• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Where there's a Will.........there are potential problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where there's a Will.........there are potential problems

My own Father was a Liverpudlian,,scouse blood coarsed thru his veins,,hated living in the soppy South,,jessies lol

He picked his own funeral music,,had the usual,,Abide with me,Ferry cross the Mersey,,,,,,,and for his fond last hurrah he had tipped the Vicar off not to tell anyone until the day..As we stood watching his coffin trundle off,Gerry Marsden suddenly belted out 'You'll never walk alone'.............nothing unusual with that......except we all knew MY DAD WAS A DOUBLE AMPUTEE,,HE HADN'T WALKED ANYWHERE,,LEAST OF ALL ALONE,,FOR 20 YEARS !! We were in absolute hysterics to say the least,,bless the ole git x

Comment

You can buy a work of art.:beagle: this will allow you to keep all of your benefits, pay no tax and when it suits you sell the artwork for a profit.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

[QUOTE=Weefatfella;284877]You can buy a work of art.:beagle: this will allow you to keep all of your benefits, pay no tax and when it suits you sell the artwork for a profit.:tinysmile_grin_t:[/QUOTEI could,,but I have this really awkward thing called a moral compass and a conscience and as yet no idea what may or may not have been bequeathed but I do know I will do the right thing when the time comes

Comment

I'm not sure if inherited wealth is exempt, but some years back, I acquired a few grand in equity from the sale of our previous home after moving to Scotland and living in rented accomodation. We were claiming benefits, as I was effectively starting a new life, and building up a small business. I declared this 'windfall,' whereupon our benefits stopped immediately. I then 'disbursed' this money pretty quickly on repaying debts, replacing our old banger, and investing in the business. There followed a long battle where the local council & DHSS said that I had deliberately spent the money in order to become eligible for benefits, and that this disqualified me from claiming.

I argued that there were in fact many 'allowable' ways to dispose of such a windfall, and that the above disbursements were all allowable. It took a lot of arguing, but in the end I got the benefits re-instated while still able to enjoy the benefit of a decent car, reduced debts, and a growing business.

I'm not sure if buying a work of art would be on the list of 'allowables' - although it may be allowable under a different set of rules or laws. But I'm pretty sure that there would be a list of allowable disbursements of an inheritance.

Comment

The first proper day of dealing with things..Off to hospital to get Death Certificate,then get at least 6 copies,then off to meet other Executor,go to house to meet undertaker...........and let the arrangements begin .Sad times

Comment

Inca,

We've not been "formally" introduced, but I have read many of your threads, some with laughter, some with sadness and some with complete shock, but just wanted to add my condolences to the many others on LB. I lost my Dad in March this year, so know a little of how you are feeling right now. A nurse at the hospice Dad was in passed me a little quote the night he died, and I carry it round with me always, it brought me some comfort and I hope I can pass that on to you now.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, Love leaves us memories no one can steal"

Take care Inca hunni.

Kit xx
              One life - Live it!

Comment

Funeral organised, He has completely got his affairs in order ,have now seen Will,,and all policys etc,no great surprises (yet) lol,,am jaded today Thankyou all for every kind word of encouragment,,,I shall be picking brains for weeks to come ,,so batten down ya hatches xxx

Comment

Well done Inca XX

Comment

At least you know where you stand now Inca with all the uncertaintanty you had not knowing if what and maybe....and now having made a start you will be able to see the wood from the trees and be able to move forward hun.

In our religion we bury our deceased very quickly normally within 24/36 hours, so we do not have time to take everything on board, although we do have a period of mourning where prayers are said every evening for a week whereby family and friends come to the home to pay their respects all throughout the week. Sometimes I think it is the right way because thats the tradition but sometimes I think a longer time to prepare and plan a funeral is better and more thought can be put into the day by preparing the way that you want it or the deceased wishes.

Hun, we are all here for you if you need a shoulder to cry on or any help whatsoever - just shout away.

XXXXXX

Comment

Thankyou Tutts hun,,ALL of you have been so fabulous,,Bill had the dubious pleasure of chatting to me in the wee small hours,,sleep is avoiding me,,whisky is the cure for the lads..Tomorrow is going to be the first real test,my son (who regards FIL as his Grandad) is home from Corfu,and I haven't told him Makes me feel sick just thinking about it,so my Dr has altered my drug regime just for tomorrow so I can go to the airport,(10.22pm)landing.It's my duty as his Mum to tell him myself (i don't like being a grown up )

All of you are totally fabulous,,and I mean that from the bottom of my swinging brick,,,,I mean heart xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X