• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LB Meet-Spring 2012--YORK - LB's 5th Birthday!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LB Meet-Spring 2012--YORK - LB's 5th Birthday!!

the view from the Hilton Hotel to Cliffords Tower where the geese seem to live now on the hill and then a short walk for them down to the river as they came with us when we went on our Riverboat evening cruise.

Clifford's Tower:
    Massacre at York (1190)

The site of Clifford's Tower, the keep of York's medieval castle, still bears witness to the most horrifying event in the history of English Jewry. On the night of 16 March 1190, the feast of Shabbat ha-Gadol, the small Jewish community of York was gathered together for protection inside the tower. Rather than perish at the hands of the violent mob that awaited them outside, many of the Jews took their own lives; others died in the flames they had lit, and those who finally surrendered were massacred and murdered.

Understandably, this appalling event has become the most notorious example of antisemitism in medieval England. Yet, it was by no means an isolated incident, but rather the culmination of a tide of violent feeling which swept the country in the early part of 1190.
    Clifford's Tower and the Jews of Medieval York (English Heritage, 1995)

Background

ORIGINS OF YORK'S JEWISH COMMUNITY

According to English Heritage, by the 1170s there were two primary incentives for the establishment of a Jewish community in York:
    . . . The first was the existence within the city of an important royal castle, which could be used in times of danger to protect the town's Jewish community. In the late twelfth century, York Castle consisted of the motte (mount) on which the present Clifford's Tower stands, and an outer bailey (courtyard) extending to the south. Instead of the present stone tower, the motte would have been surrounded by a strong timber tower or keep.

A second and even more significant incentive was the emergence amongst the lords, gentry, and religious houses of Yorkshire of a need for financial credit. Jewish money-lenders were well equipped to satisfy this demand and the king himself had set a precedent by using their services from about 1164 onwards. Indeed, the Jews were to become a source of enormous wealth to the Crown -- not only as money-lenders but as the target of relentless taxation. (p. 1-2)
    THE CRUSADES

The New Jewish Encyclopedia defines the Crusades as the:
    . . . holy wars waged by the Christian countries of Europe for the purpose of recapturing Palestine from the Mohammedans. These wars started at the end of the 11th century and continued to the beginning of the 13th century. The specific object of these religious wars was to free the sepulcher of Jesus, sacred to Christians, from the hands of the Moslem "unbelievers." There were four such major Crusades in the years 1096, 1146, 1187, and 1203. . . . (p. 101)
    The Encyclopedia notes that the Crusades were a "bitter and prolonged ordeal" for the Jews of Europe; it was in this context that the massacre at York occurred in 1190:
    . . . The ignorant mobs were incited by the leaders of the Crusades to pillage and massacre whole Jewish communities. The cry was: "Before attempting to revenge ourselves upon the Moslem unbelievers, let us first revenge ourselves upon the 'killers of Christ' living in our midst!" Thousands of Jews perished, and entire Jewish communities were wiped out. To this day, the Jewish liturgy contains prayers commemorating the martyrs of that dreadful period. (p. 101)
    CORONATION OF KING RICHARD I

After the death of Henry II, a protector of England's Jews, in July 1189, Henry II's oldest son, Richard I (Coeur-de-lion, 1189-1199), was crowned at Westminster:
    . . . When a Jewish deputation appeared at Westminster Abbey with rich gifts on behalf of all the communities in the realm, they were refused admission. The humiliated representatives of Jewry were hooted by the palace guards; the mob without proceeded to throw stones at them. A false rumor spread that the king had ordered the destruction of the Jews. Unable to penetrate into their strongly fortified stone houses, the populace set fire to the straw roofs of the dwellings. Many who essayed to escaped were ruthlessly butchered; others, among them Jacob of Orleans, slew themselves when the alternative was baptism. A few Jews, however, saved themselves by this alternative; one of these [was] the rich Benedict of York . . . . The riot lasted twenty-four hours; the chief justice and some noblemen, whom the king sent to quell the disorder, were forced to withdraw. The king, on learning what had happened, had three of the participants hanged. He let it be understood that the Jews must not be molested and had proclamation made to that effect throughout England and his French dominions. Scarcely, however, had Richard crossed the Channel to join Philip Augustus in the Crusade, when riots broke out afresh; so at Lynn, ostensibly because the Jews attacked a baptized coreligionist who had taken refuge in a church; also at Norwich; at Stamford; at Bury St. Edmunds (1190). The Jews of Lincoln saved themselves betimes by seeking refuge in the royal castle. . . . (Margolis and Marx, pp. 386-387)
    (It should be noted that Benedict of York recanted his Christianity before the king the next day; he later died of his wounds in Northampton. Because he was, by law, neither Jew nor Christian, he could not be buried in the Jewish or the Christian cemetery.)

