially. I am still hugely concerned that poor drafting and this wretched governments inherent 'sneakiness', could land legitimate 'budgeted' campaign groups in very hot water.

Legal Beagles will certainly stand behind organisations affected and I hope our members will email Chloe Smith and object vehemently to this rushed legislation.
              It astonishes me how much work went into creating the Defamation Act 2013, yet significant legislation is being rushed through without proper thought. Of course lobbying needs examination, but I for one do not believe that any such legislation will stop the banking sector, the oil companies, the tobacco companies etc etc from influencing our MP's, so for Christs sake, let's make sure this legislation actually targets who its meant to.

And for anyone who doubts how damaging these lobbyists are, just look at The Jackson Reforms. The insurance industry must have been laughing into their champagne when they got that passed. It didn't just affect 'whiplash' claims, it has demolished a huge sector of decent, honest legal practice which relies on CFA's to fund cases.
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Im a member to although I don't support all the campaigns hopefully as its the people in their thousands lobbying not a company with only one interest lobbying exceptions will be made

Comment

Don't ever allow for 'hopefully' with this government.
                  "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Wishful thinking but remember dave says were all init together

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                      I believe a number of LB members are also 38 degrees members, Sapphy, including myself.
                      Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                      Yes, I am a member of 38 Degrees unsurprisingly.

Though these measures won't affect the LB forum directly because we don't have budgets for our campaign work, we all work for free essentially. I am still hugely concerned that poor drafting and this wretched governments inherent 'sneakiness', could land legitimate 'budgeted' campaign groups in very hot water.

Legal Beagles will certainly stand behind organisations affected and I hope our members will email Chloe Smith and object vehemently to this rushed legislation.
                      It astonishes me how much work went into creating the Defamation Act 2013, yet significant legislation is being rushed through without proper thought. Of course lobbying needs examination, but I for one do not believe that any such legislation will stop the banking sector, the oil companies, the tobacco companies etc etc from influencing our MP's, so for Christs sake, let's make sure this legislation actually targets who its meant to.

And for anyone who doubts how damaging these lobbyists are, just look at The Jackson Reforms. The insurance industry must have been laughing into their champagne when they got that passed. It didn't just affect 'whiplash' claims, it has demolished a huge sector of decent, honest legal practice which relies on CFA's to fund cases.
                      Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                      Im a member to although I don't support all the campaigns hopefully as its the people in their thousands lobbying not a company with only one interest lobbying exceptions will be made
                      Snap!
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I originally considered such organisations as Avaaz, Change, 38 Degrees etc., as having loud voices but no teeth, but they DO seem to have an effect - especially when our Dave says we are all in it together as the 'Big Society,' bless him !!!

If any law is being rushed through in the dead of night, then it is being sneaked in, IMO. As such, it must be treated with maximum suspicion. I shall certainly be sending Chloe a piece of my mind - while I still have some left.

FWIW, I believe 38 degrees is the 'tipping point' at which snow avalanches, if anyone is curious about the name.

Comment

I hope wot I rote is OK with Celestine, and if it might assist anyone who wants to email Chloe, here is my meagre attempt at placing a flea in her ear. By all means copy and paste it, and/or alter it to suit - I would be honoured !!!

Dear Chloe Smith MP,

The Transparency of Lobbying, Non-Party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill appears to restrict the ability of legitimate groups of people to voice their opinion at times when such opinions need to be expressed and heard. This is clearly an erosion of democracy and as such, it must be treated with maximum suspicion - particularly if it is being rushed through in the dead of night.

I appeal to you to reconsider your proposal, as it is likely to cause even more embarrassment to our Government - and damage to our country - than has been caused already. I am also sure that many, many others in our 'Big Society' will be appealing to you in a similar way.

By way of some identification, I work entirely voluntarily for "Legal Beagles" - which is an internet forum dedicated to helping those who have fallen victim to the wrongdoing of financial institutions, and ultimately the Government itself. Fortunately, Legal Beagles does not rely upon constant funding to operate, and can subsist on modest donations, but it still considers this bill to be a further restriction upon the constantly diminishing ability of the People to voice their opinions as a 'Big Society.'

Yours sincerely,

Bill-K.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
                            I originally considered such organisations as Avaaz, Change, 38 Degrees etc., as having loud voices but no teeth, but they DO seem to have an effect - especially when our Dave says we are all in it together as the 'Big Society,' bless him !!!

If any law is being rushed through in the dead of night, then it is being sneaked in, IMO. As such, it must be treated with maximum suspicion. I shall certainly be sending Chloe a piece of my mind - while I still have some left.

FWIW, I believe 38 degrees is the 'tipping point' at which snow avalanches, if anyone is curious about the name
                            & 'ere was me finking it was some really clever person, innit!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                            gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                              & 'ere was me finking it was some really clever person, innit!

Bitch.

That's the LAST time I google summat for you lot. You just don't realise how hard googling can be, do ya ? I had to work out how to spell Fahrenheit, Centigrade, Celsius, Kelvin & Absolute before I got anywhere. THEN I had to read up on biology and all that yucky stuff. AND THEN - I finally got the message that it might be geometry & physics that I needed a degree (bitch !!!) in.

I mean it. I'm actually a professor, and if performing Punch & Judy on the seafront has taught me anything, then it has been NEVER to swallow your swozzle. I didn't need 38 degrees to get where I am now, damn you sir.

But I sure as hell know...

"That's NOT the way to do it" !!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X