• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LB Meet-Spring 2012--YORK - LB's 5th Birthday!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LB Meet-Spring 2012--YORK - LB's 5th Birthday!!

May 3rd we'rre in Portugal, Maay 4th travel back from Portugal straight to York, May 19th my biirthday, its get's better all the time :help:

Comment

hi all,i work in york,,,,,,2 good places to stay are the lamb and lion and the guyfawkes,,these are on peter gate and are dead oldy worldy,ive stayed at both a few times,,,internet offers,the rooms go for about £90 quid for a double with breakfast.....both a one minute walk from york minster........hope this helps....regards

Comment

Hi Rifty

Many thanks for the info it is greatly appreciated. I do hope that you will come and join us during the weekend, the itinerary will be posted up very soon so we hope to see you in York.

Originally posted by rifty View Post
        hi all,i work in york,,,,,,2 good places to stay are the lamb and lion and the guyfawkes,,these are on peter gate and are dead oldy worldy,ive stayed at both a few times,,,internet offers,the rooms go for about £90 quid for a double with breakfast.....both a one minute walk from york minster........hope this helps....regards

Comment

Charity just sent me this

You have to book via the link btw--not via Premier

Thanks Chaz

Hotel Sales: Slash the cost of hotel stays

Comment

Itinerary for the Legal Beagles York Meet and 5th Birthday of May 4th/5th 2012

I have tried throughout the thread to promote York and illustrate some of its charms - as most of the Meet Participants are treating this as a Mini-Break as well as attending the Legal Beagles Meet.

Throughout the thread lots of people have posted various attractions and thanks in particular to Monzter & Main Man for the various links they have posted.

Thanks in particular to Tuttsi, Bill-k and Sapphire for acting as sounding boards and helping to organise things too--both in chivving people along and in helping to organise this particular important post.

Can everybody make sure that they have requested the excellent York Visitor Guide which is free (received by post not on computer) where there are lists of attractions and several maps - also the VisitYork link in that post takes you to loads of stuff about York. The link and instructions for requesting it to be sent to you are at end of post 1.

For those not yet committed--there are still guest houses and Hotels with accomodation at reasonable rates - please PM me if you need some links.
            Everyone is wecome and it's not to late to join in.-see this link just passed to me from Charity
            Hotel Sales: Slash the cost of hotel stays

York is a beatiful city and famous as a tourist city in its own right - I came across a few articles which claimed it was the 2nd most popular tourist city in England - might not be correct--but with its relative compactness - it really feels like it is.

Within the walls of York are a whole host of attractions (usually around £10-ish) and we aint all going to be attracted to the same thing - so this Itinary has a few alternatives we can pre-book if we want and others that we can go to in smaller groups or individually if preferred. On the Friday night meet-up in the Henry J Beans pub - we can make sure that nobody is left by themselves on Saturday morning/afternoon.

Once in your accomodation look for the smaller pocket size guide as below:

While in York - myself, Bill-k & Tuttsi are "Contacts" - we will know where everybody is - so if you get lost - ring one of us -- so please PM me your mobile number and I will give Bill & Tuttsi the full list. I will also PM all of you with the numbers of myself, Bill & Tuttsi shortly.

There are many attractions in York but the most popular are:
            • York Minster
            • The Jorvik Centre
            • YorkBoats
            • YorkBus
            • York Dungeons
            • York Eye
            • Yorkshire Museum
            • Castle Museum
            • Ghost Hunts
            • Bettys Tea Rooms
            • York Sweet Story
            • National railway Museum
            • Walks on the City walls
            • Meandering round the old quirky streets in the Minster Quarter (mauve on your maps)
            • York Art Gallery- free admission
            • Cliffords Tower
            • St Williams College
            • York Glaziers Trust
            • The Shambles
            • The Mansion House
            • Treasurers House
            • Kings Manor
            • Merchant Adventurers Hall
            • The Quilt Museum
            • Yorkshire Museum
            • St Marys Abbey

So moving onto the main arrangements for the weekend - as ever on Legal Beagles Meets - meeting places are normally pubs and I have selected 3 as below--there will be Legal Beagles posters btw so you will know you are in the right place.