16 March 1190: The Massacre of the Jews of York

On the night of 16 March 1190, the Jewish feast of Shabbat ha-Gadol, 150 men, women and children died at the royal castle at York, where Clifford’s Tower now stands. Many died following a mass-suicide and the rest at the hands of a mob waiting outside.
    Jewish communities had been established in London in the 11th century after William I (the Conqueror) had invited the Jews to England. The communities spread to other parts of the country, first
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TUTTSI; 6th May 2012, 22:11:PM. Reason: added pictures

Comment

Thank you to Enaid, Mrs...Mrs...James, Sapphire, and others who couldn't make it and wished us well, nevertheless - your wishes bore fruit !!! 'Twas a helluva weekend. Jax - so glad you made it after your setbacks. Thank you for the Starbucks tuition, ma'am - "Mio No Speako Americano...!!!"
      Emdee - we may yet be able to get a carshare from Northants next time. Brighton is pencilled in for Spring 2013 (Mayan Calendar permitting...!!!)
      Ame & Tools - Yep, it was lovely to see you guys there. Even more magical to see your wonderful team of "Beaglettes" with you. If anybody remembers those old 'Hamlet' ads that always had the hook-line "Happiness is...." ...I saw that on Saturday night. What a lovely bunch of kidz. Credit to yaz, guys.

Heyyy, I didn't see that... Who was the guy who got 'lamped' ??? So sorry to hear that, Ame. My sympathies go to the loser of that particular argument. We gain by learning from such altercations !!! The 'silhouette' "5" against the backdrop of Clifford's Tower was a great little photo, I reckon. It was nice to say 'Hi' to CYNthesis, too. These are difficult times for many of us (were they ever otherwise ?) - and it is nice to be able to put those difficulties aside for a while - and just enjoy some "communion" with each other.

Comment

What a brilliant weekend--really went well and so pleased to have met everybody

Me, Tutts & Bill were getting a bit worried at one stage ( off thread) re the numbers when we had Mr & Mrs James & Sapphire and Les drop out --Glad your dad getting better Mrs J & hope you got me Drogba's autograph Sapphy.--lol

But we needn't have worried--suddenly there was Amethyst & Tools with junior Beagles, SpringerSpaniel, Jax after Mum's fall and also Cynthesys & daughter ---22 at the quiz in Stonegate Yard-brilliant

Later-we will all be adding a few photos--but over the weekend
        • We met in "The 3 Tuns" for a few scoops on Friday at 4:30-ish till dinner
        • Floodlit River Cruise at 9:15 Friday
        • Back to "The 3 Tuns" till we were all last to leave (past midnight)
        • Saturday Morning-Jorvik Centre
        • Saturday-Betty's for Tuttsi's group
        • Walk the Walls for Bill's group
        • Saturday Quiz & drinks at Stonegate Yard from 4:30-6:15
        • Then the LB Birthday party at Hilton--from 7:30 to midnight-super speech from Celestine-then till 1:30 am for Cel,Springer,Jax & me & Mrs Turbo-lol
        • Sunday Bill's group on the York Wheel--waiting for some good photos from that Bill,Maxie & Shell
        • Me & Mrs Turbo,Tuttsi & Mr Tuttsi,Jax & Springer wander through Shambles-& meet Bill Maxie & Shell also-pmsl
        • Farewells & Coffee at Hilton 1:00pm

As most of you know-me & Bill were "Forum Tarts" and spent loads of time in Ed's PAG where most members are also LB'ers--but we gave an invitation in there too and so pleased that Pawnbrokers came + Maxie & Shell (who both are now very active in LB)

