• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

38 degrees & Chloe Smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 38 degrees & Chloe Smith

It sounds like the Raving Right has gotten control of the ConDem government and is now steering a somewhat shaky course towards the edge of a precipice. The Tories were like this the last time they were in office - rush legislation through, not really think about it and worry about the consequences of their recklessness afterwards.

One public meeting I attended during the last Tory government, at the University of Plymouth, had David Owen (now Lord Owen) and Matthew Taylor, a former LibDem MP, on the platform with a junior health minister who was repeatedly claiming that people would want health service reforms. Matthew Taylor then said, very publicly to the junior health minister, "What planet are you living on?" No prizes for guessing what the audience's reaction to that was.
    Last edited by bluebottle; 23rd August 2013, 09:09:AM.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
      Bitch.

That's the LAST time I google summat for you lot. You just don't realise how hard googling can be, do ya ? I had to work out how to spell Fahrenheit, Centigrade, Celsius, Kelvin & Absolute before I got anywhere. THEN I had to read up on biology and all that yucky stuff. AND THEN - I finally got the message that it might be geometry & physics that I needed a degree (bitch !!!) in.

I mean it. I'm actually a professor, and if performing Punch & Judy on the seafront has taught me anything, then it has been NEVER to swallow your swozzle. I didn't need 38 degrees to get where I am now, damn you sir.

But I sure as hell know...

"That's NOT the way to do it" !!!

I used to 'Google' all the time.

I have to wear glasses now!

:nerd:
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebottle
        ...Matthew Taylor then said, very publicly to the junior health minister, "What planet are you living on?" No prizes for guessing what the audience's reaction to that was.
        LOL - sounds very much like one of my little seafront matinées, BB. Anyone for a sausage ?

Comment

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...rutiny-update/

Dr Hywel Francis MP, the Chair of the Committee, said:
          “We welcome the Government’s engagement with the Committee on many Bills, but we are aware that there are still patches of bad practice within Government that without good reason make our job of scrutiny harder than it ought to be.
          "We are also concerned at the capacity of Government to rush Bills through both Houses or to table significant numbers of amendments late in the day, both of which practices seriously impede the scrutiny that Parliament expects this Committee to carry out.”
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bitch
            I used to 'Google' all the time.

I have to wear glasses now!
            Indeed so, squire. When Mum said "You'll go blind looking at that stuff," she wasn't far wrong. I have since learned to keep my eyes shut most of the time.

Seriously though - nicely 'gophered' as regards Hywel Francis MP.

Comment

It wasn't just the looking that made you blind!

Comment

LOL - sounds very much like one of my little seafront matinées, BB. Anyone for a sausage ?
                You needed to have been at that public meeting to have appreciated the look on the junior health minister's face when Matthew Taylor asked him which planet he was living on. He was well p*ssed-off, even more so when the audience applauded and cheered Matthew Taylor for saying it to him.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                  Indeed so, Wales. It was the way that one dealt with the matter in hand that had the ultimate consequence.
                  Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                  You needed to have been at that public meeting to have appreciated the look on the junior health minister's face when Matthew Taylor asked him which planet he was living on. He was well p*ssed-off, even more so when the audience applauded and cheered Matthew Taylor for saying it to him.
                  That sure seems to demonstrate the 'follow the flock' mentality, doesn't it ? The Etonian shepherd has immense power - and perhaps we need to realise this.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                    Indeed so, Wales. It was the way that one dealt with the matter in hand that had the ultimate consequence.
                    I do hope it wasn't a messy affair, or anything which put you in a sticky situation.

Comment

I originally considered such organisations as Avaaz, Change, 38 Degrees etc., as having loud voices but no teeth, but they DO seem to have an effect - especially when our Dave says we are all in it together as the 'Big Society,' bless him !!!

If any law is being rushed through in the dead of night, then it is being sneaked in, IMO. As such, it must be treated with maximum suspicion. I shall certainly be sending Chloe a piece of my mind - while I still have some left.

FWIW, I believe 38 degrees is the 'tipping point' at which snow avalanches, if anyone is curious about the name.
                      .... as Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt can confirm.

Comment

LOL - I've been googling again - old habits die hard.

"Jeremy Richard Streynsham Hunt"

I honestly thought his middle name was 'Berkeley' - dunno why, though - it just seemed to fit somehow...

Comment

Didn't Big Dave refer to him recently as Mike?
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                            Didn't Big Dave refer to him recently as Mike?
                            I didn't see that, Nobby. He may have been referring to the Public Address hardware, which can often be a problem - as our dear departed Norman Collier so often attempted to attest in words of more syllables than are considered healthy.

Comment

What I -eant was, -e -alled -im m- --nt!

CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

LOL - I've been googling again - old habits die hard.

"Jeremy Richard Streynsham Hunt"

I honestly thought his middle name was 'Berkeley' - dunno why, though - it just seemed to fit somehow...
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_...8politician%29

I love the bit on his expenses. He defrauded the tax payer to the tune of over £20000, but it was just a 'misinterpretation of the rules.'

If you or I did that, we'd be in prison - look where he is. God, Head Boy at Charterhouse, 1st at Magdelin College in PPE where contemporaries were Boris Johnson and guess who? Why, David Cameron of course.

It's all on ability mind, not jobs for the boys, especially those who steal over £20000 of taxpayers money.

Hmmm......... how very cosy!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X