The Stonegate Yard within Little Stonegate (off Stonegate) & 3-5 mins from Betty's
            Welcome to Stonegate Yard

The3 Tuns on Coppergate (3 mins from Jorvik Centre)
            http://www.visityork.org/eating/thed...&bf=1&ba=APEWM

Henry J Beans in Tower Street next to Hilton
            Henry J Beans York, York. A great place to drink, eat and party in York.

So I will now detail the options re going together on attractions and the times we are meeting in the pubs.
            There is , of course, no obligation to go on any of the attractions - I post them so that we a have structure to go on things together if we so desire.

FRIDAY AFTERNOON

For those that arrive early-

Have a walk around the walls, or the Minster Quarter or possibly the YorkBus for about an hour and a quarter (£10)
            Those by car-if time-go round the inner ring road in anti-clockwise directions to see the awesome walls and various Gates -
            -and if you are at a a loose end--call in at Stonegate Yard where there might be others too-if early arrivals.(ring me as I will be going there to check arrangements)

Also--lots of good shops-see your guide-but there is a ginormous M&S in Parliament Street under the clock---2 whole floors for herself-1 for himself incl. a coffee bar.

FRIDAY TEATIME ---Meet at Henry J Beans s--for initial meet-up and discussions re Saturday plans

I have a reserved area from 4:30pm & 15% off draught beers,cocktails and food (Wild Card fee waived)

We have a quick "Welcome from LB" from Sapphire, (if her plane from Portugal isn't delayed and she can get up the M1 in good time, otherwise she'll do it on Saturday and introduce our leader Celestine).
            then informally we can get to know each other and discuss plans for Saturday.

THEN--those that are on half board at Hilton-have dinner there around 6:30 ish

RE-Meet at Henry J Beans around 8:15 ish

t
            hen Floodlit Boat Trip at 8:45 (boarding)
            York Boat - Floodlit Evening Cruise 2012

or Ghost walks at 7:30 (Kings Arms Pub)/8:00 (outside Cliffords Tower)
            The Original Ghost Walk of York, North Yorkshire, England: Believed to be the first exclusive Ghost Walk in the World!

Then-do whatever takes your fancy ie walk "Shambles by Night" and Lower Petergate etc or music pubs for young and young at heart. (list to be posted later)---or nightcap in The 3 Tuns

SO-we need to know who is interested in the floodlit YorkBoat Cruise (£8.50) for pre-booking (£7.50 over 60's)--or the Ghost Walks (£4-5 )or whether you prefer to stay in the pub--lol--(I've been on ghost walks in winter when its dark-not sure what its like in summer though)

SATURDAY MORNING

This is the ideal time for those want to visit The Jorvik Centre
            Jorvik Viking Centre | About Jorvik

--we need to individually pre-book ( and pay) --£9.25(£8.25 for over 60's)--at the same time (not essential but nice and social)---After York Minster-this is the Jewel in York's Crown imo--also there are discounts if booking more than 1 attraction--01904-615505 if trouble booking on line.

From feedback gained-I think most people will be going on this one.
            Please note that there is no walking as you ride round in motorised capsules.

Jorvik Viking Centre | Home page
            JORVIK Viking Centre, York - Book Tickets for JORVIK, DIG and Barley Hall Online

I and Tuttsi already booked for 10:40am for Saturday May 5th--31 places left in that slot ---no special group reference required to book.

Please let us know who will be going on this one.