Monz--the youngest of the group--everybody so pleased to meet you-and fantastic for Mrs Turbo to talk "horses stuff" with you too
        Maxie--well -what can I say lol-- I knew well but never met in person--a true diamond
        Pawnbrokers & Julie----you had us in stitches all Friday night & Saturday night--Julie also so so nice and congratulations on engagement too
        Shell--travelling down from Scotland with Bill--you have my sympathy-lol--Hope to see you again Shell
        SpringerSpaniel--also first time on a meet--why is everybody on LB so so nice---(and so intelligent-lol)
        Cynthesys & Daughter--also first time meeting everybody (Springer so pleased I'm sure )--a fellow Yorkshire accent --even if if yours is Wessy Yorkshire-lol--yet another really nice person
        Celestine--not met before but talked on phone a bit--didn't realize anybody could talk that fast --our resident singer and a truly nice lady--Quiz organiser too (she fed me an easy question and I got it wrong--lol)
        Bill--my mate --thanks for helping put this together--you're a true gent......but there again.............
        Jax--so pleased you made it Sat by train--after London me & Mo really looked forward to meeting you again
        Amethyst & Tools + Junior Beagles--fantasic surprise to see you both again in Stonegate Yard--and at the dinner-you both deserved that applause for establishing the site in the first 5 years
        And lastly my good friends Tuttsi & Alan--Thanks for sharing the organisation with me btw--its a lot better when there's 3 of us--good company as always .....and true friends.

Will do photos during day--(with Photobucket as Cel wants)

Turbs
        Last edited by Turboman; 8th May 2012, 16:55:PM.

Comment

I'll get photos up first and annotate later-remove duplicates etc---lol---hard to see the wood from the trees when you got a lot with similar names

Starting with Dinner---other stuff on Friday & Sat & Sunday to come later as separate posts
          (Prior to posting these photos--I obtained permission from Ame to include the Mini Beagles)

Dinner at the Hilton---7:30-ish till 12:00am

No words required---except to say the Hilton decorated the tables beautifully--with balloons,table-stars & party poppers
          +++loads of attentive waiters

The Mini-Beagles with Tools & Amethyst in background at r/h

Mini-Beagles + at l/h--Pawnbrokers--at r/h..Ms Pawnbroker & Mrs Turbo

at l/h...Pawnbrokers,SpringerSpaniel,Bill-k
          at r/h...Ms Pawnbrokers,Mrs Turbo,Jax,Celestine,Tuttsi,Mr Tuttsi & Amethyst on window seat

at l/h...Bill-k
          at r/h..Ms Pawnbrokers,Mrs Turbo,Jax,Celestine,Tuttsi,Mr Tuttsi,Monzter ..Amethyst on window seat

from left--Celestine , Jax, Mrs Turbo with Amethyst behind

from r/h down table--Jax,Amethyst,Celestine,Tuttsi,Mr Tuttsi,Monzter

Who else but Maxie Girl-lol

From l/h up table..Monzter,Mr Tuttsi,Tuttsi
          From r/h ...Shell

l/h...Monzter,Mr Tuttsi,Tuttsi
          r/h...Shell

r/h going up table...Shell,Bill-k, Springer

l/h..Pawnbrokers, Turbo
          r/h..Ms Pawnbrokers

l/h..Pawnbrokers, Turbo, Springer, Bill-k

Maxie Girl

l/h..Tools, Jax, Mrs Turbo, Ms Pawnbrokers
          r/h..Bill-k, Springer, Turbo

Tools,Jax,Mrs Turbo,Ms Pawnbrokers

AND LATER AT 1:30--Celestine

Last edited by Turboman; 8th May 2012, 22:51:PM.

Comment

Turbs - lovely sentiments and straight from heart!

I owe Shell an apology as on my own thank you post I omitted her. Unforgiveable ... so sorry Shell!

And I still haven't cut my grass - bloody raining AGAIN!!!

xx

Comment

loverly

Comment

Few more--will annotate & remove duplicates tonight-hard bit is uploading & downloading etc--brb after tea maybe

Plaque on Micklegate Bar detailing the "heads" impaled after "The Battle of Townton"

Micklegate Bar where royalty always enter the city

Staithes Landing Tuesday-lol

Maxie & Monz

Monz flanked by 2 Knights-lol

Tuttsi & Maxie

Tuttsi & Shell

Mrs Turbo,Tuttsi,Mr Tuttsi & Shell

Maxie & a Viking Knight

Shell

Outside M&S

Hilton Farewells

Last edited by Turboman; 9th May 2012, 23:29:PM.