SATURDAY LUNCHTIME

After the Jorvik Centre - meet up at The 3 Tuns at around 12:30-ish to arrange next outing--have lunch if required--and a "little light refreshment"

A little tip---the 8 oz beefburger meals are enormous, and would easily cater for 2 people---they come on a glorified large breadboard ideal for sharing.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

The options here are:

Bettys ---- for afternoon tea (hosted by Tuttsi) at 3:00pm--Tuttsi + hubby, Jax, Celestine, Springerspaniel already going--any others-please PM Tuttsi direct--cost £25.95 per person
            Bettys York | Bettys Online

Bettys is famous thoughout the land , very prestigous and bestows real "bragging rights" for taking tea there. (bit like the Ritz )

National Railway Museum ---(free admission ) world famous-- no description neccessary - see website
            National Railway Museum

York Dungeon-
            -I have 20 "2 for 1" vouchers (effective price £7.80 each) but not pre bookable slots ---- or prebook at £11.70-15.60 depending on timeslot--I think Bill will be hosting this one--bit scary for me though.
            York Dungeon *Official site* | The scariest day out | Up to 35% off

York Eye and Walls walks -- probabably hosted by Bill--York Eye is £8.50 (but can ride it Friday & Sat & Sun )--The information Centre recommends walking the walls from Peasholme Green to Petergate and from War Memorial Gardens to Skeldergate Bridge (Paragon street bit not very pretty)

Castle Museum -- £8.50-- The Victorian Street and the Sixties Themes are spectacular--but I think it might be too much to do on Saturday.
            York Castle Museum - What's On

Meandering around York in general -- the Visitor Guide is useful for this--especially the mauve streets in the Minster Quarter--Shambles is a must.
            Lots of flagstones and cobbled streets - so Mrs Turbo says for the ladies to wear appropiate footwear.

Shopping areas described on page 31 of the Visitor Guide

Also The King's Arms is worth a visit to see the height of various floods inside the pub--

you see it from Low ousegate Bridge---
            The King's Arms, York - Telegraph

--During the afternoon, if at a loose end or in need of a"rest"--call in at Stonegate Yard where there just might be others too-maybe.

SATURDAY TEATIME

Main meet-time at cordoned off area at Stonegate Yard at 4:30 ish to -7:00 ish --speech by Celestine and general get together including a Quiz
            Those at Bettys are only 3-5 mins away

SATURDAY DINNER-----------------------------------------------The Big Birthday Party

Evening 3 course meal at the Hilton Hotel (£15) -- at 7:45 for 8:00

I hope everybody will come (please PM me) - we will have LB Birthday Cake and Balloons etc---pmsl---and should get another speech if Cel is sober.

Smart Casual dress ok--no need for the usual LB Dinner Suits & Evening Gowns msl:msl:

Freetime after 10:00 for general wandering---finishing for nightcap at The 3 Tuns or Stonegate Yard depending on where you are ----or music pubs for young and young at heart. (I'll post some up later)

SUNDAY MORNING

Lots of time for people to do some of the things as above --
            ie could go to Castle Museum again in the afternoon if time allows

We might attend York Minster service at 10:00am

On Saturday--we will know what time people are going back and we can arrange meet for farewells over coffee at a place we will decide later.

Last edited by Turboman; 13th April 2012, 07:10:AM. Reason: updated YorkBoat prices

Comment

Right---Jorvik Centre

just booked on line---but there is no 10:30 slot

so booked for 10:40 on sat May 5th

33 places left at moment for that pre booked slot

no special group reference neccessary

Turbs

Comment

We have just booked so now only 31 places left.

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
                Right---Jorvik Centre

just booked on line---but there is no 10:30 slot

so booked for 10:40 on sat May 5th

33 places left at moment for that pre booked slot

no special group reference neccessary

Turbs

Comment

I have just pre-booked on-line for YorkBoats Evening Floodlit Cruise

Date is open up to 3/11/2012 but we are using it on Friday May 4th --boarding King Staith Landing from 8:45 for 9:15 sailing

Prices are £1 cheaper than on quayside (£8.50).(£7.50 over 60's)

York Boat - Floodlit Evening Cruise 2012

Comment

Well hello lol

Ok here's what I'm pretty sure I will be doing from the itinerary, I haven't booked anything yet so it's subject to change but if all goes well -

Arrive Fri about 11.30 am (cheapest train tickets lol) and I'll have some lunch and then check into my B and B around 1ish. Will have a wander down to Sronegate yard and see who's about. Then meet everyone at HJB's at 4.30pm. Have dinner wherever (Mc D's suits me lol but I'll tag along with anyone else that's not at the Hilton. Then meet at HJB's again and then Id like the boat trip at 8.45pm.

Sat - Yorvik at 10.40 (will confirm when booked) and then meet at 3 tuns at 12.30. I'm opting for a wander round York in the afternoon and then meet everyone at the Hilton for dinner at 7.45pm, (Is that really just £15?? And do I need to pay anything before the day or anything?).

Sun - again due to going for cheapest fares I'm not leaving until 2.50pm, so I'd like to attend the York Minster service and then have some lunch with anyone who's still around. I can always kill time if everyone leaves before me in a park or at the statio with a good book

Comment

I'll book Jorvik for Max and myself at 1040 Sat., then - plus the boat trip on Friday night. Shell might be interested in the same.

Sunday Service at the Minster would be nice, methinks, too. How can one do York without doing York Minster ?

Excellent work, here, Turbo.

Comment

Monz

I'll see you sometime then Friday Aft as we are going to ask for an early checkin

Don't forget Sat 4:30 ish Stonegate Yard --- time to meet your leader Celestine.

Yep--we having a lazy wander on Sat after lunch---I did say I might go to Castle Museum--but I dont think I can stand the pace so have edited it out-lol

£15 a special rate they are doing for us at Hilton--money up front not required

Don't forget to send me your phone number

Originally posted by Monzter View Post
                        Well hello lol

Ok here's what I'm pretty sure I will be doing from the itinerary, I haven't booked anything yet so it's subject to change but if all goes well -

Arrive Fri about 11.30 am (cheapest train tickets lol) and I'll have some lunch and then check into my B and B around 1ish. Will have a wander down to Sronegate yard and see who's about. Then meet everyone at HJB's at 4.30pm. Have dinner wherever (Mc D's suits me lol but I'll tag along with anyone else that's not at the Hilton. Then meet at HJB's again and then Id like the boat trip at 8.45pm.

Sat - Yorvik at 10.40 (will confirm when booked) and then meet at 3 tuns at 12.30. I'm opting for a wander round York in the afternoon and then meet everyone at the Hilton for dinner at 7.45pm, (Is that really just £15?? And do I need to pay anything before the day or anything?).

Sun - again due to going for cheapest fares I'm not leaving until 2.50pm, so I'd like to attend the York Minster service and then have some lunch with anyone who's still around. I can always kill time if everyone leaves before me in a park or at the statio with a good book

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
                          I'll book Jorvik for Max and myself at 1040 Sat., then - plus the boat trip on Friday night. Shell might be interested in the same.

Sunday Service at the Minster would be nice, methinks, too. How can one do York without doing York Minster ?

Excellent work, here, Turbo.
                          Bill would you book for me too please. If you have to pay up front let me know and I'll send the money.
                          Shell.

Comment

I've booked Jorvik at 1040 on Saturday morning for 3. I believe there are now 28 places left in that slot, after my booking.

Also, now, I've booked the Floodlit river cruise on Friday night for 3, and the York Wheel for 3.

From what I can make out, the wheel is 3 revolutions. I've heard that we can re-visit it on our original ticket, but I'll take that with a pinch of salt. Once is probably enough, anywayz.

I propose to do the City wall walk, and the Steam museum, on Saturday - so I'll be happy to be the 'hub' for those, if anyone else would like to do it as a group.

Comment

wish i could come but i have been told i am going to a family get together (shudders) and i can take the kids with me.... like im gonna leave em on the A1 with a map

Comment

Family must come first, Puff. Maybe next time, eh ?

I reckon you and our Essex-gal Sapphire would get on OK.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X