Comment

Great pics Turbs, you all look like you had a fab couple days out and about in York - lovely city Look forwards to more later xxxxx
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Well, what can I say???? I met some people this weekend that have quite literally changed my life so much for the better!!

Being totally honest I thought that with me being relatively new to the site and nowhere near as knowledgeable as the others, that I might be on the edge of the group.

So so so wrong I was!! It was like meeting with people I have known for a lot longer than 6 months! I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was made to feel as much a part of it all as I was when I first joined Beagles. I had a wonderful afternoon on Friday with Turbs and Mrs Turbs (a fellow horsey person ) and then met the not at all grumpy Bill and Shell and Maxie who greeted me like old friends! Later on I met Tuttsi and Mr Tuttsi (who I learned so much from this weekend!!) and Pawnbrokers and Julie I then had the worlds largest chip buttie in the 3 tuns lol - that was some serious bread! The boat cruise was fantastic, even with the 'geese police' about!
                    Jorvic was fantastic, I am so glad and grateful that I could go. The walk round the walls with Bill and Maxie was fun and interesting "Bill - come in a bit" Maxie and I were a little nervous on some of the stretches of wall that were quite high without railings but Bill had no such concerns

The quiz was funny even though I only got one question I think 'Pepe le peu' lol shows my level of intelligence.......... lol was lovely to meet Springer Spaniel, Jax, Cyn (short but sweet) Ame, Tools and the mini beagles and Cel.

The meal at the Hilton was lovely - I had a really good chat with Cel and met Ame and Tools properly - the mini beagles are such lovely kids, I may be coming to you for some parenting tips!!

Sunday I wandered about town and got some bits and bobs for the folks at home, and visited the railway museum until my coach left at 2.45pm. (Maxie I got the pic of the Hogwarts express for my sisters house mate lol) Unfortunately I missed the farewell coffee at the Hilton - but had a farewell phonecall

Thank you all so much for a great weekend, I have come away feeling so much a part of this wonderful site that Cel, Ame and Tools have done a sterling job on. I feel I have made some great friends in everyone - Turbs & Mrs Turbs, Shell, Bill, Tuttsi & Mr Tuttsi, Maxie girl, Springer, Jax and PB.

What a great thing to be a part of Thank you!!!

Comment

It certainly looks like you all had a great time, I've been to York before and have always enjoyed a visit there, I am so glad you all got on so well.

Comment

Just rung Kirstyn in Hilton to thank her for her help and the immaculate arrangements--fantastic table arrangements, balloons,stars & poppers etc and loads of waiters

She iced the Beagle btw

Sending her some photos too

Comment

Hi All,
                          I am soo sorry I have not been around or posted any pics up as yet but I have come home and back down to reality with a bump to two very poorly Grandchildren with very heavy colds and ear infections so am very busy nursing them back to health at the mo.. but will get here as soon as I can ok.. xxx

Turbs, I'm not familiar with Photo bucket (you know what I'm like with techie stuff) so could I send them to you via email for you to sort out for me please.?? there is a lot of pics though so may have to send them over in batches.. lol

Comment

No problems Maxie--send em to the address
                            Simiantics@gmail.com for time being----we will have a better system within a week once cel,me and bill and ame got a better system of using photobucket

hope family better soon x

Originally posted by Maxie Girl View Post
                            Hi All,
                            I am soo sorry I have not been around or posted any pics up as yet but I have come home and back down to reality with a bump to two very poorly Grandchildren with very heavy colds and ear infections so am very busy nursing them back to health at the mo.. but will get here as soon as I can ok.. xxx

Turbs, I'm not familiar with Photo bucket (you know what I'm like with techie stuff) so could I send them to you via email for you to sort out for me please.?? there is a lot of pics though so may have to send them over in batches.. lol

Comment

Did you get me Drogba's autograph--pmsl

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
                              It certainly looks like you all had a great time, I've been to York before and have always enjoyed a visit there, I am so glad you all got on so well.

Comment

Turbs, Any idea which email account would hold the most pics at any one time to send them over to you.?? Out of these 3 different email accounts (Windows Mail) (Hotmail) or (G-Mail) I have 155 pics and I take it they all have to be uploaded into the email individually huh.??:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X